Page 159 of 170 FirstFirst ... 59109149155156157158159160161162163169 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,385 of 2541

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    I have a feeling that WW84 will eventually become, if not a cult classic, one of those films that many critics and viewers revist and start to appreciate more than when it first came out. I feel that the movie, as underwhelming for me as it was, had a lot of great things. I also feel that it had several key elements that already has made old-school WW fans prefer it to the first (Lasso instead of sword, Diana flying, the villain seeing the error of his ways instead of being killed/beaten to a pulp, etc). In any case, this films has definitely been divisive, but at least it was not as universally hated as Batman V Superman (I know, I know...super low bar)...
    Agreed I believe it will become a cult classic

Incredible Member

I....disagree.

It definitely did some things right, but it will be remembered for misusing Cheetah, having Diana casually rape a man when the script could have just said it was the real Steve back and having a central plot that makes no sense.

It isn't "so bad its good" or deep and challenging the way cult films can be. It's a rather simplistic film, and not very smart.

I think this one will remain about as beloved as it is now.

I think weather or not Cheetah was misused depends on how she's used in Wonder Woman 3 (if she is indeed going to be in that film).

Her character in this movie kind of falls into the troupe of "Introduces this villain in the first movie so they will have a more prominent roll in the second." Like Black Manta in Aquaman.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    I....disagree.

It definitely did some things right, but it will be remembered for misusing Cheetah, having Diana casually rape a man...
    That vocal minority of internet conspiracy theorists that made-up an absurdly laughable "rape" controversy-that-never-was about WW84 (a "controversy" that never gained any traction with pretty much anyone) will be remembered...for being a vocal internet minority that nobody cares about.

That vocal minority of internet conspiracy theorists that made-up an absurdly laughable "rape" controversy-that-never-was about WW84 (a "controversy" that never gained any traction with pretty much anyone) will be remembered...for being a vocal internet minority that nobody cares about.
    Here here! I wish people on this forum would QUIT bringing that up, it's pretty triggering and insulting to actual, non-fantasy trope, victims.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by rayray1127 View Post
    Here here! I wish people on this forum would QUIT bringing that up, it's pretty triggering and insulting to actual, non-fantasy trope, victims.
    THANK YOU! Considering the event in question could literally never happen in real life, it's insulting - and triggering - to actual survivors.

I'm completely with you on this take, but to be fair, the whole "creepiness" of WW and Steve doing it in Handsome Man's body is probably the most memed aspect of the movie.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I'm completely with you on this take, but to be fair, the whole "creepiness" of WW and Steve doing it in Handsome Man's body is probably the most memed aspect of the movie.
    I've seen people meme the Maxwell Lord: "Life is good, but it could be better," moment much more. The moment with a broken and battered Wonder Woman laying down on the ground also is used for Youtube Display images much more though to be fair, you can't really use the "rape" as a display image.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The Steve thing is so fantastical that it shouldn't be equated to a real traumatic thing like rape. It IS still creepy though and also completely pointless, and deserves to get crapped on.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    I've seen people meme the Maxwell Lord: "Life is good, but it could be better," moment much more. The moment with a broken and battered Wonder Woman laying down on the ground also is used for Youtube Display images much more though to be fair, you can't really use the "rape" as a display image.
    You could be right. There are tons of memes out there. But the Handsome Man thing is mocked by a lot of different sources, I think it's going to be part of this legacy even if you and I don't think it's worth a fraction that its biggest detractors make it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The Steve thing is so fantastical that it shouldn't be equated to a real traumatic thing like rape. It IS still creepy though and also completely pointless, and deserves to get crapped on.
    This.

Thing is with just a few edits here and there, and maybe some added ADR, you could almost entirely edit out references to the body swapping.

Even "Handsome Guy" showing up at the end could be just be implied to be just a guy with the same bad taste in clothes as Steve.

I don't mind Steve coming back in some other guys body, I just wish it factored into the story a little more. All the wishes seem to come with a twist AND a price.

Diana: wishes Steve back, Twist: he's in someone else body, Price: She looses her powers
    Barbara: wishes to be like Diana, Twist: she gains Diana's powers (that she didn't know about), Price: She looses her humanity
    Max: wises to be the Dreamstone, Twist: every time he grants a wish his health deteriorates, Price: His relationship with the one person he cares about, his son, goes downhill
    President: wishes for more nukes, Twist: Almost starts WW3 when the Russians detect them, Price: Maxwell takes his authority

So Steve coming back in someone else's body was like, he's here but he's not REALLY here, that was the twist. But in the movie Diana doesn't care...

Quote Originally Posted by rayray1127 View Post
    When you find a victim who was raped by an immortal amazon who goes around in invisible jets and rapes someone who's dead boyfriend took possession of his body, let us know. Its actually insulting to real victims to compare what they endured with the above mentioned.

The same minority who justified a pic of WW carrying severed heads as trophies as ok, while they claimed scandal at the absurd rape theory.

Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    When you find a victim who was raped by an immortal amazon who goes around in invisible jets and rapes someone who's dead boyfriend took possession of his body, let us know. Its actually insulting to real victims to compare what they endured with the above mentioned.
    I encourage you to re-read my quote, we seem to be making the same point, but to different ends. Regardless, this subject isn't one that needs to gain ANY more traction, so I will not be piping up about it anymore. Hopefully it'll be ignored enough times that people will (please) stop bringing it up on this forum.

Peace and love to ALL!
    Ray
    **=w=**

Incredible Member

Huh.

Sex without consent between partners is rape.

This has been depicted in various ways in science fiction and fantasy throughout the years.

I don't want to say it was rape in WW84, I get no pleasure from it and I certainly don't wish to trigger any real life rape survivors...

But that's what it was. She used the random man's body...she touched his private parts....not Steve's...and she never even told him afterwards. And that meeting was framed as a "meet cute". Gross.

This being a fantasy movie doesn't change that.
    If she kills fantasy characters does that mean it's not a death or murder because the character couldn't exist in real life..? I don't think so.

I'm not looking to argue with folks but come on...it was a rape. She is supposed to be a principled character and we don't want it to be the legacy of the film but...that's what it was. Her being pretty or a heroine doesn't absolve her of that.