Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Manu Ginobli has now officially retired, marking the end to an era of Spurs basketball
    Stone-cold lock as a first-ballot Basketball Hall of Famer.

More than ever, I'm certain that Pop is definitely gone from San Antonio by summer 2020. And I'm a little more certain that Becky Hammon will be his designated heir by then as well.

Manu Ginobli has now officially retired, marking the end to an era of Spurs basketball
    That era ended when Kawhi forced his way out of San Antonio. The things that have been happening after that---Tony Parker signing with Charlotte and Manu retiring---are just responses to the franchise destroying move that Kawhi made, just further eroding what has been a great, well-run, highly competitive NBA franchise for the past 20 years.

I'd say the end started when Duncan left, this just caps the end of the end

I'd say the end started when Duncan left, this just caps the end of the end
    One could agrue that, but the way I see it, Duncan had to leave eventually. He had been on the team longer than anyone. They still were championship competitive when they decided to build around Kawhi, but Kawhi went an screwed the whole thing up out of the blue.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 09-04-2018 at 09:44 AM.

Welp, the Class of 2018 Hall of Fame came and went a little while back. Belated congrats to all the new inductees, esp Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, Ray Allen, and Grant Hill.

All deserving, IMHO.

Glad they recently cut the mandatory wait time for eligibility from 5 years down to 3 years.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Welp, the Class of 2018 Hall of Fame came and went a little while back. Belated congrats to all the new inductees, esp Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, Ray Allen, and Grant Hill.

All deserving, IMHO.

Glad they recently cut the mandatory wait time for eligibility from 5 years down to 3 years.

I'm shocked they actually inducted players ? I always heard a joke the NBA Hall of Fame had more coaches and non-players in it a few years back comically.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

From a feature called 20 People Around the NBA Facing Make or Break Seasons. I found these two interesting. and both involved Lakers:

Luke Walton
    Luke Walton is no longer part of a rebuild, as he's now coaching the league's top asset. All is fine and dandy with the Los Angeles Lakers in the first half of October. What happens when the inevitable drama and in-game glares from the sport's biggest personality begin? This is unquestionably the biggest challenge in the young career of a 38-year-old who was never hired to take on this type of responsibility in the first place.
    This reminds me of several years ago when mostly unknown David Blatt was brought in from Europe by Cleveland to take charge of what was supposed to have been a rebuild, only to see that plan thrown in the trash when Lebron decided to come home. Sure, the Cavs predictably improved by leaps and bounds and made the playoffs, but Blatt didn't fully get the job done and wound up dismissed. Could the same happen with Walton? With expectations in L.A. suddenly greater than perhaps they should, I'd say that's more than likely.

Lonzo Ball
    When will we see the first Lonzo Ball trade rumors of the LeBron James-Los Angeles Lakers marriage? Before Christmas? In late January? Next summer? They're coming, especially if the second-year guard underwhelms and/or a certain member of his family annoys the current King of Los Angeles in any way.
    The clock is already ticking on Lonzo's inevitable departure from L.A., and everyone knows it. Anyone who thinks this Lonzo-Lebron pairing will last even one season is delusional. It's not a question of IF Lonzo's sent out of town on the first thing smoking, but WHEN.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

This was some sad news to read this morning - Tex Winter dies at 96.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Lonzo Ball's new shooting motion looks less offensive

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The clock is already ticking on Lonzo's inevitable departure from L.A., and everyone knows it. Anyone who thinks this Lonzo-Lebron pairing will last even one season is delusional. It's not a question of IF Lonzo's sent out of town on the first thing smoking, but WHEN.
    Yah, when the Lakers picked up Rondo, then I was sure of it. When is probably a matter of Londo's dad opening his big mouth again about touches or LeBron not feeding Lonzo the ball or some shite.

But who wants Lonzo? He's got decent ball movement skills and has a weird knack for getting steals. But is mediocre in most categories.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

rumor was Lonzo had his surgery specifically to make it harder to move him during the off season

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Lonzo Ball's new shooting motion looks less offensive
    Maybe he went to the same shot doctor Markelle Fultz of the Sixers employed.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Alright, this year's off-season is almost up. And we haven't done our annual legacy discussion.

So, without further ado, here is my 2018 edition of

The Top 20 Basketball Players Of All Time

Reminder: I go by a "greatness matrix", which includes such factors as personal stats, contribution to team success, "coachability", "teammate-ability", clutchness, and influence, among others. Here we go:

20. Dwyane Wade: greatest Heat player ever, #4 shooting guard of all time

19. Kevin Garnett: greatest Timberwolf player ever, #3 power forward of all time

18. Isiah Thomas: greatest Piston player ever, greatest pure point guard of all time

17. Steph Curry: greatest Warrior player ever, greatest pure shooter of all time

16. Dirk Nowitzki: greatest Maverick player ever, #2 power forward of all time

15. Moses Malone: greatest offensive rebounder of all time, #6 greatest center of all time

14. Julius Erving: greatest ABA player ever, #3 small forward of all time

13. Jerry West: #3 shooting guard of all time

12. Oscar Robertson: #2 greatest point guard of all time

11. Hakeem Olajuwon: greatest Rocket player of all time, most athletic post player ever

10. Shaquille O'Neal: most explosive post player ever, #4 center of all time

09. Kobe Bryant: #2 shooting guard of all time

08. Wilt Chamberlain: greatest Sixers player ever, greatest pure center ever

07. Tim Duncan: greatest Spurs player ever, #1 power forward of all time

06. Larry Bird: #2 small forward of all time

05. Magic Johnson: greatest Laker player ever, #1 point guard of all time, most versatile offensive player ever

04. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: greatest Buck player ever, greatest offensive player ever, most durable ever

03. LeBron James: greatest Cavalier player ever, most complete player ever

02. Bill Russell: greatest Celtic player ever, greatest defensive player ever, greatest winner ever

01. Michael Jordan: greatest Bull player ever, greatest basketball player of all time, most competitive player ever

And just for funsies:

00. James Naismith: the creator of the sport always gets the mythical 0th spot.

I'll make one bold prediction here: if LeBron James manages to lead the Los Angeles Lakers to a single NBA championship in any of the next four years of his new contract, he will leapfrog both Bill Russell and even Michael Jordan in my book as the new GOAT.

It would be a testament for sure. That said, I don't see him making the Finals again, at least not in the West with the Lakers. I think it'll be a struggle for them to even make the WCF, even when he pairs up with a second star. I mean, maybe he leaves the West again four years from now, but who knows if by then he's not in decline and unable to carry a team all by himself anymore.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-13-2018 at 02:18 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El