Page 128 of 170 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132138 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 2541
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I highly doubt the sword and shield had any impact on audience reception.
    Yes, more action (or at least better executed action) would be needed, but I don't think the sword and shield are necessary at all.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    I think the pandemic was blessing for WW84, because in normal circumstances, and having seen the film already, the movie would have dropped from the first film at the box office. International audiences would not have embraced it and it’s getting mixed reactions in the USA.

I feel like since Patty is so caught up with other projects, WB should just move on to a new director instead of having to wait 5+ for a sequel. Also WW3 needs way more action and the sword/shield back!
    The sword and shield have done more harm to Diana than good.

The sword and shield can sometimes be a cool visual but at this point it’s overplayed as much as Superman’s angry red eyes of anger.

Fantastic Member

Sorry but it was full of cringe and old and dated stereotypes (a.ka. Barbara Minerva). The message at the end delivered with an embarrassingly juvenile tone. Also Gal Gadot saving Arab kids? It is next level meta propaganda.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    That is absolutely not true.
    I have not heard a single person in the "real world" complain about the shield and sword or say that they hated the first film due to those. (And by "real world" I mean, offline and beyond the confines of comic book shops and comic book sites). The first film was beloved by audiences and critically acclaimed, and she used her sword and shield there. This whole narrative of "The sword and shield have done more harm to Diana than good" is not substantiated by any facts or stats. It's just a silly notion created by staunch fans of Lynda Carter and/or old-school WW comics. There is absolutely no proof that the sword and shield is "harmful" to Wonder Woman's rep, or future, or whatever.
    The shield, sword, lasso, and bracelets can peacefully co-exist in Wonder Woman's cinematic future. Heck, I'd love to see Diana face off against a hydra or a gorgon, and sorry, guys but who the hell wants to see her a battle between Diana and a gorgon (or a hydra) that does not end with the amazon beheading the monster? That is classic mythological iconography reimagined for the superhero cinema age, and it would would certainly be a great visual/action setpiece that could positively impact the box office.
    Last edited by FutureWonder; 12-26-2020 at 04:06 PM.

That’s not true at all! In fact it has added to her arsenal of weapons and now audiences expect that from Diana! Whether WW comic fans like it or not, Warrior Wonder Woman has ALOT more fans than pacifist Wonder Woman does... a lot of the complaints about this film is that it lacks action, is really campy and Diana doesn’t act much like a warrior in it! Hopefully all of that is fixed in the third installment

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    That is absolutely not true.
    I have not heard a single person in the "real world" complain about the shield and sword or say that they hated the first film due to those. (And by "real world" I mean, offline and beyond the confines of comic book shops and comic book sites). The first film was beloved by audiences and critically acclaimed, and she used her sword and shield there. This whole narrative of "The sword and shield have done more harm to Diana than good" is not substantiated by any facts or stats. It's just a silly notion created by staunch fans of Lynda Carter and/or old-school WW comics. There is absolutely no proof that the sword and shield is "harmful" to Wonder Woman's rep, or future, or whatever.
    The shield, sword, lasso, and bracelets can peacefully co-exist in Wonder Woman's cinematic future. Heck, I'd love to see Diana face off against a hydra or a gorgon, and sorry, guys but who the hell wants to see her a battle between Diana and a gorgon (or a hydra) that does not end with the amazon beheading the monster? That is classic mythological iconography reimagined for the superhero cinema age, and it would would certainly be a great visual/action setpiece that could positively impact the box office.
    The sword and shield is one of the reasons why she turned into a more generic warrior woman type in the comics. It is all about sword and shield instead of her actual powers being shown in big ways. I want to see WW using her god like strength and speed. To feel she is powerful enough to get the job done without the need if a sword. Like classic WW was.

That’s not true at all! In fact it has added to her arsenal of weapons and now audiences expect that from Diana! Whether WW comic fans like it or not, Warrior Wonder Woman has ALOT more fans than pacifist Wonder Woman does... a lot of the complaints about this film is that it lacks action, is really campy and Diana doesn’t act much like a warrior in it! Hopefully all of that is fixed in the third installment
    “More action” does not = “sword and shield”. The action we got with the lasso was fine and more of that would be enough.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Wonder Woman was a more badass and powerful warrior snd still loving without tje sword snd shield. I picture WW as a powerhpuse of amazing strength. Not a generic warrior who needs a sword to cause big damage. Her own powers should be bigger and more central 8n battle than a sword and a shield.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Was anyone else bothered by the lack of lore and Greek mythology? I don't want Diana stuck in purely mythological stories, but that's the stuff that sets her apart, and it was so lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    After sleeping and thinking on this film last night, I have a better sense of what it was going for, given this year and the last 4+ years of public discourse.
    This wasn't an aspect of the film I really liked. Not to stray too far into politics, but I felt like Diana saying something to the effect of "This world is already so beautiful" is essentially Hillary Clinton saying "America is already Great".

This is just nitpicking, but escalators have been around since the 1890's, a few decades before WW1.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Was anyone else bothered by the lack of lore and Greek mythology? I don't want Diana stuck in purely mythological stories, but that's the stuff that sets her apart, and it was so lacking.
    I don't think it's the only thing that sets her apart, it's just one aspect of her character. The myths are arguably overly mined enough in the comics as is. The Amazons were in it at least.
    This wasn't an aspect of the film I really liked. Not to stray too far into politics, but I felt like Diana saying something to the effect of "This world is already so beautiful" is essentially Hillary Clinton saying "America is already Great".
    It feels in-character for her to say, especially after the last film.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    The sword and shield is one of the reasons why she turned into a more generic warrior woman type in the comics. It is all about sword and shield instead of her actual powers being shown in big ways. I want to see WW using her god like strength and speed. To feel she is powerful enough to get the job done without the need if a sword. Like classic WW was.
    Pretty much this. Much like "Brruuuuuce is the maaaaask" the sword and shield have just removed depth from the character and made her very generic. The lasso and bullets/bracelets were uniquely Wonder Woman. Instead we have Xena in a Wonder Woman skin. Hurray. In five years she'll have a cape and pointed cowl that everyone will celebrate as popular and bemoan Wonder Woman fans as "staunch supporters of Lynda Carter."
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-26-2020 at 05:17 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I highly doubt the sword and shield had any impact on audience reception.
    The lack of a sword and shield, and the focus on the lasso instead, was a good thing. Give me more of that.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    The sword and shield is one of the reasons why she turned into a more generic warrior woman type in the comics.
    You keep parroting that opinion as if it were a fact.
    And we have already talked about your erroneus assertion that classic WW from the 40s was somehow a major powerhouse, when we all know that in some issues she lassoed a planet, and in other issues she was knocked out cold by some rando on the street.
    Wonder Woman using a shield/sword and her being a powerhouse are not mutually exclusive notions.

Pretty much this. Much like "Brruuuuuce is the maaaaask" the sword and shield have just removed depth from the character and made her very generic.
    The sword and shield removing character depth is as ridiculous a theory as saying that her lasso and bracelets add depth to her character.

Exactly!
    One of the big complains that keep being repeated is that the film focuses too much on hamfisted camp, and that the film is boring AF. But hey, that is what LC fans want...
    Last edited by FutureWonder; 12-26-2020 at 05:57 PM.