Page 140 of 170 FirstFirst ... 4090130136137138139140141142143144150 ... LastLast
Results 2,086 to 2,100 of 2541

I also don't need a hyper aggressive Diana in action. The movie's action sequences are akin to watching gameplay of a 90's-era 3D video game in which the physics engine is kind of wonky. I don't have a better way to describe it right now other than that the movement feels wrong. Also, I think the CGI is subpar (I feel this is true for most DCEU movies). So, the movie just doesn't look that great. But the ending is really like few other movies in the genre and it felt good to watch. I'd rather have a moment like that and blah visuals than great visuals and a heartless story.

EDIT: I should say some of the action sequences don't look good. I think there are some decent scenes, especially when it comes to the hand-to-hand stuff, but overall it's just not that spectacular. YMMV.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 12-27-2020 at 07:47 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I also don't need a hyper aggressive Diana in action. The movie's action sequences are akin to watching gameplay of a 90's-era 3D video game in which the physics engine is kind of wonky. I don't have a better way to describe it right now other than that the movement feels wrong. Also, I think the CGI is subpar (I feel this is true for most DCEU movies). So, the movie just doesn't look that great. But the ending is really like few other movies in the genre and it felt good to watch. I'd rather have a moment like that and blah visuals than great visuals and a heartless story.

EDIT: I should say some of the action sequences don't look good. I think there are some decent scenes, especially when it comes to the hand-to-hand stuff, but overall it's just not that spectacular. YMMV.
    I had to laugh at one part of the ending. You hear a lot about superhero films always ending with the big blue sky laser and I was so glad they weren't going there and then right at the end, Lord walks into a big blue beam of light and starts shouting about power and I laughed so hard because they almost pulled it off.

Diana talking down her villain and reforming them felt excellent, though.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    I refuse to believe that it is even close to be as bad as Dark Worlds.
    Which wasn’t bad at all
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    Have you noticed that Iron Man, Ant-Man, and Dr. Strange are practically the same movie? With Marvel you know what you're gonna get because it all fits the assembly line structure.

Because DC and WB take more creative risks, you'll have some winners and losers.
    Black Panther is a remake of the first Thor movie.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

You guys think Patty will stay or go?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    You guys think Patty will stay or go?
    It's really up to her. She said if it gets a theatrical release she's on board.

Extraordinary Member

A lot of those lowest possible scores on RT seem to be from people who gave this as their one and only review ever.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    A lot of those lowest possible scores on RT seem to be from people who gave this as their one and only review ever.
    Welcome to the internet and human pettiness.

I've just heard an interesting theory about Steve - the man whose body got hijacked was actually Steve's reincarnation. That's why he came back as that man specifically, his soul was already in his body before Diana made her wish. I wonder if that's what Patty Jenkins was actually going for.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I've just heard an interesting theory about Steve - the man whose body got hijacked was actually Steve's reincarnation. That's why he came back as that man specifically, his soul was already in his body before Diana made her wish. I wonder if that's what Patty Jenkins was actually going for.
    As if it wasn't complicated enough.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    As if it wasn't complicated enough.
    But it does make more sense than Steve randomly possessing someone else's body for no reason. And makes it slightly less icky. Though it's still a bad and unnecessary plot point of course.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    But it does make more sense than Steve randomly possessing someone else's body for no reason. And makes it slightly less icky. Though it's still a bad and unnecessary plot point of course.
    I think that this movie is so full of awkward and forced moments that such a choice wouldn't make the movie make more sense.
    I have a got a feeling that for a series of reasons - including the generally lukewarm reception, but also because of the specific circumstances the movie was released - we won't hear much of WW1984 in the next years and it will fade into relative obscurity. Whenever people talk about Wonder Woman they will refer to the first movie, which has a lot of flaws but is way less disappointing than this one.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Welcome to the internet and human pettiness.
    I think this is a middle of the road film, an average entertaining movie with a few bright spots. It deserves a rating in the higher 60s-70s range.

But accumulating so many reviews from a lot of no-name reviewers to come to that conclusion seems excessive. As does the amount of reviews we had for the first movie to give it a rating in the 90s. Like who cares what this many people have to say? it might be better for RT to just collect top critics and get a percentage from that.

Retired

I think for Wonder Woman fans it gave us a lot of things we wanted to see her do. So for us it's a more rewarding movie. It's those elements that gave me shivers of goodness. So for us it's a better movie than it might be for others that don't care about that stuff. Also for little kids--especially the early part--I thought a lot of kids, especially little girls, would feel empowered by those bits. Wonder Woman is always relating to kids and supporting them.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    No love for Dick Donner/Chris Reeve? You're killing me, dude! I think I like Batman Returns better than 89, but 89 is rad too. Weird Bat symbol and all.

I'm doing my rewatch tonight but I remember thinking it could have used a lot more of the bombastic neon color (I laughed that they used the aerobic costume twice because 80s) and the soundtrack was surprisingly bereft of 80s hits, repurposed like Blue Monday or otherwise. Hell, I was surprised Blue Monday from the trailer wasn't used, or if they did I totally missed it. I was streaming it on Discord with my girlfriend (who is sick with COVID so it was the only way we could watch together and stay in sync rather than using our individual accounts) so I know I may have missed some of the music. Overall, they didn't abuse the '80s setting too much aside from Steve getting acclimated to the '80s, which is fair considering it's actually the point of the scene.

Even watching it I knew the film wasn't perfect, it has flaws, but it's decidedly more Wonder Woman for this long-time reader than the first movie, which while it spoke very well to Diana as a character, seemed a bit preoccupied with the warrior aspect of her (granted, it's a war movie and that's fair, but the movie was set at war to play up the warrior princess element) whereas here Diana was a more rounded representation of who she is and did an excellent job highlighting that she's a heroic person concerned with the lives of everyone around her, including her foes, and that any loss of life is tragic. The Diana of the first film struck me as someone who is fine killing in war because, well, it's war and if she must, she must. This Diana contrasts that with "save every last person you can if there's the option to do so, let peace reign" which is more Diana than the former... Granted, with enough time the former may well be the new norm, but like with many of DC's characters that just dumbs her down to a very simple, digestible archtype rather than the character who's been developed over 80 years.

Glad to hear Jenkins is getting greenlit for a third movie, though it's probably going to be 4 or so years before we see it given her Star Wars commitments.
    Sorry to hear your girlfriend has covid, man! I hope she's handling it OK? What a year this has been. Hope you guys have a healthy new year.

In terms of Superman, SUPERMAN VS THE MOLE MEN is my favourite Superman movie. I like the '79 flick enough, but it's not a fav ya know? I like BATMAN RETURNS too, but it doesn't feel as tight narratively for me as '89 does. Plus '89 has the best Joker. I rewatched it recently on blu ray and it's so gorgeous. Some of the shots look like paintings.

Xanadu plays when Steve shows back up, but I don't recall Blue Monday anywhere but in the trailers. I would have liked a lot more of that neon pop colour and gaudy sounding music. Some louder choices.

I'm right there with you about this feeling more bold font WONDER WOMAN. I liked the first movie a lot but Ares being the catalyst for WW1, a war that was way complicated, always rubbed me weird. Though I applaud the idea of just making a WW1 superhero movie, that will forever get my respect. Have you seen the '77 Wonder Woman show by chance? I watched the first episode on Max and like it so far. Always down for WW to bash some Axis powers.

I'm a lil sus about all these review bombs and people calling for Patty Jenkins to be removed from Part 3. It feels manufactured, with that hint of sexism. It's like they've never seen a movie that was just "that was fun, now let me move on with my life". I'm really glad WB is moving forward with Jenkins and her 3rd flick. I like her a lot, enough that I might even watch a Star Wars movie when her flick comes out.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 12-28-2020 at 08:23 AM.