Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

With the valid complaints about the lack of diversity with Fresh Start, it looks like Marvel is going to start sprinkling in their old diverse titles under new names (West Cost Avengers) or bringing back the ones that managed to do better outside the Diamond market (Wasp and Iceman).

Although that does make me wonder if these books are going to do any better this go-around.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    How many times was that sort of thing done with Captain Marvel?
    We all know the main reason they kept her around was to build up her brand for her movie. Besides at least they changed writers over time. This is just repeat the same process that failed and somehow expect different results.

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    Come on accept the truth.

Diamond sales comics are no longer the only way for marvel to make money or decide if a comic is profitable or not.

Believe I'm equally surprised but this only means that readers and fans do not have all data or can see the whole picture. If it were to depend only on sales seen in the diamond rankings Moon Girl and Ms Marvel would have already been canceled.
    If that’s true, maybe a lot more on the bubble books will stick around a bit longer.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    With the valid complaints about the lack of diversity with Fresh Start, it looks like Marvel is going to start sprinkling in their old diverse titles under new names (West Cost Avengers) or bringing back the ones that managed to do better outside the Diamond market (Wasp and Iceman).

Although that does make me wonder if these books are going to do any better this go-around.
    Probably not but New Superman got 3 more trades thanks to the trade success of volume 1.

While I think it's more of a case of building a library for a character.

I think the REAL message is to certain folks-"We can find an AUDIENCE without YOU."

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Probably not but New Superman got 3 more trades thanks to the trade success of volume 1.

While I think it's more of a case of building a library for a character.

I think the REAL message is to certain folks-"We can find an AUDIENCE without YOU."
    I just question the thinking behind re-releasing a series in the floppy market if it was able to find more success outside of that market.

Wouldn't it be more sensible to release the series in a more direct way to that audience, either through graphic novels or digitally?

Or maybe this time Marvel will not be as quick to cancel the books despite their floppy sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    omg! who gives a crap about prehistoric Avengers?!! this is worse than that 1950s team. they are just diluting the brand.
    I know some people care, but I'm with you on this one. It's like the 1950's Avengers that they did in Avengers. It should be it's own mini and let Avengers be about the team that exists now.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    I know some people care, but I'm with you on this one. It's like the 1950's Avengers that they did in Avengers. It should be it's own mini and let Avengers be about the team that exists now.
    sure. I'm good with it being a spinoff. I'm even good with them appearing in the same capacity as that future Avengers team that Danielle Cage led. but I feel like they are getting way too much focus at a time when there's not a lot of avengers alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    Wasn't Avengers Mansion being rebuilt at the end of No Surrender?
    Yeah. But since all three previous Avengers teams disbanded, and Johnny Storm was funding them, I wonder, could the Fantastic Four be getting the Mansion instead? They've actually been based there before, though they were sharing with the Avengers.
    Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I think it's just considered too old-fashioned to use the mansion again. They try to recapture the magic of the 2005 Bendis relaunch that successfully replaced it with a modern tower. "Avengers Mountain" does sound like a stretch though.
    I wonder if it's Thunderbolts Mountain from the Dark Reign era?

I just question the thinking behind re-releasing a series in the floppy market if it was able to find more success outside of that market.

Wouldn't it be more sensible to release the series in a more direct way to that audience, either through graphic novels or digitally?

Or maybe this time Marvel will not be as quick to cancel the books despite their floppy sales.
    I have to admit - I did expect Wasp to be digital first.

Don't forget though, both Wasp and Iceman were axed when Alonso was still in charge, while it's Cebulski who reversed that decision.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 06-13-2018 at 07:03 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Spectacular Member

I'm not very knowledgeable about how publishing sales works, but maybe a monthly floppy release at least keeps a series in the mind of potential trade buyers through word of mouth, showing up in online newsfeeds and articles, etc? Probably more for name recognition? On the other hand no one buys the floppies so idk.
    Floppies as of November: Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman, Catwoman, The Green Lantern, Black Panther, Dead Man Logan, Domino, Exiles, Iceman, Immortal Hulk
    Digital as of November: Daughters of the Dragon, Iron Fist: Phantom Limb, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage.

Good for Iceman.

Quote Originally Posted by nickytesla96 View Post
    I'm a simple man. I like Ghost Rider. I like mammoths. Ghost Rider on a mammoth? I'm down. I'm a reader, ain't gonna let "brand dilution" ruin my enjoyment, that's for corporate to worry about lol.
    I'm not interested in the BC Avengers thing, but I agree with your reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by nickytesla96 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    Come on accept the truth.

Diamond sales comics are no longer the only way for marvel to make money or decide if a comic is profitable or not.

Believe I'm equally surprised but this only means that readers and fans do not have all data or can see the whole picture. If it were to depend only on sales seen in the diamond rankings Moon Girl and Ms Marvel would have already been canceled.
    Why is this even still a debate?
    While it's possible that some people really don't know this, I think most online readers ignore it since it would invalidate their little echo chambers of how Marvel pushes failing series as propaganda. They'd rather believe something false than accept that they might be mistaken or not have all the facts.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah. But since all three previous Avengers teams disbanded, and Johnny Storm was funding them, I wonder, could the Fantastic Four be getting the Mansion instead? They've actually been based there before, though they were sharing with the Avengers.
    I wonder if it's Thunderbolts Mountain from the Dark Reign era?

I have to admit - I did expect Wasp to be digital first.

Don't forget though, both Wasp and Iceman were axed when Alonso was still in charge, while it's Cebulski who reversed that decision.
    So apparently marvel is just shuffling all their real estate around. I wonder if there’s zillow for super heroes?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    While it's possible that some people really don't know this, I think most online readers ignore it since it would invalidate their little echo chambers of how Marvel pushes failing series as propaganda. They'd rather believe something false than accept that they might be mistaken or not have all the facts.
    I wonder how you will react when Wasp and Iceman are cancelled again? If either book had enough readership to keep going they never would've been cancelled in the first place. These books were unsustainable and unprofitable the first time around, continuing with the same failed writers and premise can only end in disaster. On that day, when Wasp or Iceman disappears from shelves again, you can't blame comic fans for being unwilling to accept such low quality products just because they have Marvel branding on them.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

The censored Spider-Man in Spider-geddon might be the PS4 game one or the jeans wearing one from the Spider-verse movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    sure. I'm good with it being a spinoff. I'm even good with them appearing in the same capacity as that future Avengers team that Danielle Cage led. but I feel like they are getting way too much focus at a time when there's not a lot of avengers alternatives.
    Hey I agree. I'm right there with ya.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark