Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Explain the Appeal ~ Hawkman

This is a thread theme (created by yours truly ) to explain why a certain character appeals to you. This character may be misunderstood by most, considered a joke by others, or just over looked by more popular characters but you still love them anyway!

Here is your chance to explain to others why this character has your interest either through word, feats, pictures or whatever else. Think of it as a character being placed on trial as to why he/she should gain anyone's interest at all.

WHAT THIS IS NOT! This is not a place to bash or vent. This is solely a place to discuss why certain characters history, powers, cast, and overall Mythology appeals to fans. If the character is not all that great say so but do not go out of your way to negatively respond/post to prove whatever point you have. (MODs PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS)

Todays Character On Trial .....

Hawkman
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

For me...

Hawkman is one of the lesser-powered heroes that hasn't been given a BatGod complex (at least not yet), which puts him borderline between the pulp heroes of old and the traditional superhero.
    And like Adam Strange, he's deeply rooted more in the 'adventure' genre than 'crime-fighter' genre.

And depending on the current background of the character, he either has mythological roots (either Egyptian or American Indian, with a chance for more because of his archeological career), or sci-fi (Thanagarian), or both. Both of which lend a bit of mystique to the character and make him more unique.

He also tends to have some nice visuals (unless it's Liefeld, obviously), with some of his best (for me) being the hirsute Joe Bennett look or the black leather Jan Duursema look.

While Moon Knight often gets recognized as the closest Marvel character to Batman, Hawkman (to me) is the closest DC character to Moon Knight, especially when you refer to the 'Fist of Khonshu' era Moon Knight with the gold accessories and ankh symbol.

I also think that he's a character that would totally fit Mike Grell's style, and it's unfortunate that we've never gotten an ongoing Hawkman series by Grell.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

he has wings

he's always showing off those pecs

and he's usually wielding a cool weapon
    The J-man

Boisterously Confused

There are several things. I'll address only those aspects that apply to most versions.

First, as noted above, he's got one of the best visuals in superhero comics. The winged barbarian, complete with archaic weaponry, is a look that just doesn't get old.

Second, he's got one of the most enduring, and equitable relationships in comics (at least he did before writers split them up so Hawkwoman would be available for shipping elsewhere and could smooth the JL gender ratio). Even in the Golden Age, Hawkgirl was allowed to be smart on her own, rather than played to make him look smarter, and rarely got used as a hostage.

Finally, he's what I call an all-purpose superhero. Need him to fight Blockbuster? With his Nth metal belt, he can probably drop a cement mixer on the guy. Want him to fight Wotan? His archeology background can probably come up with something to surprise a warlock. Want a noir story? He's detective enough for that.

What's not to like?

He's got an interesting origin/backstory too. I know over the years it's gotten confusing and has been screwed with a lot. But it's not some run of the mill background, it's pretty different.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Carter Hall
    - Reincarnated
    - Proficient in my weapons
    - Centuries old. Potential be a mixture of Batman and Vandal Savage
    - Egyption Mythology

Katar Hol
    - Space Warlord
    - One of the strongest warriors
    - Looks cool as hell

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    For me...

Hawkman is one of the lesser-powered heroes that hasn't been given a BatGod complex (at least not yet), which puts him borderline between the pulp heroes of old and the traditional superhero.
    And like Adam Strange, he's deeply rooted more in the 'adventure' genre than 'crime-fighter' genre.

And depending on the current background of the character, he either has mythological roots (either Egyptian or American Indian, with a chance for more because of his archeological career), or sci-fi (Thanagarian), or both. Both of which lend a bit of mystique to the character and make him more unique.

He also tends to have some nice visuals (unless it's Liefeld, obviously), with some of his best (for me) being the hirsute Joe Bennett look or the black leather Jan Duursema look.

While Moon Knight often gets recognized as the closest Marvel character to Batman, Hawkman (to me) is the closest DC character to Moon Knight, especially when you refer to the 'Fist of Khonshu' era Moon Knight with the gold accessories and ankh symbol.

I also think that he's a character that would totally fit Mike Grell's style, and it's unfortunate that we've never gotten an ongoing Hawkman series by Grell.
    Good write up!

Like Moon Knight....hmmm....

Does he too have a split personality at times? What are some of your favorite Hawkman stories?

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    There are several things. I'll address only those aspects that apply to most versions.

First, as noted above, he's got one of the best visuals in superhero comics. The winged barbarian, complete with archaic weaponry, is a look that just doesn't get old.

Second, he's got one of the most enduring, and equitable relationships in comics (at least he did before writers split them up so Hawkwoman would be available for shipping elsewhere and could smooth the JL gender ratio). Even in the Golden Age, Hawkgirl was allowed to be smart on her own, rather than played to make him look smarter, and rarely got used as a hostage.

Finally, he's what I call an all-purpose superhero. Need him to fight Blockbuster? With his Nth metal belt, he can probably drop a cement mixer on the guy. Want him to fight Wotan? His archeology background can probably come up with something to surprise a warlock. Want a noir story? He's detective enough for that.

What's not to like?
    All purpose heroes? That's interesting. What stories do you think showed how much range the character has?
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Astonishing Member

To me, Hawkman seems to have a tremendous potential.

Especially now, that all his past lives are in the past.

I would like to see a blend of golden-age and silver-sci-fi-age foes re-imagined/update.

Sometimes, I get tired of reading about the Bat-family. It would be nice if another hero and her/his villains were developed.

To start, when I was a kid, Hawkman just looked cool. My older brother had already called Batman, and I wanted a cool superhero to follow, too. Hawkman seemed like the obvious choice to my adolescent sensibilities. He had these awesome wings, a flashy color scheme, a unique cowl, a memorable emblem, and a great accessory in the form of that mace of that mace of his.

As I grew older, though, it was the dichotomy of Hawkman that kept me the most interested. Mind you, when I first started following him he was a character from a distant planet with tech far outpacing our own. And yet he used ancient weapons to combat evil. He's also one of the most cultured, thoughtful characters outside of fight, with analytical skills rivaling those of Batman. But when a skirmish starts, he instantly becomes one of the most dangerous foes on the battlefield. Pound for pound, there's not many characters out there who are as capable in a fight as Hawkman.

Compounding all this is his partner, Hawkgirl, who's just as capable as he is. I think Hawk-fans are uniquely lucky, in that we essentially get two superheroes to follow for the price of one. Strictly from a storytelling standpoint, though, the Hawks' relationship has always made them more intriguing to me rather than less. Especially during the Silver Age, when their marriage was just a given, I liked that Katar had a stable partner in Shayera, and her in him, too. It was almost refreshing as a teenager to see a couple who'd essential made it, as opposed to the Peter Parkers of comics who just never could seem to get lucky in love. As somewhat of a hopeless romantic myself (even all these years later at 36 years of age), the Hawks gave me hope, and still do.

Now, obviously a lot of the above has changed a bit through the years and through the different incarnations of the character. But I think you'll find the basic elements that I've mentioned are all still there to be found regardless of the era or version. Hawkman is a multifaceted character with a lot of history and intrigue to draw from. He has a great look and power set, both of which remain a draw for me to be sure, but it's his personality and the relationships he has with the other characters of the DC Universe that have kept me a fan through all these years.

In three words or less, then: Hawkman just rules!
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

Sometimes it’s just fun to read about a hero who excels at smashing ****. Hawkman has always had the subtlety in of a tank. He’s a burly shirtless winged warrior who fights the villains of today with the brutal weapons on the past. One part Indian Jones and one part Wolverine. But I was never a fan of the space cop version of Hawkman. I much prefer the reincarnation theme.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Indiana Jones with wings and a temper.

Plus you have the whole star crossed lovers from across time and space thing.

He's gold. I'd prolly give him a shirt if we're being 100% honest, but he's gold.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Katar Hol was an environmentally (and socially during Hawkworld) conscious, well spoken, highly intelligent and inquisitive space cop. Really, the best in the galaxy. He was so far ahead that he could incorporate primitive tools and methods. Incorporate like not just using a mace, but using Nth metal technology to give it EMP. And for all his intelligence, he was a naturally savage and cunning fighter. A better fighter than Batman, outclassed pre-crisis by Superman but that doesn't say much.

Best of all, for the most part his partner Shayera was actually regarded as his equal. In the silver age that was extremely rare, and even now you don't see a whole lot of comic couples that get by without throwing one or the other under the bus. If a picture is a thousand words, these do a decent job of getting across Katar Hol

Unfortunately, he's a low tier character and his case is made far worse by the fact that there are a number of different versions of Hawkman. Notice I said Katar. Carter Hall has his moments (like under Walt Simonson) but I largely find him less compelling. But I'll stick with it and see if I can explain what it does right at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Katar Hol was an environmentally (and socially during Hawkworld) conscious, well spoken, highly intelligent and inquisitive space cop. Really, the best in the galaxy. He was so far ahead that he could incorporate primitive tools and methods. Incorporate like not just using a mace, but using Nth metal technology to give it EMP. And for all his intelligence, he was a naturally savage and cunning fighter. A better fighter than Batman, outclassed pre-crisis by Superman but that doesn't say much.

Best of all, for the most part his partner Shayera was actually regarded as his equal. In the silver age that was extremely rare, and even now you don't see a whole lot of comic couples that get by without throwing one or the other under the bus. If a picture is a thousand words, these do a decent job of getting across Katar Hol

Unfortunately, he's a low tier character and his case is made far worse by the fact that there are a number of different versions of Hawkman. Notice I said Katar. Carter Hall has his moments (like under Walt Simonson) but I largely find him less compelling. But I'll stick with it and see if I can explain what it does right at some point.
    Where were all these from?

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    he has wings

he's always showing off those pecs

and he's usually wielding a cool weapon
    He has a cool helmet.

'Nuff said.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin