Page 106 of 170 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116156 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 2541
    BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Honestly I find the reviews sort of disappointing. What the critics are saying feels expected, common, superficial. Basically the standard comic book movie reviews in this age. oh it has action, oh it has humour, oh it has spectacular visuals, oh its fun. It sounds like the reviews MCU movies gets. DC WB keeps selling out.

Wonder Woman, Shazam, Black Adam , Aquaman now just feels like another set of Marvel MCU movies because critics chose to burn Snyder's vision.
    Critics chose to burn Snyder's "vision" because his vision was turgid, uber-bleak, narratively incoherent, and exceptionally disjointed.
    His plotting and characterization was execrable, and he simply has no understanding of these iconic characters. Don't blame reviewers for seeing what was quite evident: Snyder cannot direct a DC superhero film to save his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Honestly I find the reviews sort of disappointing. What the critics are saying feels expected, common, superficial. Basically the standard comic book movie reviews in this age. oh it has action, oh it has humour, oh it has spectacular visuals, oh its fun. It sounds like the reviews MCU movies gets. DC WB keeps selling out.

I will watch 1984 because I am a fan but my creative heart now lies more with The Batman. I think this will be the first true artistic bold comic film from DC since The Joker.

Wonder Woman, Shazam, Black Adam , Aquaman now just feels like another set of Marvel MCU movies because critics chose to burn Snyder's vision.
    I didn't get that at all from these reviews. My inference is that this movie is full of heart and its strength is in the character development (which, frankly, isn't something one can say for a lot of comic book movies). One of the reviews even said that WW1984 works better as a romantic film than a comic book movie. The near universal complaints IMO appear to center on the runtime and the third act's over-reliance on CGI. I'm honestly very excited about this movie because I think what really separates the WW franchise from so many other by-the-book comic book movies are the characterizations. You really empathize with all of the main players, especially Diana. That definitely seems to be the case based on these reviews.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Guys i no longer know how to feel about WW in general. The film sounds like a well writen piece. With heart and character development. But i feel sad if rumors are true that there isn't much action. Because i was hoping that if thes movie was a hit. We could say goodbye to sword and shield. So i trusted Patty's words about Diana being more powerful in this movie and not needing the sword and shield. But if she doesn't even fight much, and that armor is taking the spotlight. Then that makes me really sad.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by eleganza View Post
    I didn't get that at all from these reviews. My inference is that this movie is full of heart and its strength is in the character development (which, frankly, isn't something one can say for a lot of comic book movies). One of the reviews even said that WW1984 works better as a romantic film than a comic book movie. The near universal complaints IMO appear to center on the runtime and the third act's over-reliance on CGI. I'm honestly very excited about this movie because I think what really separates the WW franchise from so many other by-the-book comic book movies are the characterizations. You really empathize with all of the main players, especially Diana. That definitely seems to be the case based on these reviews.
    I agree with you. One review even said, "brave." It seems this movie actually has a message, and Jenkins has said for years that one of the themes is, "be careful what you wish for." It seems this movie will explore the consequences of hope, humanity, and what it takes to defend one's innocence in a world that values cynicism and corruption. I, for one, can't wait to watch this on Christmas day.

These reviews are encouraging for the most part but let’s not turn this into another debate on Synder’s films again.

BANNED

Take Grace's review with a grain of salt, overall, she said the movie was great, however there is something that caught my eyes on her list of breakdowns. she said the movie was cartoonish vs the grounded realism of the first film, something I personally loved about the first film. cartoonish looking movies has never been a DC thing not since the late 90s.Its one of the things that I dislike about MCU movies, so Grace saying the movie did a 180 from grounded realism to cartoonish atmosphere is still signs DC is trying to copy that marvel formula.

Last edited by Castle; 12-15-2020 at 04:32 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The MCU didn't invent light visuals or fun/cartoony atmosphere.

Superheroes can work in stories with grounded realism, but it's not like that's a unique style for films in general or that it's a prerequisite for them to work. often times they work as well, if not better, by embracing the fact that are essentially cartoons.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 12-15-2020 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

Superheroes can work in stories with grounded realism, but it's not like that's a unique style for films in general or that it's a prerequisite for them to work. often times they work as well, if not better, by embracing the fact that are essentially cartoons.
    I wouldn't say that the MCU movie are light visually. Maybe in comparison to Snyder's movies, but a lot of them look rather washed out and drab due to the colour grading.

As for grounded realism versus cartoons, I think that's a false dichotomy. Two hours of Roadrunner cartoons would be unbearable to watch. I think it's more important to look at the emotional journeys of the main characters, and how they interact with other characters. I think it's also telling that the most engaging action sequences of Wonder Woman 2017 didn't have a lot of cartoonishness to them—the crossing of No Man's Land; the beach battle—instead they were unfolding rather slowly and there was a lot of gravity (as in the physical force) to them.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    WB posted another promotional piece, including a lot of the opening scenes

Some comments:

Little Diana continues to be awesome, and the opening of her running through the woods and meadows on Themyscira reminds me to some degree of the Shire scenes in the opening of the Fellowship of the Ring movie, but even more so of Ronia, the Robber's Daughter. (Heh. I learned to know Hanna Zetterberg, who played Ronia, a few years later.)

The depiction of the Amazons is awesome. I have no idea how many extras they got for the amphitheatre scenes, but it felt a lot more real than hyper-choreographed audience in the Aquaman dueling scene.

The music works better within the context of the film than it did by its own. I'd still have prefered a less staccato rhythm, but whatever.
    Looks good though seeing this Olympic stuff makes wish they could have found a way to incorporate the contest into the origin in the first film.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

Given some of the reviews and stuff from the leaks that reviews seem to confirm, sounds like the film so far takes more from the Reeve Superman films than MCU at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Looks good though seeing this Olympic stuff makes wish they could have found a way to incorporate the contest into the origin in the first film.
    I think this is definitely their way of making up for cutting the contest in the first movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think this is definitely their way of making up for cutting the contest in the first movie.
    That’s been my thought too since I saw the first trailers.

Better late then never?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I wouldn't say that the MCU movie are light visually. Maybe in comparison to Snyder's movies, but a lot of them look rather washed out and drab due to the colour grading.

As for grounded realism versus cartoons, I think that's a false dichotomy. Two hours of Roadrunner cartoons would be unbearable to watch. I think it's more important to look at the emotional journeys of the main characters, and how they interact with other characters. I think it's also telling that the most engaging action sequences of Wonder Woman 2017 didn't have a lot of cartoonishness to them—the crossing of No Man's Land; the beach battle—instead they were unfolding rather slowly and there was a lot of gravity (as in the physical force) to them.
    Yeah I was mainly drawing the comparison to Snyder's movies.

And I don't think cartoony is an automatic good thing just as grounded realism isn't an automatic bad thing, if this movie is more cartoony but still works within the context it sets up for itself it can be just as effective in its own way as the grounded realism of those scenes in the first WW. Too much grounded realism can result in something that takes itself too seriously and takes a lot of the energy and color out of superheroes, whereas too much camp and cartoonishness can result in Batman & Robin.

I think the first Wonder Woman film balances these things better than most, we still have Diana as a comic character that looks like she leapt off the page even if they ground things more than her stories typically do. Unlike the original X-Men films: overall good films (despite the tainted legacy of their director), but the black leather look for the team is incredibly dull to look at.

BANNED

My likeness is grounded realism over cartoonish fantasy. However I can take cartoonish fantasy if it is handled well. I should have seen this coming when Wonder Woman was dressed more in the blue skirt from the trailer. Honestly I preferred the full brown uniform form the first film, it fitted that world war 1 era.

I do have faith in Patty Jenkins decision professionally, the 1980s where about bubble gum colors and brightness, I mostly many times never agree with Grace's reviews, she could be wrong on her criticism that the movie looked too cartoonish

Has she ever caught a bullet with the lasso?

And Diana doomed herself the moment she wore those heels .

All-New Member