Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Ben thought they were dead. Remember Ben told Johnny that he thought he talked to Reed in Infamous Iron Man. But it was Mephisto disguised as the Maker, which when you think about it really doesn't make sense. If Mephisto's intention was to deceive Ben and freak out Victor, why not impersonate Reed?
    the intention was to deceive the readers. heck, Maleev might have just been given the wrong reference material. I wouldn't overthink it. Bendis.

Really great issue. Really enjoyed that it was focused on Doom. I have enjoyed this series as much as I enjoyed the original MTIO. I hope it keeps going after the new FF comic comes back.

The whole Hickman concept and mission statement of the Council of Reeds was problematic from out of the gate. It was not fleshed out well enough. If it was a plot device all along just to kill off all the Reed's in a dramatic plotline twist then it worked (debatably) fine in that vein. But now, after Universe 7 is done and Universe 8 has begun the Council of Reeds is back again and already? That just feels like more of the same hot mess. And now -or unrevealed before- we learn like any video game all the Reed's have an extra bonus life? And if Reed loves Sue that much why not have a Backup of Sues? Reed 616 is responsible for recreating this pack of godlings with Molecule Man + Franklin's power? When people ask: Who watches the Watchers - would the answer be the CoR? When the FF return, the chances for reading drama of major threats will feel unconvincing if Reed 616 can just speed dial the CoR to fix everything, eh? Killing all the Dooms will be equally problematic storywise afterall how long was it before writers overturned the elimination of the Council of Kangs.

Reed rationalizing his mindwipe of Doom and Ben and Johnny is just another can of putrid worms. At least with the resolution of this ish, Slott has a legitimate, organic development to have Vic come to believe his whole post-Secret Wars altruism was a waste of time - if that return to an iconic dynamic with Reed his planned direction. Damn Parker Robbins for facilitating Vic's inevitable(?) breakdown by adding a physical element to Reed's mental scarring of him.

This issue was kerfuffling. The lackluster art did not help.

Last edited by Bookem Danno; 06-14-2018 at 04:24 PM. Reason: pic added

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bookem Danno View Post
    The whole Hickman concept and mission statement of the Council of Reeds was problematic from out of the gate. It was not fleshed out well enough. If it was a plot device all along just to kill off all the Reed's in a dramatic plotline twist then it worked (debatably) fine in that vein. But now, after Universe 7 is done and Universe 8 has begun the Council of Reeds is back again and already? That just feels like more of the same hot mess. And now -or unrevealed before- we learn like any video game all the Reed's have an extra bonus life? And if Reed loves Sue that much why not have a Backup of Sues? Reed 616 is responsible for recreating this pack of godlings with Molecule Man + Franklin's power? When people ask: Who watches the Watchers - would the answer be the CoR? When the FF return, the chances for reading drama of major threats will feel unconvincing if Reed 616 can just speed dial the CoR to fix everything, eh? Killing all the Dooms will be equally problematic storywise afterall how long was it before writers overturned the elimination of the Council of Kangs.

Reed rationalizing his mindwipe of Doom and Ben and Johnny is just another can of putrid worms. At least with the resolution of this ish, Slott has a legitimate, organic development to have Vic come to believe his whole post-Secret Wars altruism was a waste of time - if that return to an iconic dynamic with Reed his planned direction. Damn Parker Robbins for facilitating Vic's inevitable(?) breakdown by adding a physical element to Reed's mental scarring of him.

This issue was kerfuffling. The lackluster art did not help.
    If anything, the one good thing about this. Since this issue and the next MTIO #7 takes place before Iron Man #600, it shows that Doom maintained the course and went out a hero, thwarting the Demon Hood's attempt to possess Stark in spite of it all.

he endangered Stark, in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    he endangered Stark, in the first place.
    That's a stretch worthy of Mr Fantastic

I wasn't too happy with this annual, and I'm not sure if it's personally or objectively dissatisfying at this point. I suppose it's tied to my wariness of where Doom's arc is going. I really don't want everything to simply be reset. And this annual only continues to undermine what had been established in Secret Wars rather than building from it. Post-Secret Wars my imagination went wild as to where the universe would be heading, especially as far as Doom and the FF are concerned. It's one of those times I'm reminded that comics are a business and maintaining a status quo and continuing to produce stories endlessly is the most important thing.

I also agree with the general consensus that the art was lacking. And I feel like nothing really happened in this story, where as the last MTIO was epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Coulson View Post
    I wasn't too happy with this annual, and I'm not sure if it's personally or objectively dissatisfying at this point. I suppose it's tied to my wariness of where Doom's arc is going. I really don't want everything to simply be reset. And this annual only continues to undermine what had been established in Secret Wars rather than building from it. Post-Secret Wars my imagination went wild as to where the universe would be heading, especially as far as Doom and the FF are concerned. It's one of those times I'm reminded that comics are a business and maintaining a status quo and continuing to produce stories endlessly is the most important thing.

I also agree with the general consensus that the art was lacking. And I feel like nothing really happened in this story, where as the last MTIO was epic.
    My concern also is just how much of a reset this will be. I do complain about Bendis's handling of things but I have to give credit where it is do. He did try to establish a new status quo and to some extent he succeeded...if you take the Hood out of the equation. But at least this time there is no reason to link Reed to the Hood messing up Doom's face again. That is another thing that is missing IMO. I think Victor always suspected that it was Reed that repaired his face. Only the powers that were transferred to Reed could do that. I think they should have worked a scene in there were there was some kind of begrudging scene of gratitude over that.

The description of Fantastic Four #1 mentions "A clarion call-to-arms that summons Doctor Doom! "....one of the things that came to mind was since we have a new Council of Reeds, could we see a new Parliament of Dooms? I just hope it does lead to a Doom having repeated grudge matches against the FF.

Spectacular Member

I'm thinking that this just sets up Reed to be the villain who messed with Doom's mind. Not only that, it made Doom out to be a petty villain who's only motivation in life was to destroy everything related to Reed.

I think it makes them both kind despicable in their own way.

BTW, artist Declan Shalvey hid a "nod to John Byrne" in this issue and he gave away a free signed comic. It's pretty well hidden and I didn't spot it. There's also a nod to Walt Simonson's Fantastic Four but that one is a lot more obvious.
    What were these events?

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Reed mind wiping Doom definately leaves an opening for things to go very sideways between when when the truth comes out.

Basically Reed set things up for them to return to status quo.
    I wasn't aware that Reed mindwiped Doom. That never works out.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by md62 View Post
    What were these events?
    Not so much events put visual clues. The one that one that prize was pretty obscure and Shalvey posted it on his Twitter.

The other is that the AU Doom's mask and armor looks like one that Walt Simonson did

That's a stretch worthy of Mr Fantastic
    That's denial worthy of Rama-Tut. The Hood and Stark have no connection. Hood showed up at Stark's company because Doom was running around using the iron man identity. He had to deal with the Hood because of his war on the criminal community as iron man.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    That's denial worthy of Rama-Tut. The Hood and Stark have no connection. Hood showed up at Stark's company because Doom was running around using the iron man identity. He had to deal with the Hood because of his war on the criminal community as iron man.
    Be serious. In the MU, you'd have to be blithering idiot not to have heard of Stark's wealth without even factoring in Doom. Dumb on him if he hadn't thought of shaking the company down before when it was just the Rocker Mom running it. Besides, the Hood said he was a stockholder.

Be serious. In the MU, you'd have to be blithering idiot not to have heard of Stark's wealth without even factoring in Doom. Dumb on him if he hadn't thought of shaking the company down before when it was just the Rocker Mom running it. Besides, the Hood said he was a stockholder.
    O my god! You're so right.... Smh...
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !