Page 100 of 170 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110150 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 2541
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

I still don't understand why they release it in this context. What would they lose by waiting more time? They won't lose as much money keeping it on hold, as they will by releasing it in this covid context.

Incredible Member

Now that I've had a few hours to process the information, I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about this. On one hand, I'm happy I'll be able to give myself a nice Christmas present this year. I'm also not a shareholder, nor did I help create this product, so this is really no skin off my back. I also genuinely believe Wonder Woman and Christmas are a perfect combination - like Batman and Halloween or Superman and Christmas.

On the other hand, I don't understand why ATT is making the oddest decision imaginable. The release is confusing and nonsensical, this does nothing for movie theaters, I question if people will remain subscribed to a service that cost 15 a month, and I question how "success" will be determined to ensure a 3rd Wonder Woman film. I also question how they think the immediate piracy of this film is going to affect any and all metrics for success for this film. I also question how this would impact the growing Wonder Woman brand.

Anyway, as I said, I'm planning my snacks and drinks for Christmas as we speak, but I would not be a happy shareholder with what appears to be a short-term gain that could potentially lead to longterm lost.

At least put it on Netflix or something because people in the UK don't have HBO Max, and people from Latin america etc will watch it on pirate sites or download it

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    At least put it on Netflix or something because people in the UK don't have HBO Max, and people from Latin america etc will watch it on pirate sites or download it
    ATT doesn't own Netflix, so, unfortunately, they're going to release it on their own service in hopes of drumming up more business. It's like hoping Disney would release the next Marvel movie on Amazon Prime

FWIW, apparently the plan is to release on Max for a month and then Video On Demand--so that might be good news for the people who can't get or don't want HBO Max.
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/18/media...max/index.html

The new Bill & Ted did pretty good going to VOD, so hopefully it won't hurt WW84's box office too bad. And even then, I would like to think Warner recognizes this is a bad situation beyond anyone's control and won't fall back on the old "Wonder Woman doesn't make money" or "People don't want female-led action movies" nonsense.

Me...I'll subscribe for a month and then cancel. It's about the price of a movie ticket anyway. And if I like it enough, maybe I'll rent it VOD, too.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    FWIW, apparently the plan is to release on Max for a month and then Video On Demand--so that might be good news for the people who can't get or don't want HBO Max.

The new Bill & Ted did pretty good going to VOD, so hopefully it won't hurt WW84's box office too bad. And even then, I would like to think Warner recognizes this is a bad situation beyond anyone's control and won't fall back on the old "Wonder Woman doesn't make money" or "People don't want female-led action movies" nonsense.
    From your keyboard to the Olympian gods' ears!!!
    You would have to be spectacularly stupid to think that in a world in which Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel grossed almost 2 billion dollars combined, people don't want to see female-led [comic book-based] action films. But then againm WB/DC has always had an odd way of treating WW. Why in the f***, for example, did she not get her own animated show to capitalize on the film's success? Why has she not gotten a prequel TV show (ala Ghotham and Smallville)? Why do her likeness/logo/brand not fill every Wal-Mart aisle in America, like Superman's and Batman's do? It's just a double standard that I will never understand...

If they're really going to release this in theaters on Christmas day, it's a really stupid decision.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

A beautiful TV spot from Hong Kong

Incredible Member

Me...I'll subscribe for a month and then cancel. It's about the price of a movie ticket anyway. And if I like it enough, maybe I'll rent it VOD, too.
    Thanks for the link. When it goes to VOD is that likely to be US only or globally.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

This is what I'm hoping for on an optimistic level and I don't want to declare the sky is falling just yet.

But never underestimate WB's ability to mismanage any of their IPs that isn't Batman. Or to at best be terribly unreliable/inconsistent with them. But regardless, at least we can enjoy the movie next month and let the future go where it goes.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    This is what I'm hoping for on an optimistic level and I don't want to declare the sky is falling just yet.

But never underestimate WB's ability to mismanage any of their IPs that isn't Batman. Or to at best be terribly unreliable/inconsistent with them. But regardless, at least we can enjoy the movie next month and let the future go where it goes.
    Leave it to DC and Warner to blame it on WW. Do we know why they are releasing it now if they care about not losing money? Because with the current context i don't see how this movie can make a good profit.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Leave it to DC and Warner to blame it on WW. Do we know why they are releasing it now if they care about not losing money? Because with the current context i don't see how this movie can make a good profit.
    Apparently all the time it’s not being released it’s costing them money for insurance reasons due to the complex way modern big budget films are financed these days.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Even if they lose money with WW84 due to covid-19 which they almost certainly will, Wonder Woman remains one of their hottest IPs so there’s a ton of money to be made with WW3, provided things go back to normal, that is.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

They haven't actually done that yet and no guarantee that they will.

I'm braced for it, but no need to panic yet

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    Apparently all the time it’s not being released it’s costing them money for insurance reasons due to the complex way modern big budget films are financed these days.
    Yeah, it's basically take a smaller amount of money now to help pay the bills, or wait until some unprojectable time next year (or, help us, 2022...) when they can make a lot more. It's a lose-lose situation. If WB has debtors, they probably are anxious to pay that stuff off sooner than later.