Page 124 of 170 FirstFirst ... 2474114120121122123124125126127128134 ... LastLast
Results 1,846 to 1,860 of 2541

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Not seeing those 2 was one of the best parts in the film for me.
    I associate those two things with Wonder Woman as much as her lasso, so seeing her without them was weird. Watching reactions on Twitter, seems like I’m not the only one. The film could have used more action but that flying scene was incredible

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

So, can we post spoilers in here now, or is that still off limits??

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    I associate those two things with Wonder Woman as much as her lasso, so seeing her without them was weird. Watching reactions on Twitter, seems like I’m not the only one. The film could have used more action but that flying scene was incredible
    I don't. They haven't been part of her standard equipment for 70 years. They don't belong with her. Not when all they do is make her look as a generic warrior woman like countless others out there. While bracelets and lasso are actually more unique.

I like sword and shield but they would have been out of place in this one. The stakes were at least as high, if not more so than the original, but Diana wasn't on a godkilling mission in the middke of a world war, nor was she fighting monsters or an alien mission. She was up against a bunch of mall robbers, her weirdo co-worker on a power trip, and a loser businessman, also on a power trip. Neither of whom she wanted dead, You can see why she'd leave her sword at home this time.

Just saw the movie... it was good but that's all and tbh i feel the movie a bit longer

there were to many scenes of Diana and Steve, i also agree that the movie could have more action scenes

And Cheetah was good spoilers:
    I wish she got more screentime in her Full Cheetah form, i felt her final fight short and without showing much of their powers...
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    i can say that that scene of Diana saying goodbye to Steve and regaining his powers was very emotional
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Cruelrain; 12-25-2020 at 08:21 PM.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

I definitely agree that the sword and shield shouldn’t be everyday weapons for Diana. She can do a LOT with the lasso alone, as evidenced in the film. It should be brought out for certain occasions, kinda like the armor she wore.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I just finished it and overall I liked it. Not as good as the first one and way to long but enjoyable. They did harp a little to much about learning lessons so i can see people getting annoyed by that.

I probably would've swapped out Max Lord as a villain since...he was there in name only and could've been used as a much greater threat for another film.

The Lasso action in this was great though even if it seemed like it never left Dianas side.

The entire Astira story was told way to quickly and needed to be aired out better.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I thought the film was decent but I was a little disappointed. Those opening 10 minutes are the most exciting part of the movie, and the next hour has almost nothing in the way of action. There's a lot of unnecessary exposition and meandering necessary for Lord's plot to fully come to fruition, and it overreaches a bit in scope. The action we do end up getting is cool, but all too brief and a bit of a let down compared to what we've seen her do, due in part to the plot. And the climax stumbles more noticeably in the first film; while I appreciate what they were going for in the closing speech, it seemed a bit hammy.

I feel like these flaws existed in some way in the first film, but they were compensated for by more organic laughs/relationships, more grounded stakes, and the strenghts inherent to origin stories.

It's about as good as your average comic book film, but I wanted more.

The movie was okay. The first film was better, in my opinion.

I thought the cast was good, the cinematography was good. I'm not sure if my issue was the directing or the script. This film could have been better, even keeping the same basic premise.

I'm a little confused about some of the decisions this film made, mainly with structure and pacing. Maybe my expectations were too high or just different. It's not like I didn't understand the plot or that it was confusing, but I feel like there was a better way to

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy it. It was okay for me, but not great.
    The J-man

It was a solid film - 2.5 out of 5 stars so average. By way of contrast, I rated the first film 4 out of 5 stars. Keep in mind I have seldom ever given any film 4 stars much less higher.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

So I enjoyed it more than the first one. They managed to make Max Lord from JLI go villain without being the guy who shot Ted Kord. Pascal was great. The chemistry between Diana and Steve was still there. Lots of fun easter eggs all around and good ways to use more classical Wonder Woman elements (y'all know which).

spoilers:
    All the subplots were interesting, both antagonists are well-characterized and likable until they start sliding off the deep-end, but in both cases you get why it happened and that they're not truly evil at heart. Max in particular is always sympathetic insofar as he always comes across as someone just so comically out-of-his-depth that he can't handle his new abilities and his love for his son ultimately does keep him from going full heel. Unlike a lot of modern writers who would have Diana slay the villains, she redeemed them with compassion. I can't think of something more Wonder Woman than that.

Hell, Diana is so preoccupied with saving regular people that it really does feel like an earnest reconstruction on superheroes. I definitely want another Wonder Woman from Patty Jenkins and I'm even more convinced she could do a great Superman movie as well.

Steve as a fish out of water and Diana getting to share the modern world with him, hell their entire relationship was excellent. I only wish the comics could get half as potent as that chemistry.
    end of spoilers

The action was quality when it was there, but I never felt myself wishing something would happen. Lots of great character development and fun moments for everyone in the cast. Again, I can't stress how much this movie nailed Diana as a superhero instead of someone with superpowers the way a lot of superhero movies tend to portray their heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Movie totally rocked. Absolute perfection from begining to end. What a wonderful Christmas gift. Cheers to you all!

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I'm going to go further and hope for several more! I really loved this one.
    Yeah, it exceeded my expectations and felt a lot more like a Wonder Woman movie than the first. Really appreciated it.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Not seeing those 2 was one of the best parts in the film for me.
    spoilers:
    I especially love the scene where Diana tells Steve to put the sword down. It fits in the narrative, but also as a meta comment about how she's not really about that. I had a big smile on my face from it.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    It was quite clear to me that she flew at the end. Self-powered. Actual flight (not "gliding on air currents"). The whole "gliding" was just Steve Trevor using an analogy to illuminate his thoughts about flying to Diana (and it also served as yet another nod to WW comics from the past). She seemed wobbly and unsure at the beginning, and she used the lasso to "power" her flight, but in the end, you distinctly see Diana flying herself, with no lasso, no swinging from clouds, and no hitching a ride on lightning. She flew in that self-assured, one-arm-extended pose that is so common in comic book iconography. I find it hard to believe that anybody, after watching the film, still thinks that she is "gliding"...
    spoilers:
    That's how I took it too. They worked the gliding on air thing in as her learning to use her power given Steve's comments more as a guide and after that she mastered it as proper flight.
    end of spoilers

Loved it.
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-25-2020 at 11:25 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Just finished it. Overall, it was very enjoyable if flawed. I'd say the first film is overall better, but this was still good. It definitely feels like a throwback CBM, and I definitely see the Donner and Raimi influences. Unfortunately, that also means the camp factor is also there, along with some CGI that looks like it was from the early Raimi movies, which is not a good thing in 2020. The first zoom in to Themyscira an Diana swinging with the rubber children in particular stood out as looking bad.

Thoughts:

spoilers:
    - Gadot embodies the character so well. She's not the greatest actress in the world, but she definitely improved in this one and lights up the screen whenever she's there. She definitely has the movie star "presence" if not the acting chops (like Ahnold and Dwayne Johnson).
    - Loved the return of Steve and the lesson she had to learn in letting him go and moving on. Their chemistry was great again and their scenes together were a blast. Did NOT like the weird ass decision for him to take over another man's body, and for Diana to have sex with him. Why couldn't Steve just materialize in a new body? Also, Pine's "Well, **** Diana!" delivery was hysterical.
    - Kristen Wiigg was awesome as Barbara. She portrayed all the phases of the characters arc brilliantly. The film needed way more of her. I would ideally like a film to tackle Rucka's Barbara, but this was a cool fusion of Priscilla and Barbara with its own spin on things and she delivered. I also thought she looked great in her final form, barring a couple dodgy CGI shots, but I think it mostly being prosthetics and make up helped. I would have liked the final fight scene to go on a little bit longer, like an additional couple minutes. Any more would have overstayed its welcome, but it was good while it lasted. Also, the scene where she encounters that dude again and beats the crap out of him was her best scene. Also found the beginning scenes very touching; I hope Diana and Barbara can go back to being friends.
    - Pedro Pascal was a hammy delight as Max. I still wish Max wasn't in this movie, or was named something else, but I can't begrudge Pascal.
    - Liked the nod to the invisible plane. Would prefer Amazon technology be the reason behind it, but this as cute.
    - Flight scene was AWESOME! Very emotional with great music.
    - Lynda Carter cameo was great
    end of spoilers

Overall I'd say I'd give it a B. It juggled a lot and didn't land with everything, and the dodgy special effects and some of the camp bring it down, but overall not a bad way to spend Christmas night.

Spectacular Member

spoilers:

The most beautiful thing of 84 is Lynda Carter.
    Not just a cameo but she is canon in the WW movie!
    I cried a lot that she is the original one to wear the golden armor
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

I feel kind of bad for not loving this movie. =/

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    ... It juggled a lot and didn't land with everything, ...
    That's a good way of putting it. It had a lot of interesting ingredients, but it didn't really come together all that well (imo). The opening is the only part that really stuck the landing for me.

It has a lot of heart and sincerity but suffers from structural issues. The whole Cairo sequence could have been trimmed out, along with some other stuff. You always want a film to feel shorter than it is, but WW84 feels looooong and as much as I enjoyed Pascal’s performance, I could have done with less scenes of him repeating the same maniacal spiel. The movie kind of hammers it’s message in too hard, to the point where it gets a little exhausting.