Page 135 of 170 FirstFirst ... 3585125131132133134135136137138139145 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,025 of 2541
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Not liking a movie is fine, but trying to quote some score off Rotten Tomatoes as a bastion of taste and culture is hilarious. Just have your own opinions. Movies are not math, they appeal on different levels.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    I understand the movie is a disappointment and vastly different in every way from the first film. I guess what I don't get is the hyperbole. People calling for Jenkins to be replaced, saying she's a bad director, comparing it to Batman V Superman. As you said, at worst, it's an average film, but it's in no way Green Lantern horrible. I hate to be "that person" but people are picking apart things that were explained in the film, but people didn't have a problem with the inane time travel shenanigans in Endgame which made no sense even in-universe. Blegh...
    I think this is so simple like people enjoyed one thing so they ignore its flaws, while they don't enjoy other thing so they exaggerate its flaws.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    It was about the JLU episode "Great Brain Robbery." People were complaining on his messageboard that Flash raped Tala.

Of course, you could also assume that there was nothing carnal about WW and Steve's interactions. That's another option for interpretation.
    You know, I forgot most of JLU's third season be cause it was clear their standards had dropped significantly. Now that you mention it, I do recall some sort of joke about Flash/Tala....was it clearly suggested they went all the way while he was in Lex's body?

...I was already so disgusted by how they were writing Tala as a one-dimensional slut that I probably rolled my eyes and tried to forget the specifics of that moment. I didn't even like her as a character...but when she starts literally rubbing on Lex after he shoots her boyfriend Grodd...? It was embarrassingly clear the writers had one take on her motivations.

...in WW84 you can't pretend Di and Steve didn't have sex. Come on. Its clear they did.

I think this film did well with having her fly, including Lynda and hiring Wiig....but it's a really heavy-handed picture that wastes Cheetah. It's long, scattered, predictable and exposed Gal's weaknesses.

I definitely have concerns about where WW3 would go.
    Last edited by DisneyBoy; 12-27-2020 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Not liking a movie is fine, but trying to quote some score off Rotten Tomatoes as a bastion of taste and culture is hilarious. Just have your own opinions. Movies are not math, they appeal on different levels.

Sure, it's all in personal taste, but RT isn't based on just one person's review but multiple...so it's reflective of the film's overall quality. I definitely thought there were enjoyable parts, but as a whole it just wasn't that good. It's not something I see myself watching ever again. But I realize there are other's who'll enjoy the film and think it's pretty great. I'm not one of those, and I'm not shaming anyone who liked it. But the overall consensus is that it's at most just average.

And to compare it to a Marvel film is a legit argument and question as to why DC films more often than not pale in comparison to their closest competitor.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    My "favorite" being the one that seems to pop up in a few reviews, that Diana appealing to the better nature of people and winning is inappropriate due to how bad 2020 was.
    That's funny because one review I read said it was too dark and depressing instead.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    That's funny because one review I read said it was too dark and depressing instead.
    I actually saw a review that said the movie was "cynical." I honestly don't know what movie some of these people were watching.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    Sure, it's all in personal taste, but RT isn't based on just one person's review but multiple...so it's reflective of the film's overall quality. I definitely thought there were enjoyable parts, but as a whole it just wasn't that good. It's not something I see myself watching ever again. But I realize there are other's who'll enjoy the film and think it's pretty great. I'm not one of those, and I'm not shaming anyone who liked it. But the overall consensus is that it's at most just average.

And to compare it to a Marvel film is a legit argument and question as to why DC films more often than not pale in comparison to their closest competitor.
    DC and Marvel are not really in the fierce competition fans think they are.

I mean, 'average' is a funny insult because most movies are 'average'. Not every single joint can blow you away, sometimes it's just well made and solid. Sometimes you read a novel and it is well written and has a strong sense of identity but it is not a revelation that you need to reassess your whole existence around. I think brandishing those scores as some sword and shield of extremes like 'this was good' and 'this was bad' is stupid. Movies are not 1+1=2 there's a whole realm of magic to what makes movies work for people.

I'm all for THAT conversation, what worked for me/what didn't. It's when the conversation is 'I was told this' or 'how will this movie fare globally' I get exhausted. I mean who cares? Just talk about your experience with it (unless you're an investor? I totally get it in that case).

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It's definitely an average movie and a disappointment, but yes some of the criticisms are kind of ridiculous.

My "favorite" being the one that seems to pop up in a few reviews, that Diana appealing to the better nature of people and winning is inappropriate due to how bad 2020 was.
    Yeah, I've seen that too and that just boggles my mind. I agree with a LOT of what reviewers are saying, but that I just can't understand.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Yeah, I've seen that too and that just boggles my mind. I agree with a LOT of what reviewers are saying, but that I just can't understand.
    It's as if they don't realize that characters like Wonder Woman and Superman were created as escapist entertainment and had a great deal of success during friggin World War 2

Some people say it's too cynical and depressing, others say it's too naive and cartoony, some say it's anti-women, others say it's anti-men, some say the story is too convoluted, others say it's too simplistic...Apparently the movie is all of these extremes at the same time!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Some people say it's too cynical and depressing, others say it's too naive and cartoony, some say it's anti-women, others say it's anti-men, some say the story is too convoluted, others say it's too simplistic...Apparently the movie is all of these extremes at the same time!
    This is because people focus on different aspects they are uncomfortable with the film.

For example:

The anti-men is likely because it totally ignores the man Steve is possesing (and the rape implications).

The anti-women is because Diana seems too dependent on her relationship with Steve.
    Last edited by Konja7; 12-27-2020 at 10:46 AM.

It is kind of interesting how this movie is so much more divisive than the previous one. Any idea's why that is?

Myself, I kind of think that if it didn't have the previous movie behind it, it would have been received more positively.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    This is because people focus on different aspects they are uncomfortable with the film.

For example:

The anti-men is likely because they totally ignore the man Steve is possesing (and the rape implications).

The anti-women is because Diana seems too dependent on her relationship with Steve.
    I can understand the anti-men criticism, but anti-women? Male superheroes were just as fixated on their love interests in their movies. Superman 2 and Spider-Man 2 even had a very similar premise: Peter and Clark had to renounce their powers so that they can be with their girlfriends

I've seen anti-woman complaints from people who aren't happy with Barbara desiring, from a simple perspective, just being hot and getting attention from men.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    While the audience reactions are troubling I feel kinda validated that a movie with Maxwell Lord at the center wasn't well received. Maybe this is what it takes for DC to finally stop forcing him into the WW mythos?
    Maxwell Lord isn’t the reason the film is getting mixed reactions. In fact Pedro is getting praised for his performance and fans want more of him (and Cheetah). So no this does not validate your bias towards Max. He’s here to stay, thankfully because Diana needs another strong villain (and more males too).