Page 139 of 170 FirstFirst ... 3989129135136137138139140141142143149 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,085 of 2541
    Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

It sounds like the film is a fun superhero romp, the problem is I think we've been spoiled on CBM that are more than fun superhero romps.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    This is largely why I don't want Jenkins to leave entirely. Ideally she should remain as an overseeing producer and help with the plot/script. But IMO we will need a new director who is better at handling action and spectacle.

Also, I don't usually care for Grace Randolph but I watched her speculation video on WW3 and I like her ideas of Wonder Woman and Lynda Carter vs. Cheetah and Circe.

I did something an armchair movie reviewer should never do. I gave an opinion about a movie I hadn’t finished watching. When I said both movies were letdowns I still had an hour to go on WW84.

Well... I just finished watching the Diana/Cheetah/Lord showdown scene at the White House and I LOVED IT. I had to stop watching the movie again (with a half hour remaining) to come post this.

All of that to say, I think Jenkins does action well. The movie (and the first one, too) drags in between action/adventure set pieces.

...of course I’m doing it again—I may feel differently after I’ve seen the finale. LOL
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post

WW84's RT score is now officially below the lowest MCU score.
    I refuse to believe that it is even close to be as bad as Dark Worlds.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    This is largely why I don't want Jenkins to leave entirely. Ideally she should remain as an overseeing producer and help with the plot/script. But IMO we will need a new director who is better at handling action and spectacle.

Also, I don't usually care for Grace Randolph but I watched her speculation video on WW3 and I like her ideas of Wonder Woman and Lynda Carter vs. Cheetah and Circe.
    To be honest, I don't want Lynda Carter in it because writers can't resist having the mentor die for the hero's journey and I just don't think I can handle watching an Amazon Lynda Carter eat it on screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    I would argue it isn't, but if someone's coming to it hoping for a non-stop action piece they're going to be very disappointed. A lot of it is character work, which is kind of where I live so I was very satisfied. For many, though, I think they went into it thinking "alright, big roller coaster ride with neon lights and lots of action" which isn't the movie we got.

https://ew.com/movies/wonder-woman-3...y-warner-bros/

The super duo of Gal Gadot and Patty Jenkins will complete their Woman Woman trilogy with a final installment.

Warner Bros. confirmed Woman Woman 3 on Sunday after the huge success of Wonder Woman 1984's Christmas day release. The D.C. Extended Universe film racked up $16.7 million during its opening weekend domestically and $85 million worldwide to date.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

For a long time, I've thought reviewers were gentler on Marvel films than DC films. Granted, I think a good chunk of the DCEU movies are flat-out bad, and the Marvel ones are generally watchable, but something like Thor: The Dark World is totally unwatchable today, and stuff like Doctor Strange was pretty unremarkable, but you wouldn't know that just by looking at reviewer scores. Make of that what you will.

I think WW84 is getting dinged for not hitting some reviewers' pre-conceived notions of what a superhero movie should be. Granted, I think a moderately-good score is about right, but I can't escape the feeling that if it had a "Marvel" log slapped in front it would've gotten a better score. Then again, if it were a "Marvel" movie, it would've looked better and had better action sequences...

Okay, I’ve watched the entire thing. I doubt I have any illuminating thoughts that aren’t already in this thread. So I’ll be brief:

At the conclusion I felt much more satisfied than I did at the end of the first movie.

Watching it in installments may have been to my benefit. It’s a looong movie and narrative momentum sometimes stalled. This could have been more economical. Hate to say it, but maybe they could have ditched Cheetah. I mean... Barbara’s story, Steve’s story, Max’s story...that was a lot of character work.

I think the movie will age well. It’s message may be contributing to the “divisive” reception it’s getting.

EDIT: I think the action scenes, which are lengthy and plentiful, may be getting short shrift because Diana is mostly defensive and not aggressive, as in the first movie.
    Last edited by Largo161; 12-27-2020 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    EDIT: I think the action scenes, which are lengthy and plentiful, may be getting short shrift because Diana is mostly defensive and not aggressive, as in the first movie.
    I think this is exactly the case. My boyfriend, who knew zippo about WW outside Lynda Carter as a kid before he met me 9 years ago, stated that he wished there were more scenes of Diana being a "badass warrior woman". He was teasing me, but that seems to be what general audiances seem to think of when they claim to "like" Wonder Woman.

I've found, more often than not, that non-comic reader's opinion of Wonder Woman has largely been formed by her depiction in the DCAU. I have corrected some, whom I feel would be receptive of what Diana is ACTUALLY about, but more often than not I have to bite my tongue. A character created and based around LOVE! Eww, how cheesy, how pandering, how whatever.

There are some that just don't get that one can be "badass" while ALSO believing in compassion and kindness and, yes, love. It's the reason I've LOVED Wonder Woman for so much of my life, and I hope with all my geeky, fanboy heart, that TPTB will NEVER take that foundation from this character that does truely mean a lot to so many people!

End rant. Sorry!
    Peace and love to all of you, even those who's opinions differ from mine!

Cheers!
    Ray
    **=w=**
    Last edited by rayray1127; 12-27-2020 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    Nowhere close. This movie is being review-bombed for reasons both known and unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    Marvel’s direction, production, and yes, writing are all superior to anything in DC’s shared universe thus far, with the exceptions of the first WW, Shazam, and possibly Birds of Prey.
    Have you noticed that Iron Man, Ant-Man, and Dr. Strange are practically the same movie? With Marvel you know what you're gonna get because it all fits the assembly line structure.

Because DC and WB take more creative risks, you'll have some winners and losers.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    This is because people focus on different aspects they are uncomfortable with the film.

For example:

The anti-men is likely because it totally ignores the man Steve is possesing (and the rape implications).

The anti-women is because Diana seems too dependent on her relationship with Steve.
    Like tons of 80's programming I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I can understand the anti-men criticism, but anti-women? Male superheroes were just as fixated on their love interests in their movies. Superman 2 and Spider-Man 2 even had a very similar premise: Peter and Clark had to renounce their powers so that they can be with their girlfriends
    Thank you! I remember a story where Superman pined for Lois Lane for a thousand years , and wouldn't sleep with Diana because of his lost love. But people are having a fit because Diana was missing Steve for 50 years. Steve Rogers manipulated time to replace Peggy's husband despite knowing she'd had a life and family after him.

One more thing, Diana shouldn’t have (apparently) been friendless. They underutilized Natasha Rothwell. She could’ve been patterned after Becca from Walt Simonson’s run, maybe.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    I don't share this view. I'm sure that some people would have preferred more "warrior woman;" but, for me, I quite like the approach they chose to be more defensive focusing on the lasso instead of a sword.

However, that approach wasn't implemented all that well (imo). Take the last fight with Cheetah for example. Rather than have her hiding behind the wings of the Golden Chicken, I wanted to see her in a brutal, one-sided fight with Cheetah. One-sided because Diana isn't being aggressive; kind of like Morpheus when he keeps blocking Neo in The Matrix.

You can have more interesting action scenes without them being hyper-aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    Thank you! I remember a story where Superman pined for Lois Lane for a thousand years , and wouldn't sleep with Diana because of his lost love. But people are having a fit because Diana was missing Steve for 50 years. Steve Rogers manipulated time to replace Peggy's husband despite knowing she'd had a life and family after him.
    Actually, the SM/WW shippers were absolutely livid over that story. And that was a divergent timeline thing.