Page 121 of 170 FirstFirst ... 2171111117118119120121122123124125131 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,815 of 2541
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    I figured that the sequel wouldn't quite live up to the original (few do). Still, an 8 sounds pretty good.

Holy political projections, Batman! When can a movie scene just be a movie scene?

I'm pretty sure that's not a spoiler. =p
    I think it all depends in personal taste. I like both movies. I feel both have their issues. But overall. WW84 feels more like a WW film than the first. The essence of the character is more present in WW84.

I watched "Wonder Woman 1984" yesterday. In a nutshell, do you remember how much you enjoyed the first movie? Well, this is NOTHING like that. But at least it has a lot of pointless fanservice. YAY! Also, the script and the CGI at some parts are really bad. I mean, MCU-level of bad. Congratulations, Geoff Johns.
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crown View Post
    Also, the script and the CGI at some parts are really bad. I mean, MCU-level of bad. Congratulations, Geoff Johns.
    Did I stumble into the mirror universe where bad means good? Do I need to shave my beard into a goatee?
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

I watched "Wonder Woman 1984" yesterday. In a nutshell, do you remember how much you enjoyed the first movie? Well, this is NOTHING like that. But at least it has a lot of pointless fanservice. YAY! Also, the script and the CGI at some parts are really bad. I mean, MCU-level of bad. Congratulations, Geoff Johns.
    I can understand the script but other than Black Panther, I have not seen any problem with the CGI in MCU

Extraordinary Member

Um, shouldn't you be "thanking" Patty Jenkins, who actually directed the movie, for problems with the FX?

Another review I saw on the movie suggested it was bloated and overlong, not as good as the original. The reviewer thought he was grading it on a curve, and also said the animated movie "Soul", from Pixar, debuting on the same platform on the same day, (Christmas Day), was the better movie of the two.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Did I stumble into the mirror universe where bad means good? Do I need to shave my beard into a goatee?
    To some, if it's not a Zack Snyder movie, it's a bad DC movie (and therefore an MCU movie)

Some on Twitter are even using the RT score as proof for it is underperforming, which considering the source and their preferences lol. Oddly, Zack and Patty seem to get along well and support each other, so it just makes it even sillier.

Astonishing Member

Why just go with Rotten Tomatoes when you have "Mixed/Average" on Metacritic?
    https://www.metacritic.com/movie/wonder-woman-1984
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Why just go with Rotten Tomatoes when you have "Mixed/Average" on Metacritic?
    https://www.metacritic.com/movie/wonder-woman-1984
    I do not know the reason for the critial reception of this movie. It better portays WW than the first. Probably what let this movie down in my opinion, is the pacing in some parts and the underwhelming resolution with Cheetah. Not enough happens in 2:30 hours. At least not in a way that can justify its length. Too much time and yet the big spectacle moment never came. The first had the adventage of being the first step. The origin story. A sequele should and needs more weight. But overall, i still think it is a better showing of the wonder verse than the first.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

This new film is amazing. I feel like mystical41: I feel that this one better captures what my idea of WW has always been (which is, of course, colored by the classic comic books I read). Don't get me wrong: I love the first movie. Love it to death. But this one is another level of amazing. I also feel that it is even more emotionally resonant that the first one.
    I will forever be grateful for two fantastic WW films, and I hope that they make a third one.

My only nitpick with WW84 is Cheetah. I feel that, if anything, her look had to be phenomenally well rendered; the type of special effect that would become a watercooler moment/buzzworthy kind of event. But it did not live up to what Cheetah could have been. I was hoping for Thanos-level of CGI, but we got a meh thing. And narratively speaking, Cheetah was meh also. But that did not make me enjoy the overall movie any less.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think one of the consistent comments I'm seeing for this movie that have been used for both praise and criticism is that it's not like a modern CBM. It is more along the lines of the Donner Superman movies, Burton's Batman (especially Returns in how it uses the villains) and Raimi's Spider-Man movies, which offers a different flavor than the CBMs we get lately. In which everything has to have larger and larger spectacle and/or be part of a shared universe that sows the seeds of 15 other films.

If this movie shapes up to be a mostly entertaining retro-ish CBM that tells a good story with good characters and at least attempts to have a lesson/theme, I will consider it a win. Sometimes it's ok for films to just be good and entertaining and not change the landscape or whatever. We don't actually have a blockbuster of that quality in recent years anyway. I also like that it at least seems to attempt to give the villains character arcs so they are not one note even if it doesn't seem to be sticking the landing with everyone. But from what I'm hearing from some, Wiig and Pascal might have given the best villains performances in the DCEU to date.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    My only nitpick with WW84 is Cheetah. I feel that, if anything, her look had to be phenomenally well rendered; the type of special effect that would become a watercooler moment/buzzworthy kind of event. But it did not live up to what Cheetah could have been. I was hoping for Thanos-level of CGI, but we got a meh thing. And narratively speaking, Cheetah was meh also. But that did not make me enjoy the overall movie any less.
    Wasn't she mostly prosthetics and make-up? At least that's what I believe Jenkins said

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/256...v=related_list

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think one of the consistent comments I'm seeing for this movie that have been used for both praise and criticism is that it's not like a modern CBM. It is more along the lines of the Donner Superman movies, Burton's Batman (especially Returns in how it uses the villains) and Raimi's Spider-Man movies, which offers a different flavor than the CBMs we get lately. In which everything has to have larger and larger spectacle and/or be part of a shared universe that sows the seeds of 15 other films.

If this movie shapes up to be a mostly entertaining retro-ish CBM that tells a good story with good characters and at least attempts to have a lesson/theme, I will consider it a win. Sometimes it's ok for films to just be good and entertaining and not change the landscape or whatever. We don't actually have a blockbuster of that quality in recent years anyway. I also like that it at least seems to attempt to give the villains character arcs so they are not one note even if it doesn't seem to be sticking the landing with everyone. But from what I'm hearing from some, Wiig and Pascal might have given the best villains performances in the DCEU to date.

Wasn't she mostly prosthetics and make-up? At least that's what I believe Jenkins said

I read that, but to be honest, I did not see it. It is just my perception; she seemed to be mostly CGI. But again, I loved the sequel with all my heart, and I appreciate the pacing and the tone. It was definitely a film that harks back to a more innocent era; an era of less "sophisticated" blockbuster. I actually had a blast with that.
    Now, with that being said: I want that third WW film to be all about Circe, spectacle, monsters from myth and bone-crunching action/feats of wonder from start to finish.

Extraordinary Member

It is certainly better than Batman Returns, which I felt was pretty bad because the Penguin was just awful.

I see some reviews running down Pas sls performance. I thought he was excellent.

One of the great things about the movie is that the villains aren’t straight up villains. Both have reasonable motivations and aren’t straight up evil in the way Joker, Ultron, or Zod are. Or even, for that latter, Ares, Dr Poison, and Ludendorf. And the evolution of theur powers to match their comic book counterparts is also cleverly handled.
    Last edited by brettc1; 12-24-2020 at 02:39 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

To some, if it's not a Zack Snyder movie, it's a bad DC movie (and therefore an MCU movie)

Some on Twitter are even using the RT score as proof for it is underperforming, which considering the source and their preferences lol. Oddly, Zack and Patty seem to get along well and support each other, so it just makes it even sillier.
    RT score does not determine the success of the movie, those using that score are the cult, they did a similar thing two years with Aquaman who got a 65 RT score, but then they went silent when it became BO hit. So don't worry about RT rating. They will use anything to diminish other movies not by Zack.

I'm looking forward to seeing this movie even more now that I know its pretty original/different.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

You're the one with Batman v Superman as your top DCEU film. Don't act like you're coming here to this thread without any bias.
    Geoff Johns has been more successful in the DCEU and DC in general than Zack Snyder. Facts.