Chess, Comics, Creation

Default Returning to Comics after 17 years!

Hey everyone!

I used to read comics in middle school and a bit of early high school, but for some reason or another I fell off of them. I decided today would be a good day to hop back on the tracks while looking for some summer reading material.

My local used book store had the Marvel Secret War collection (Secret War 1-5 and From the Files of Nick Fury), so I snatched it up!

Where should I go from here? Continuity? Reboot? etc etc etc.

Happy to be back with the community

Welcome back!

Just pick up some whatever. Can't really go wrong with Spider-Man trades. Maybe try out the Mighty Thor!

Welcome back!

I have a question What was the last books you read, or what events? Did you have preferences (X-Men, Avengers, Spider-Man, Daredevil, etc...)

Some things have changed a lot in 17 years!
    "You don't raise yourself by stepping on somebody else"

Currently looking for a pull list... Does near-mint West Coast Avengers count?

#givebackthesuit
    #stopstealinghisstuff

KIDDING!

Welcome back! What are you interested in reading? Characters, teams, etc..

Chess, Comics, Creation

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jay View Post
    Welcome back!

I have a question What was the last books you read, or what events? Did you have preferences (X-Men, Avengers, Spider-Man, Daredevil, etc...)

Some things have changed a lot in 17 years!
    Oof... I don't even remember. I've heard that there's New Marvel, or Marvel 2.0, or a summer rerelease going on now. I guess that would be a starting place? I'm going to finish up the Secret War collection I got and look up where the story goes from there too!

Chess, Comics, Creation

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post

Welcome back! What are you interested in reading? Characters, teams, etc..
    Right now I'm most interested in the "larger universe" narrative, so comics and storylines that connect and tell a larger, universal story.

My “advice”: don’t get back on the current comics treadmill. Don’t get hooked on specific characters, and certainly don’t worry whether a particular comic is issued by Marvel, DC, or some other publisher.

Do a bit of google research on best comic series in last 30 years, get outline descriptions of those “best”series...and concentrate on reading those that interest you.

Let me give one example. The original Ultimate Spider-man run will be just as cheap/ easy to get as current Spider-man comics...and most likely you’ll find it a better read.

Yeah, it’s a hard one for anyone who missed the whole of 911 to All new all different. Do you know the Marvel Universe exploded and today’s comics are about a new universe?

Marvel have tried to destroy Comics Universe with Movie Universe (basically the Ultimate Universe - are you aware of UU?). Then they have tried to destroy the Comic characters from the Silver Age with Diversity alternatives. No hero you remember is a good role model anymore. Only fresh-faced new Diversity teens.
    Last edited by jackolover; 06-13-2018 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    My “advice”: don’t get back on the current comics treadmill. Don’t get hooked on specific characters...
    Aw, man, that's the only way I read comics; without the specific characters, it's not worth it to me.

...and certainly don’t worry whether a particular comic is issued by Marvel, DC, or some other publisher.
    Truth.

Let me give one example. The original Ultimate Spider-man run will be just as cheap/ easy to get as current Spider-man comics...and most likely you’ll find it a better read.
    I can attest that USM is the best of all the Spider series.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Yeah, it’s a hard one for anyone who missed the whole of 911 to All new all different. Do you know the Marvel Universe exploded and today’s comics are about a new universe?

Marvel have tried to destroy Comics Universe with Movie Universe (basically the Ultimate Universe - are you aware of UU?). Then they have tried to destroy the Comic characters from the Silver Age with Diversity alternatives. No hero you remember is a good role model anymore. Only fresh-faced new Diversity teens.
    From my personal experience, you can always find good series and bad series (both new and old) and the same applies now. Heck, some of the best stuff I've seen in comics has been relatively recent stuff.
    Last edited by WebLurker; 06-13-2018 at 11:59 PM.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post

Welcome back to comics and please don't take the above comment as a fact in any way.

Diversity is only an imaginary boogeyman that some readers choose to live in fear of.

If you want to jump into the new stuff, there's plenty of easy entry points to get into.

If you're looking at the "larger universe", Jason Aaron's Avengers would be a good book to look at, as would Chip D'Zarsky's Marvel Two-In-One, as would Gerry Duggan's recent Guardians of the Galaxy run, which led to the current Infinity Countdown, which is leading to Infinity Wars. And Dan Slott's Fantastic Four coming in August is surely going to be very steeped in the larger MU. Probably his soon-to-arrive Iron Man run too.

Also, anything from Donny Cates is an easy recommend.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 06-14-2018 at 03:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karpovblanca View Post
    Right now I'm most interested in the "larger universe" narrative, so comics and storylines that connect and tell a larger, universal story.
    I think you'd really enjoy Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers run that ends with the Secret Wars event also by Hickman.

You can never go wrong with Daredevil. Many excellent runs with many excellent writers.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Welcome back to comics and please don't take the above comment as a fact in any way.

Diversity is only an imaginary boogeyman that some readers choose to live in fear of.

If you want to jump into the new stuff, there's plenty of easy entry points to get into.

If you're looking at the "larger universe", Jason Aaron's Avengers would be a good book to look at, as would Chip D'Zarsky's Marvel Two-In-One, as would Gerry Duggan's recent Guardians of the Galaxy run, which led to the current Infinity Countdown, which is leading to Infinity Wars. And Dan Slott's Fantastic Four coming in August is surely going to be very steeped in the larger MU. Probably his soon-to-arrive Iron Man run too.

Also, anything from Donny Cates is an easy recommend.
    I don’t know whether he seems to be interested in diversity at his stage. He seems to be interested in the big picture and how interconnected the larger story is, not the more recent stuff.

Marvel epic collections are great for catching up. New stuff it's up to what you like. Do you like Spider-Man then scott just had a big "like it or hate it" run. Avengers had tons of stuff like new avengers, us avengers, etc. Runaways and ms marvel are great (and the trades are pretty low priced)

If just for fun or adventure then runaways, ms marvel, moon girl, champions, and marvel two in one are great.

For past stories again marvel epic collection is great.