Page 158 of 170 FirstFirst ... 58108148154155156157158159160161162168 ... LastLast
Results 2,356 to 2,370 of 2541
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    She should call herself harley instead of Diana, maybe she gets some respect. Its speaks volumes how a hideous character gets more attention than WW by DC.
    In fairness, I find the Harley Quinn animated series HILARIOUS. And it features Dr Psycho.

Harley isn’t hideous, she’s DC’s answer to Deadpool. WW is doing better in the public consciousness than she has in decades, so I prefer to see the glass half full.

She ias also a lead in the Superhero Girls animated series. Again, I love it.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Is it weird I like that ending Max Lord seen even more now? Maybe I'm just in a strange mental place because of the pandemic
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Is it weird I like that ending Max Lord seen even more now? Maybe I'm just in a strange mental place because of the pandemic
    I think there's a certain magic to scenes where a villain finally sees the error in his ways. There are a lot of legit complaints about WW84, but I don't think the ending deserves to get much hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    The ending with Lord is actually closer to the ending I would have preferred they'd done with Ares in the first movie.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    The ending with Lord is actually closer to the ending I would have preferred they'd done with Ares in the first movie.
    I understand that, but I do think it's built up better in this movie. This movie is just as much about the power and utility of the Lasso of Truth as it is about Diana. I also like how the movie subverts expectations for anyone expecting a more "comics accurate" Diana/Lord interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    I understand that, but I do think it's built up better in this movie. This movie is just as much about the power and utility of the Lasso of Truth as it is about Diana. I also like how the movie subverts expectations for anyone expecting a more "comics accurate" Diana/Lord interaction.
    Yeah, that's fair. I knew it was less than likely with Jenkins (and also what happened with Zod in MoS), but was always afraid of the outside chance we'd get the neck snap moment when Max was first confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    I appreciate the HISHE team for not making any Cats jokes with Cheetah, those got old wayyyy before WW84 came out.
    Also they treated Cheetah with more respect than most DC writers...props to them, I was expecting HISHE to make her a chump, but they didn't.

Also all the villains making wishes was hilarious, poor classing Zod wishing for a rematch with Superman because "it's not like he's going to kill me", haha. But Diana using her sword and shield to break the Dreamstone in their "true ending" made no sense. If her lasso, which is made by a god the same way as the Dreamstone was made, is indestructible, than the stone should be indestructible too. I think they even said in the movie the stone couldn't be destroyed.

But that's really just nitpicking.

And with Pedro being cast as Joel in The Last of Us is he just Hollywood's go-to for the "single dad" actor now? That's kinda funny.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 02-13-2021 at 11:35 AM.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

I have a feeling that WW84 will eventually become, if not a cult classic, one of those films that many critics and viewers revist and start to appreciate more than when it first came out. I feel that the movie, as underwhelming for me as it was, had a lot of great things. I also feel that it had several key elements that already has made old-school WW fans prefer it to the first (Lasso instead of sword, Diana flying, the villain seeing the error of his ways instead of being killed/beaten to a pulp, etc). In any case, this films has definitely been divisive, but at least it was not as universally hated as Batman V Superman (I know, I know...super low bar)...

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    I have a feeling that WW84 will eventually become, if not a cult classic, one of those films that many critics and viewers revist and start to appreciate more than when it first came out. I feel that the movie, as underwhelming for me as it was, had a lot of great things. I also feel that it had several key elements that already has made old-school WW fans prefer it to the first (Lasso instead of sword, Diana flying, the villain seeing the error of his ways instead of being killed/beaten to a pulp, etc). In any case, this films has definitely been divisive, but at least it was not as universally hated as Batman V Superman (I know, I know...super low bar)...
    It's possible... but I don't see it happening anytime soon with WW84. BvS had that group of loyal Snyder fans who loved Man of Steel and were already defending his movies like crazy. It's true WW84 is not as disliked as BvS, most casual fans thought it was ok while most casual fans didn't like BvS. But I have yet to see anyone go to the lengths to defend WW84 to the extent some fans will defend BvS (seriously they get way to into analyzing that movie and defending all aspects of it despite being littered with flaws).

Also, the theatrical release of Justice League helped a lot with the growing popularity of BvS because it took those loyal Snyder fans who loved his movies and just flicked them in the nose. Which kickstarted the whole #releasethesnydercut and got casual fans more interested because of all the commotion.

It's always possible this movie could become some kind of cult classic or something that 10 years from now people say "ok, this movie wasn't as terrible as all those loud Youtubers made it out to be." That's kind of what's happening now with the film Jennifer's Body but that movie was a cult classic before more people got on board and said the movie actually isn't terrible.

Regardless, it will be interesting to see how the popularity of this movie plays out in the years to come. The internet is an ever evolving landscape that can wildly change based on one person's opinion becoming popular.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    It's possible... but I don't see it happening anytime soon with WW84. BvS had that group of loyal Snyder fans who loved Man of Steel and were already defending his movies like crazy. It's true WW84 is not as disliked as BvS, most casual fans thought it was ok while most casual fans didn't like BvS. But I have yet to see anyone go to the lengths to defend WW84 to the extent some fans will defend BvS (seriously they get way to into analyzing that movie and defending all aspects of it despite being littered with flaws).

Also, the theatrical release of Justice League helped a lot with the growing popularity of BvS because it took those loyal Snyder fans who loved his movies and just flicked them in the nose. Which kickstarted the whole #releasethesnydercut and got casual fans more interested because of all the commotion.

It's always possible this movie could become some kind of cult classic or something that 10 years from now people say "ok, this movie wasn't as terrible as all those loud Youtubers made it out to be." That's kind of what's happening now with the film Jennifer's Body but that movie was a cult classic before more people got on board and said the movie actually isn't terrible.

Regardless, it will be interesting to see how the popularity of this movie plays out in the years to come. The internet is an ever evolving landscape that can wildly change based on one person's opinion becoming popular.
    Very very good points.
    I also notice the response from 'casuals' every time BvS is mentioned ("yuck") versus WW84 ("meh"), which I think is interesting.

And you know what, I feel that because WW84's overall response from general audiences seems tamer and less hateful than their response to BvS, Wonder Woman 3, if done with care and taking into account the mistakes made for WW84, is in a better position to be embraced by audiences. In other words, I feel that audiences will be more willing to "forgive" WW3 for the sins of WW84, provided of course, that the second sequel is carefully crafted. I will keep my fingers crossed.
    By the way, is there any any third superhero film in a trilogy that became a much bigger financial and critical hit than a badly received part 2 in said trilogy? I don't recall any at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    Very very good points.
    I also notice the response from 'casuals' every time BvS is mentioned ("yuck") versus WW84 ("meh"), which I think is interesting.

And you know what, I feel that because WW84's overall response from general audiences seems tamer and less hateful than their response to BvS, Wonder Woman 3, if done with care and taking into account the mistakes made for WW84, is in a better position to be embraced by audiences. In other words, I feel that audiences will be more willing to "forgive" WW3 for the sins of WW84, provided of course, that the second sequel is carefully crafted. I will keep my fingers crossed.
    By the way, is there any any third superhero film in a trilogy that became a much bigger financial and critical hit than a badly received part 2 in said trilogy? I don't recall any at the moment.
    Avengers: Infinity War Although that's kind of a wishy-washy response because it's not a trilogy But I though it was better than all the other Avengers movies.

I have more hope for the 3rd instalment of WW than I do for most other trilogies.

First movie, Patty wanted to make hero origin/war movie. I know she didn't write the script but she had influenced it. All the Donner Superman references, Etta Candy, the tone of the movie, all her. (Remember it was Patty that convicted WB to not do the version Snyder was going to go with. Which was Diana carrying around the lopped-off heads of warlords and being much more withdrawn and cynical).

Second movie, Patty wanted to make a campy 80's superhero movie and that's exactly what she made in WW84. She knew the tonal whiplash would cause problems, that's why she went so far as to say "this isn't a sequel to the first movie" years before WW84 came out. I know that's not really an excuse for the confusing plot elements, but the point is she wanted a full on 80's flick and that's exactly what WW84 is.

I don't know what she's planning for the 3rd movie, but she already confirmed it will be a modern superhero movie with a modern tone. So I'm guessing we will be seeing a movie with the tone similar to the first one (more gritty) but with the Diana of the second movie (not naïve, very street smart) and action scenes closer to what modern day superhero movies have.

Also it seems like almost all trilogies with a bad 3rd film are ruined because of a change of directors or heavy studio interference. Wonder Woman isn't doing the former since Patty is staying and WB seems to be much more laid back with Patty than most studio companies, so I don't think they will interfere much on the 3rd one either.

I also want to point out a comment to the complaint about the movie that "What if someone had wished for world peace or just anything good?"

The comment said, "If someone wished for world peace, we’d probably end up with a ruthless world dictatorship that took away everyone’s rights."

Perfect counter argument right there. Idk why most audiences are thinking the Dreamstone works like Genie in Aladin. It was literally made buy a god called The Duke of Deception and caused the collapse of civilizations. It's an evil stone designed to trick people, why would something good ever come out of it? It's probably the biggest complaint in the movie but people completely ignore that it's an evil rock that's constantly compared to the Monkey's Paw in the film itself.

You wish you're Mom didn't have cancer? Ok, well now she just died because the tumor in her brain disappeared and she had a hemorrhage. The whole point is what you wish for is worse than what you had before.

Thor Ragnarok was a third installment that was vastly superior to its immediate predecessor.

Dark World
    66% Rotten Tomatometer
    75% RT Audience Score
    $206M Domestic Gross

Ragnarok
    93% Tomatometer
    87% RT Audience Score
    $315M Domestic Gross (that's better than 50% improvement)

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Thor Ragnarok was a third installment that was vastly superior to its immediate predecessor.

Dark World
    66% Rotten Tomatometer
    75% RT Audience Score
    $206M Domestic Gross

Ragnarok
    93% Tomatometer
    87% RT Audience Score
    $315M Domestic Gross (that's better than 50% improvement)
    It also have a different director that soft rebooted Thor from drama to Buddy comedy