Page 111 of 170 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121161 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 2541
    Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    A big WOW moment certainly wouldn’t have hurt the film and the thing is, according to the reddit leak, Wonder Woman was supposed to dismantle a nuclear missile. That didn’t happen. Otherwise the leak was spot on though so I’m wondering whether they cut that out. I even have an idea why they might’ve done that...
    Apparently, many of the posters here do not require a WOW moment. Just a judicious use of power like the Azz series which was extremely underwhelming in terms of feats as a series. Remember that time that Diana needed to be in an induced coma, yet Orion, in the same fight, didn't.

I think too many people here are accepting the nerfing of WW's powerset to say that they only care about the story and characterization. If Patty is as great a director and writer as many people here think, then it shouldn't be a problem for her to show Wonder Woman shine in her powers and actually face threats that can show it off!

I don't want the web-lightning swinging friendly neighborhood Wonder Woman. I want the Wonder Woman that can go toe to toe with Superman and give him a run for his money.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    A big WOW moment certainly wouldn’t have hurt the film and the thing is, according to the reddit leak, Wonder Woman was supposed to dismantle a nuclear missile. That didn’t happen. Otherwise the leak was spot on though so I’m wondering whether they cut that out. I even have an idea why they might’ve done that...
    Why? Because WW being a powerhouse these days is against the laws? They would compare her to some other character? What a sin!, WW getting powerhouse feats. I guess they forgot she was a powerhouse way before she was wonder xena with flight.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    WW was writen as a big powerhouse in her original run in the 40s
    Did she move planets in the forties? Did she fly in the forties? Didn't she lose her super strength if a male welded chains to her bracelets together? Didn't later Golden Age stories depict WW go into an uncontrollable destructive frenzy if her bracelets were removed? Doesn't sound like a powerhouse to me. I recall no incredibly impressive feats of "powerhouseness" from the original run, but I am open to be corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    Did she move planets in the forties? Did she fly in the forties? Didn't she lose her super strength if a male welded chains to her bracelets together? Didn't later Golden Age stories depict WW go into an uncontrollable destructive frenzy if her bracelets were removed? Doesn't sound like a powerhouse to me. I recall no incredibly impressive feats of "powerhouseness" from the original run, but I am open to be corrected.
    Yes. She moved the moon in the forties. She also moved planets and even the sun. Her bracelets being removed back then would make her go into a berserk mode where her power is boosted. And her own creator said she was meant to be as powerful as Superman. So when it comes to being accurate to the original material. WW should be portrayed as a powerhouse. Because that is how her original run portrayed her.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I wouldn't look to Marston for consistency in power levels, because he and most comic creators at that point simply didn't care about such things. They wrote Wonder Woman and Superman in bright magical cartoon worlds that didn't resemble ours. Superman could fly to Venus and talk in the apparently breathable atmosphere to the vegetable people that live there (no joke, it happened). Wonder Woman could lasso the sun, but the moon was also sometimes depicted as a crescent moon with a smiling face and nobody in-universe reacted as if that was strange.

She could lasso the sun, and next minute be knocked out by a blow to the back of the skull by non-powered Hypnota or outraced by non-powered Priscilla Rich. Some people already went ballistic when the gunman in Justice League hit her in the back of the head and her head moved and she looked mildly annoyed. Some of Marston's plots wouldn't go over well with everyone who wants her to be a Superman level power house. Because she and Superman himself back then would lose to lower level opponents to make the plot work.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I wouldn't look to Marston for consistency in power levels, because he and most comic creators at that point simply didn't care about such things. They wrote Wonder Woman and Superman in bright magical cartoon worlds that didn't resemble ours. Superman could fly to Venus and talk in the apparently breathable atmosphere to the vegetable people that live there (no joke, it happened). Wonder Woman could lasso the sun, but the moon was also sometimes depicted as a crescent moon with a smiling face and nobody in-universe reacted as if that was strange.

She could lasso the sun, and next minute be knocked out by a blow to the back of the skull by non-powered Hypnota or outraced by non-powered Priscilla Rich. Some people already went ballistic when the gunman in Justice League hit her in the back of the head and her head moved and she looked mildly annoyed. Some of Marston's plots wouldn't go over well with everyone who wants her to be a Superman level power house. Because she and Superman himself back then would lose to lower level opponents to make the plot work.
    low end and anti feats still exist today. In fact, Superman and Wonder Woman have received plenty in rebirth alone. The point is that WW was indeed shown as a powerhouse in her original run. So i see no reason to assume that she shouldn't be portrayed as such, like user futurewonder seemed to suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Do I care about Diana's power level? To a degree, but I care much more about her personality and her actions.

Put another way, if Diana's power level is sufficient, then I'm fine, as long as the characterisation and story is good. What is sufficient is of course subjective, but as a guideline she should be roughly on par with Superman in team titles in overall power level. In solo titles I can see a lot of variation, and short stories where she doesn't use any powers at all are perfectly fine by me, if the actual story calls for it.

But more than powers I want Diana to be cool. While swinging on lightning using the lasso might be far less powerful and more impractical than actual flying, it's undeniably a lot cooler.
    That last part is very questionable.

Jeez... some people really get me mad, I'am reading people on social media gloating that the movie did not do as expected on its opening in China.
    Would expect that from some Marvel fans but from DC fans, a BIG NO.

Can we get over this Snyder or nothing, maybe I am wrong because I root for anything DC, but honestly I don't think I am wrong at least on this.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    Jeez... some people really get me mad, I'am reading people on social media gloating that the movie did not do as expected on its opening in China.

Can we get over this Snyder or nothing, maybe I am wrong because I root for anything DC, but honestly I don't think I am wrong at least on this.
    It has nothing to do with Snyder. Snyder movies did not DO well in China either. The problem is making a romance movie with very little action.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    It has nothing to do with Snyder. Snyder movies did not DO well in China either. The problem is making a romance movie with very little action.
    its snyder stans that are gloating that its not doing well. But can't we all get this behind us, Snyder did his movies good or bad they are part of DCEU. It will get DC snyder fans nowhere to gloat for a movie or another that flops. It will only hurt DCEU if they do and wont get him back directing any future DCEU movie. He had his shot.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Isn't China having its own big domestic release around this time?

That probably has more to do with it than either favoritism for Snyder or this not having enough action.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Isn't China having its own big domestic release around this time?

That probably has more to do with it than either favoritism for Snyder or this not having enough action.
    well Wonder Woman 1st movie wasn't honestly that impressive overseas. But I am not referring to any chinese snyder stans. But to those who gloat on social media when a DC movie doesn't perform as expected.

Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    Are Chinese theatres operating at full capacity?

Because if you limit theatres to quarter capacity to facilitate distancing, then a movie won't draw in top dollars, no matter what.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

It's reason like this that I constantly rail against people citing the Box Office as an arbiter of quality.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut