Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Default Marvel Two in One Annual #1 WITH SPOILERS

Since there's a lot to discuss about this annual, I thought I'd start a separate thread with a spoiler warning.

Briefly, it's very Doom-centric and it's worth noting a few quotes from an interview: Chip Zdarsky goes inside Doctor Doom's mind

Nrama: One of the big questions asked in this annual and your 2-In-One run so far has been about Doom’s motivations and the dichotomy of his hatred for Richards versus his growing altruism. Now that Doom no longer wants to be a god, what does he want?

Zdarsky: He’s redefining himself as he goes, it’s all part of the process. This Annual and issue seven of our main series precede Invincible Iron Man #600, and I think Brian Michael Bendis and I have been trying to evolve what his goals are, and whether or not they’re worth the pain that goes along with playing the “hero.” All of it leads into the new Fantastic Four series, and where Dan goes with the character. A lot of the fun of this book has been finding out Dan’s FF plans and helping to tee up certain aspects of it.

As expected, what Zdarsky and Bendis have been doing in their recent books depends somewhat on what Slott's plans are. What I find a bit strange is not only did Reed do a soft erase some of Doom's memories about their final fight but he chooses to leave Ben and Johnny in the dark about his whereabouts and that of the kids and Sue. Does Reed actually think this is going to end up well?
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-14-2018 at 09:11 AM.

This was pretty good.

The reintroduction of the Council is both concerning and comforting since it's a different scenario. It also lets us know the Four are really still out there, and I wonder how that'll weigh on the Thing when he feels he gave up too soon.

Also, Doom will always be Doom. It was great to see how easily he slid right back into some of his old mannerisms around even an alternate Reed.

I sure hope semi-dead Reed finds a way back. Though with the Four gone he might want to stay in the new Council-chamber anyway. It's not like he has a Doom to go back to.

Got a lot more to say, but I'm lazy. :P

Astonishing Member

I just realized that this Annual and Issue Seven will be the final times that the readers will see the 'Unscarred' Doom; prior to August's debut of FANTASTIC FOUR #1.

BANNED

Just as the main series has been, this was an enjoyable issue.

It's definitely, as D'Zarsky says, doing some work ahead of Slott's FF and helping him get Doom to where Slott needs him to be. But it was well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Since there's a lot to discuss about this annual, I thought I'd start a separate thread with a spoiler warning.

Briefly, it's very Doom-centric and it's worth noting a few quotes from an interview: Chip Zdarsky goes inside Doctor Doom's mind

As expected, what Zdarsky and Bendis have been doing in their recent books depends somewhat on what Slott's plans are. What I find a bit strange is not only did Reed do a soft erase some of Doom's memories about their final fight but he chooses to leave Ben and Johnny in the dark about his whereabouts and that of the kids and Sue. Does Reed actually think this is going to end up well?
    Reed mind wiping Doom definately leaves an opening for things to go very sideways between when when the truth comes out.

Basically Reed set things up for them to return to status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Reed mind wiping Doom definately leaves an opening for things to go very sideways between when when the truth comes out.

Basically Reed set things up for them to return to status quo.
    Reed does come off a bit patronizing in this issue in how he used Victor, Ben and Johnny, esp the latter two. They have no idea that he's still alive and that Reed expected them to hold Victor in check and help him reform. Ben mostly wanted to clobber him during Infamous Iron.

The imagery of fallen God Emperor Doom being tied to a rock, like Prometheus and perhaps Reed standing in for Zeus is pretty clever, as if to imply that Reed should have had the power that Doom "stole" from the Beyonders. And Reed does admit that he missed Victor, probably the only person he ever feels provides a challenge.

BTW, artist Declan Shalvey hid a "nod to John Byrne" in this issue and he gave away a free signed comic. It's pretty well hidden and I didn't spot it. There's also a nod to Walt Simonson's Fantastic Four but that one is a lot more obvious.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-14-2018 at 11:50 AM.

I'm glad that Reed finally gave up on Doom. I can finally take the character seriously. I should point out that this is a ripoff of a Magneto story.

This book continues to be an absolute gem! I can’t believe that this is the same writer that writes Peter Parker The Spectacular Spider-Man. Chip is on fire with this book.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I'm glad that Reed finally gave up on Doom. I can finally take the character seriously. I should point out that this is a ripoff of a Magneto story.
    Somehow I doubt that.

Somehow I doubt that.
    Charles Xavier and Moira Mactaggert altered Magneto's memories in an attempt to make him a better person. He reacted similarly to Doom.

Charles Xavier and Moira Mactaggert altered Magneto's memories in an attempt to make him a better person. He reacted similarly to Doom.
    I suppose it would be except we know Reed's ploy was only going to last as long as they stayed away from Earth.

Reed's solution was a band aid at best and Victor was bound to resent being manipulated. If Ben and Johnny were supposed to facilitate then they sure didn't know they were expected to. It's more like he's keeping them out of trouble then the other way around.

I hope there's more explanation as to why Ben and Johnny also had to believe Reed, Sue, and the kids were dead. Was it just to reinforce the lie so Doom could reform? That's incredibly cruel to Ben and Johnny. At the very least, there should be some on-panel scene to them consenting to have their memories altered like Doom's. Otherwise, they should have just gone along on the multiversal adventure instead of being left behind.

I suppose it would be except we know Reed's ploy was only going to last as long as they stayed away from Earth.
    this genetic/mental tampering preceded Xavier being "dead" and Magneto taking over his school (took the last name 'Xavier' as well). Magneto felt it was his responsibility to fill Xavier's void. but the rage and his memories returned due to the use of his mutant powers; leading to a return to villainy.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 06-14-2018 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    I hope there's more explanation as to why Ben and Johnny also had to believe Reed, Sue, and the kids were dead. Was it just to reinforce the lie so Doom could reform? That's incredibly cruel to Ben and Johnny. At the very least, there should be some on-panel scene to them consenting to have their memories altered like Doom's. Otherwise, they should have just gone along on the multiversal adventure instead of being left behind.
    Johnny doesn't believe that they are dead. and Ben didn't think it either until just before this story, right? from Ben's perspective, he's leading Johnny on a wild goose chase. that's pretty cruel.

Johnny doesn't believe that they are dead. and Ben didn't think it either until just before this story, right? from Ben's perspective, he's leading Johnny on a wild goose chase. that's pretty cruel.
    Ben thought they were dead. Remember Ben told Johnny that he thought he talked to Reed in Infamous Iron Man. But it was Mephisto disguised as the Maker, which when you think about it really doesn't make sense. If Mephisto's intention was to deceive Ben and freak out Victor, why not impersonate Reed?
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-14-2018 at 02:01 PM.