Page 56 of 170 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156 ... LastLast
    BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

This whole "OMG, they have not made her fly or be really strong in the movies, and it is boring" is such an odd argument. The first solo film had the best box office multiplier for a superhero comic since the first Spiderman in 2000. Week after week, the film had minuscule week-to-week box office decreases, which reiterated what everyone knows: the word of mouth was phenomenal; audiences loved what they saw. Clearly, they did not mind that Diana did not fly or that she did not move a planet with her pinky. What everyone loved (including movie reviewers) was that Wonder Woman was the rare superhero film with solid characterization and potent chemistry in their leads, and that it was a story that made its characters and conflict vivid and emotionally resonant. I would much rather have that again than an emotionally inert sequel that sacrifices character for feats of strength and fanwank service. Ideally, it would have both, but if they give me an emotionally powerful sequel that has strong character development, I will be fine.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    This whole "OMG, they have not made her fly or be really strong in the movies, and it is boring" is such an odd argument. The first solo film had the best box office multiplier for a superhero comic since the first Spiderman in 2000. Week after week, the film had minuscule week-to-week box office decreases, which reiterated what everyone knows: the word of mouth was phenomenal; audiences loved what they saw. Clearly, they did not mind that Diana did not fly or that she did not move a planet with her pinky. What everyone loved (including movie reviewers) was that Wonder Woman was the rare superhero film with solid characterization and potent chemistry in their leads, and that it was a story that made its characters and conflict vivid and emotionally resonant. I would much rather have that again than an emotionally inert sequel that sacrifices character for feats of strength and fanwank service. Ideally, it would have both, but if they give me an emotionally powerful sequel that has strong character development, I will be fine.
    She is called Wonder Woman not Black Widow. She is a God in movie version. Feats are part of her character.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

So it is one or the other in your mind. It is either a great emotional character driven movie with little to no feats because it doesn't matter, or a CGI fueled fest showing off the crazy cool things she should be able to do without good character moments.

I will take both, and if the director/writer can't seem to do that, then we come again to the disrespect that our Superhero routinely gets.

I understand what you're saying, but, like BiteTheBullet, I don't find the two things to be mutually exclusive.

The highlight of BvS for a lot of folks, for example, was Wonder Woman's appearance. She had personality and skill *and* kicked some serious butt

I love the original movie, but I am troubled by the imbalance between Superman/Aquaman and Wonder Woman. When it comes to the male heroes, they tend to get additional/more power than before (re: 'look, Cyborg can now fly!). Look at the very first Superman movie where he gained the ability to turn back time, and Aquaman's strength and invulnerability have been seriously boosted for the film. Besides the 'lifting a submarine', he dove out of a plane without a chute into a desert without a scratch on him, and he's now rocket-proof in addition to bulletproof.

Overall, though, the point is that story/characterization and feats/power level can work along side of each other. Diana's character in the first movie wouldn't have suffered if, when she unlocks her full potential at the end of the film, she, like Ares, could fly. If anything, it would make sense since she's his sister and has just unlocked her full godlike powers. Nor would it had suffered if, for example, she had grabbed a tank with one hand and flung it at Ares during the fight.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

From CCXP2019:

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I know this better not be her final form.....
    Richard Alexander

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by richalex View Post
    I know this better not be her final form.....
    From some of the early reactions, I don't think it will be.
    I think we're going to be getting something like Liam Sharp's as her final form.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think we're going to be getting something like Liam Sharp's as her final form.
    Lol. As long as it looks scary. And not scary like the Cats movie. ��
    Richard Alexander

Spectacular Member

It looks like combined the pre and post crisis.
    I'm okay with it

Quote Originally Posted by richalex View Post
    Lol. As long as it looks scary. And not scary like the Cats movie. ��
    Honestly what I’ve seen of that Cats movie almost makes me ok with that pic being her final form. Yikes.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I'm ok with this being Cheetah's appearance as long as she has powers on par with Diana to make her a credible physical threat.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

It sounds like she will start out this way and transform in the climax. Like her powers seen beneficial at first and then the catch kicks in.

It seems like a nod to Priscilla Rich/Deborah Domaine before transforming into the current beast form Barbara Minerva is known for.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

It sounds like she will start out this way and transform in the climax. Like her powers seen beneficial at first and then the catch kicks in.

It seems like a nod to Priscilla Rich/Deborah Domaine before transforming into the current beast form Barbara Minerva is known for.
    I like that idea. A lot.
    Maybe she will start with enhanced abilities that make her feel alive and powerful, but it slowly takes its toll on her until it turns her into a more beast-like were creature towards the end. I certainly don't mind that, especially because I feel that the film still has not revealed who the true villain will be (and no, I don't believe Maxwell Lord will be the main baddie either).

Anyway, has anyone seen the just released second trailer for the live-action Disney Mulan? It looks phenomenal!!!
    Jeesus, 2020 will be the year of the female-led blockbuster. I can totally see Birds of Prey, Black Widow, Wonder Woman1984 and Mulan all ending up in the global top ten grossing films for 2020.

I'm surprised they're going with a more Priscilla Rich-esque "she just wears Cheetah clothes" instead of the actual Barbara Minerva look.

But I also suspect this is not her final form.