Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Here's a question for Hawkfans:

WHICH Hawkman do you like better? The Golden Age reincarnated Prince Khufu or the Silver Age Thanagarian Katar Hol?
    I like both, honestly. Hawkworld is by far my favorite Hawk story though. I don't care what it did to DC's wider continuity; as a stand alone Hawk story it's excellent.

The reincarnation concept is relatively uncommon in comics. You can explore all of DC's history with the Hawks, and Egyptian history and myth is fascinating and really enriches the mythos when used right. Especially if you start working in other characters like Black Adam, Metamorpho, Ra's, Etrigan, Nabu, etc.

But Thanagar is probably one of the most interesting space civilizations in comics. I love the idea of the seven devils and how they influenced society, the fall of the Thanagarian empire.....I love the Stargate vibe to it all, and the fact that for most of its history Thanagar was at least moderately evil. A hero coming from such a place is an interesting story with some serious Elric overtones. The "space cop stuck on earth" angle isn't overly unique or interesting, but Thanagar itself is just so crazy cool I feel you'd be doing a huge disservice to the Hawks if you cut it out.

So I suppose my preference is for the combined origin because both options are too good to pass up, but I honestly am not sure if it's been done to its potential yet. I think Johns did a great job with the mess the Hawks had become post-Hawkworld/Zero Hour, but it still felt disjointed and clunky to me. I think there's a way to fold both versions into one origin that can still be boiled down into an easy-to-swallow bite.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

Bridge Four!

Yeah, that mini is still my favorite and I love the ongoing up until that last arc. The following Hakwman volume was bad in all of the 90s cliche ways. I guess you can say reformatting Thanagar as a gritty takedown of American politics is kind of a clich for its time, but I think it's one of the stories that justified the popularity of taking that sort of angle.

I can't really say I like Carter. And it's weird because Hawkman and Superman are two of my DC favorites, but growing up I thought Superman would be cooler if he seemed more alien and I thought Hawkman was cooler as a "human" American. And I basically switched preferences on both characters. Carter Hall to me is represented in that awkwardly hilarious Smallville tv show appearance. That sort of " don't laugh at me" thing that also kept me away from Aquaman when Johns relaunched him.

The Son of Suns Clairaudient Freedom Soldier's Avatar

My favorite variant design of Hawkman, remember him, compeers?

Top Artists Acuña, A Adams, Allred, Asrar, Bradshaw, V Bridges, JS Campbell, Caselli, Charest, C Chiang, Coipel, TS Daniel, Darrow, A Davis, Derington, Dodson, G Frank, Googe, G Ha, T Harris, Hawthorne, C Henry, A Hughes, Immonen, Larraz, Lupacchino, Maguire, Manapul, P Medina, McGuinness, McKone, J Molina, D Mora, SG Murphy, Opeña, B Peterson, Pichelli, I Reis, A Robinson, Rude, Shaner, K Shannon, RB Silva, Skroce, Sook, Sprouse, Torque, D Williams, Woods!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Here's a question for Hawkfans:
    WHICH Hawkman do you like better? The Golden Age reincarnated Prince Khufu or the Silver Age Thanagarian Katar Hol?
    I prefer the reincarnated Egyptian concept, and would love to see it tied into some longer-lived villains, who he may have encountered in previous lives over the centuries, like Vandal Savage and Circe (as well as longer-lived *heroes* that he may have past dealings with, like the Phantom Stranger, Dr. Fate and Dr. Mist/Nommo).

That said, Babylon 5 played with the notion that a human could contain the reincarnation of an alien soul (or vice versa), and it would be interesting to square the circle that way, and have the Thanagarian space cop actually be the reincarnation of a dynastic-era Egyptian, perhaps having been barred by some magical adversary from reincarnating as a human (which the adversary thought would bar him from reincarnating *at all,* but instead just forced his soul to go a little bit further to find a new host, and also served to explain why an alien space cop would inexplicably end up living on Earth full-time, pretty much walking away from Thanagar and his job and family there).

Or perhaps that would be a little too much of some from column A and some from column B, and writers would be more comfortable with two different characters, one reincarnating Egyptian royal and one alien space cop. I still prefer the former. The Green Lantern Corps, among others, kind of have 'alien space cops' locked up, and Earth is already teeming with aliens, ranging from big guns like Superman and Martian Manhunter, to characters like Starfire and Lobo.

Boisterously Confused

When people say they love the Golden Aged Hawkman, it seems that they're really talking about The 2002 "Return of Hawkman" character. Apart from the origin story in Flash Comics #1, writers hardly touched the reincarnation aspect of the original Hawkman until the late 1970s, and even then it didn't really become central to the character until much later. Roy Thomas probably did more with it in All-Star Squadron than all the proceeding writers of the previous 40 years. Seems like the next time it got a real focus was in Robinson and Smith's Golden Age, in 1993.

I tend to prefer the Silver Age Hawks because, especially in their first decade or so, writers seemed to put effort into depicting the advantages and limitations of anti-gravity abilities, rather than just "they got wings and can fly." Plus, Shayera tended to be more thoroughly developed character and equal partner than Shiera (even though she still got stuck with serving coffee and a cover as Katar's secretary). What's more, with their advanced technological skills, The Hawks always seemed to me to have much more to contribute to the JL, putting them more creditably on a par with characters like Green Lantern and Wonder Woman; the Absorbascom alone made them very potentially very powerful.