Page 89 of 170 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399139 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 2540
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Judging by that clip, wishing to be an apex predator turned her into Cheetah? That's kinda weird, cheetah is not what comes to mind when you think about apex predators.
    Sounds like the Johns influence creeping in. That was her motive in the New 52. Overall it seems to be playing out better here from what we know.

Maybe if Marston called her the Lioness we wouldn't have this issue

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

At this point, we all know that movies based on other media will always be adaptations. It is a reality that the more we accept the less "painful" it will be. I wish that movie Cheetah were based on Perez's British archaelogist (because that was the Cheetah I grew up with) just like I am sure that many people would prefer she were based on haughty Priscilla Rich or on Debbie Domaine, but it is what it is. That is what movies do, and I am fine with this Barbara Minerva, especially after listening to Wiig's line delivery of "I want to be an apex predator." She seems to convey the right amount of fearsomeness and menace, and I am here for it.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    At this point, we all know that movies based on other media will always be adaptations. It is a reality that the more we accept the less "painful" it will be. I wish that movie Cheetah were based on Perez's British archaelogist (because that was the Cheetah I grew up with) just like I am sure that many people would prefer she were based on haughty Priscilla Rich or on Debbie Domaine, but it is what it is. That is what movies do, and I am fine with this Barbara Minerva, especially after listening to Wiig's line delivery of "I want to be an apex predator." She seems to convey the right amount of fearsomeness and menace, and I am here for it.
    Agreed. I've gotten to the point where I'm ok with her not being British despite being named Barbara Minerva, since Priscilla Rich was American. She seems to be even more influenced by Priscilla than Rucka's Rebirth versions was. She's essentially Priscilla in motive but with Barbara's name and turns into a were-cat.

Considering how all over the place Cheetah has been in her various incarnations in the comics, this is to be expected and the end results seem like a worthy addition to the various versions.

Movie version comes off a bit more like Batman Returns Catwoman though I guess you could say that kind of characterization works better for Priscilla Rich or modern Barbara than it does for Selina Kyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Movie version comes off a bit more like Batman Returns Catwoman though I guess you could say that kind of characterization works better for Priscilla Rich or modern Barbara than it does for Selina Kyle.
    Weirdly, Returns Selina hits on the same archetype as Priscilla. She even has a scene where she talks to herself in a mirror (very briefly). I don't think it was intentional, but funny how that worked out.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    In the TV shows Barbara never has a British accent I've actually only heard it I think once and that was in the JL doom. Another thing I notice about cheetah is that a lot of times in comics/tv shows she doesn't look like one at all. her spots are brown frequently and sometimes shaped liked big diamonds, for example how she looked in JL doom & bloodlines. She usually lacks tear lines which is a standout feature among cheetahs. I guess writers dont really know how these cats look or confuse them with jaguars?
    Last edited by Mysterious; 08-06-2020 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post
    In the TV shows Barbara never has a British accent I've actually only heard it I think once and that was in the JL doom. Another thing I notice about cheetah is that a lot of times in comics/tv shows she doesn't look like one at all. her spots are brown frequently and sometimes shaped liked big diamonds, for example how she looked in JL doom & bloodlines. She usually lacks tear lines which is a standout feature among cheetahs. I guess writers dont really know how these cats look or confuse them with jaguars?
    I think she actually has those in Bloodlines. Wiig will have them as well.

It's actually a detail I've come to like a lot since Sharp added them.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Sounds like the Johns influence creeping in. That was her motive in the New 52. Overall it seems to be playing out better here from what we know
    Johns also had her say that jungle is her hunting ground...despite the fact that cheetahs don't even live in jungles.

In the TV shows Barbara never has a British accent I've actually only heard it I think once and that was in the JL doom
    She also had one is Super Hero Girls. Incidentally, the only good versions of Barbara in outside media are the ones with the accent while all the bad ones are without. Hopefully, the movie version won't repeat this tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Johns also had her say that jungle is her hunting ground...despite the fact that cheetahs don't even live in jungles.
    To be fair to Johns, Perez did it first by putting the Urzkartaga cult and their Cheetah goddess in the deep jungle.

As far as deities to curse Barbara Ann go, I'd rather an Egyptian goddess like Mafdet curse her for trying to appropriate her power. The ins and outs of the Urzkartaga curse have always been a little convoluted in both the Perez run and Rebirth.

Incredible Member

I am trying to remember the ins-and-outs of the curse as Perez originally presented it, but I'm failing to remember how it got convoluted. My understanding was always that the plant God wanted a virgin woman to marry him and receive some of his power and hunt for him or something like that. Then, the situation was perverted by having Sebastian become a male Cheetah, and then it went back to being Barbara again until Rebirth slightly rewrote things. I just can't remember what the changes were. Could someone refresh me please? I always thought it was fairly consistent.

Mattel’s Cheetah Barbie doll has been revealed:

https://www.cbr.com/wonder-woman-198...-cheetah-look/

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    As far as deities to curse Barbara Ann go, I'd rather an Egyptian goddess like Mafdet curse her for trying to appropriate her power.
    I agree. It seems a lot cleaner, more logical (i.e. a Cheetah goddess curses a power hungry archaeologist to become a cheetah) and would help to make Diana and Barbara mirrors of one another given Diana's connection to the Greek gods (depending upon the origin story) and Barbara would then have her own connection to the Egyptian gods. Diana was blessed, but Barbara was cursed. Diana is a goddess longing to be more human. Barbara was a human who longed to have the power of a goddess. There's a lot of duality with the characters which could help to more firmly establish Cheetah's place as Diana's arch nemesis.

The trailer is still coming this 12 right?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    I agree. It seems a lot cleaner, more logical (i.e. a Cheetah goddess curses a power hungry archaeologist to become a cheetah) and would help to make Diana and Barbara mirrors of one another given Diana's connection to the Greek gods (depending upon the origin story) and Barbara would then have her own connection to the Egyptian gods. Diana was blessed, but Barbara was cursed. Diana is a goddess longing to be more human. Barbara was a human who longed to have the power of a goddess. There's a lot of duality with the characters which could help to more firmly establish Cheetah's place as Diana's arch nemesis.
    Yeah. Like Mafdet could be all "you barge into my chamber/tomb and ask for divine gifts? Well be careful what you wish for." I like the scene of Diana finding a transformed Cheetah in Godwatch. There are some potential drawbacks to Barbara being stuck in beast form, but Diana finding her that way is much more visceral/horrifying. But I would swap out Urkzartaga for Mafdet in a heart beat.

I also agree that Mafdet would've been better. It never made sense why a plant god has a cheetah bride anyway. And being cursed by a Egyptian godess would've given her an interesting connection with the Bana.