Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
and you did mention not being a superhero, but that's really how we see these characters. How off would it seem to try summing up Clark Kent or Bruce Wayne without their secret identities?
I perfectly understand that back in the early days, most heroes were simply templates to build the stories around. I've read a good amount of Golden Age comics and nearly all major Silver Age DC books, including Hawkman's original run. Of course, there's a reason I rarely, if ever, look back at books from these eras, much as I may have loved them as a kid.

The characters I love are the ones who you could just as easily write a drama or a comedy book/movie about, with 'superhero' simply being their profession.

And while Supes isn't one of my favorites or even close, unlike Bruce, who is very much defined by his role as Batman (he's not even close to being one of my favorites either) I could pretty easily sum up Clark without getting into Superman. It comes with seeing Clark as the real person and Superman simply as what he does.