Page 117 of 170 FirstFirst ... 1767107113114115116117118119120121127167 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,755 of 2541

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like I'm one of the few who actually liked the climax with Ares in the movie...
    It was good but not to the level of the rest of the movie, in my opinion. But that does not diminish the movie by any means, at least to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like I'm one of the few who actually liked the climax with Ares in the movie...
    I liked it too for the most part, I guess I kind of wished Ares was defeated closer to how he was in the comics or that he looked closer to Perez but that's fanboy quibbles on my part.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    As others have said , a lot of these complaints about Wonder Woman's final act seem to be made in bad faith. These sorts of scenes of ubiquitous in the genre so signalling out Wonder Woman for having them comes across as cherry picking at a minimum. The basic idea being "You think this film is so great? Well it has something that every other film in its genre does, checkmate!"
    Bravo.

I always found it hilarious that somebody decided that the third act of Wonder Woman was "bad" and suddenly (and because that is how the internet works), a lot of people latched on to that in order to have something, anything bad to say about the critically acclaimed WW movie. But again, that is the internet. Audiences at large, who don't comprise the legendarily, fastidiously nitpicky hordes of fanboydom, did not complain about the final fight. And hence the extraordinary word of mouth, the minuscule box office drops week after week, and the fantastic box office multipler. A multiplier which to this day, is the second best multiplier of ANY superhero film (Marvel or DC) made post-Iron Man (2008). By the way, the superhero film with THE BEST multiplier? Another DCEU film that many nerds complain about, Aquaman (apparently it was too campy or whatever). And yet audiences also loved it (just like WW).
    Last edited by FutureWonder; 12-21-2020 at 12:34 PM.

Okay, guys, let's keep this on track.

This isn't the 'let's slam WW 2017' thread
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Extraordinary Member

That's paywalled for me; what does she say? For what it's worth, my own thoughts are that for the near future at least, there aren't going to be too many tentpole, big budget movies okayed, at least until they have a sense as to whether theaters are coming back. On that note, the stimulus bill includes about $8 billion for theaters, so maybe that will at least keep them around for when the virus is contained. But I fear WW 3 will be delayed. Along with anything not already in production. That, or retooled to be cheaper so as to fit for streaming. Might even be a WW series on HBO Max, I'm thinking. Which might be better than movies, as long form storytelling can do better characterization. Not for Diana herself, she's fine in that respect. But for supporting characters.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Glad you liked it; I thought it was a terrible movie with horrible acting by everyone, a third act written by 1,000,000 blindfolded monkeys with one typewriter, worse villains than Justice League's Jefferson Airplane, and poor plotting. However, it seemed good when compared to the far worse Snyder things. Also, it didn't make me want to go and punch myself in the face repeatedly like the Snyder things. Of course, it was followed by other, better DC movies like Aquaman and Shazam. But it was a start at least.

That said, WW 1984 is hopefully a better beast. And that said, it isn't looking good for Diana; she had a terrible opening internationally, $38 million, about half from China---less than half what the original earned in the same period. To me, that looks like COVID is going to be messing with any theatrical release for maybe another year at least. And that said, I can't see how WB could have gone and done better with it; you just can't let it sit on the shelf indefinitely, and who knows, maybe it will help with HBO Max....okay, no, it won't.
    Agreed. We're in the middle of a surging pandemic. London was just completely shut down the other day, with most residents fleeing the city because a new virulent strain of COVID-19 has emerged. Of course it's not looking good for Diana. It wouldn't look good for any tentpole film. Frankly, I don't expect things to get back to normal until 2022 at least.

Not sure if someone already posted this but judging from what Patty Jenkins says here I wonder if the original ending of the first Wonder Woman was supposed to be closer to the ending of Gods and Mortals:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenr...y-jenkins/amp/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    Agreed. We're in the middle of a surging pandemic. London was just completely shut down the other day, with most residents fleeing the city because a new virulent strain of COVID-19 has emerged. Of course it's not looking good for Diana. It wouldn't look good for any tentpole film. Frankly, I don't expect things to get back to normal until 2022 at least.
    Yet another reason the pandemic sucks. However, it might...just might have a silver lining if it forces productions to spend much less. Spielberg, who had a now hilarious budget of $20 million for Raiders of the Lost Ark, famously said that if he'd had more money, he'd have made a pretentious, terrible movie instead of the all-time classic we got. I get the impression that too much money tends to get spent...even if it just makes things worse. As it was, the lower budget forced him to pay close attention to story, character arcs, and plotting.

Extraordinary Member

The complaints about WW 1984 seem to revolve around it being too heavy on romance, and too light on action----this is apparently the feeling from Chinese audiences....whether that's true or not I can't say. I do find it somewhat hard to believe---if there's anything you can rely on for a comic book movie, it's action.

The complaints about WW 1984 seem to revolve around it being too heavy on romance, and too light on action----this is apparently the feeling from Chinese audiences....whether that's true or not I can't say. I do find it somewhat hard to believe---if there's anything you can rely on for a comic book movie, it's action.
    It's not unheard of. Most of the Superman movies for example are very light on action and some reviews have stated this movie takes inspiration from the Reeves Superman movies.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

WW84 has 5 action set pieces, more than the first Wonder Woman movie. It’s not much the quantity but the quality that’s the issue, the action scenes are fun but not spectacular in any way, shape or form. Plus the climax of the movie is a bit underwhelming which does kinda leave you wanting more. Also Wonder Woman is playing defense the whole time. The Snyder cult fans are gonna rip this movie to shreds, you just wait

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    WW84 has 5 action set pieces, more than the first Wonder Woman movie. It’s not much the quantity but the quality that’s the issue, the action scenes are fun but not spectacular in any way, shape or form. Plus the climax of the movie is a bit underwhelming which does kinda leave you wanting more. Also Wonder Woman is playing defense the whole time. The Snyder cult fans are gonna rip this movie to shreds, you just wait
    Well it's probably safe to conclude it's a good movie despite its flaws if that is the case then lol

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    they are already doing that, and they haven't seen the movie, all because of some BO, as if there is no pandemic.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    they are already doing that, and they haven't seen the movie, all because of some BO, as if there is no pandemic.
    If the pandemic keeps hitting strong. People won't see big box office numbers until 2022 if not later. So i don't see the point in bringing up bo numbers for a movie released when most of the markets in the world are in a lockdown.