Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Well, even I didn't predict this would happen so fast: Dwight Howard was a New Jersey Net for less than 48 hours. He's been bought out, and is now an unrestricted free agent. He wants to sign with a contender that won't try to change who he is.

As much as I'd like to scoff at this ... If he is willing to swallow his pride and take the veteran's minimum, could be not still help out a contender or team on the rise?

That's a HUGE "if", of course.

But let's give him the undeserved benefit of the doubt here. Dude is still an athletic beast who averaged a double-double even in his 14th year in the League.

I know he is widely disliked by many players in the Association due to his attitude, but, man, if even the lowly Nets don't want your ass, you HAVE to make some changes, right?

Could the Cavs or the Spurs use him?

So, did anyone actually watch the 2018 NBA Awards show last night?

I sure didn't.

I don't get the reasoning behind having these award shows (NHL is guilty here too) only after the conclusion of the post - season, when the post - season is a complete non - factor in regular season award voting.

Was any hoops fan surprised that James Harden won League MVP? No, of course not. It was common knowledge or at least widely presumed even at the end of the regular season.

My solution: ditch these award shows altogether and just announce the results right before the playoffs begin.

This feels like the opposite of anticipation.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post

I sure didn't.

I don't get the reasoning behind having these award shows (NHL is guilty here too) only after the conclusion of the post - season, when the post - season is a complete non - factor in regular season award voting.

Was any hoops fan surprised that James Harden won League MVP? No, of course not. It was common knowledge or at least widely presumed even at the end of the regular season.

My solution: ditch these award shows altogether and just announce the results right before the playoffs begin.

Nahhhh! I was catching up on anime last night. The only award that mattered any to me was Ben Simmons of the Sixers winning Rookie of the Year.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

The problem is the playoff results made all the winners look bad. Casey got fired, Harden couldn’t come up clutch, Tatum looked like a more promising rookie than Simmons. They should either include the playoffs or change the date. Because nobody came out of this looking all that great.

Except Bill Russell who solidified his GOAT status

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    The problem is the playoff results made all the winners look bad. Casey got fired, Harden couldn’t come up clutch, Tatum looked like a more promising rookie than Simmons. They should either include the playoffs or change the date. Because nobody came out of this looking all that great.

Except Bill Russell who solidified his GOAT status
    Agreed with the leading paragraph.

Please tell me more about the bolded. Did something happen at the Awards show? Did Russell say or do anything? Or were you just giving a general opinion, not based on anything Russell did recently?

Huge Bill Russell fan here, btw.

Extraordinary Member

Agreed with the leading paragraph.

Please tell me more about the bolded. Did something happen at the Awards show? Did Russell say or do anything? Or were you just giving a general opinion, not based on anything Russell did recently?

Huge Bill Russell fan here, btw.
    I won’t ruin it for you. Look up “Bill Russell, Charles Barkley”

I watched part of the awards show, only thing I really cared about was the segment for Mutombo which was amazing and more than well deserved

Clippers have traded Austin Rivers to Washington for Marcin Gortat. Not surprised about either as Gortat seemed to burn some bridges last year by taking shots at Wall, where Rivers had said he wanted to explore free agency and the Clippers have a center if Deandre Jordan decides to leave or is traded
    Last edited by Hiromi; 06-26-2018 at 06:55 PM.

Fantastic Member

I sure didn't.

I watched a bit. It was dreadful, but at least Harden provided me with my Halloween costume.

I agree that the show is incredibly anticlimactic. And I hate to be a 'never change' guy, but this really seems like a bad idea. The league tried it, it didn't work, so now either revise it, or go back to how it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I won’t ruin it for you. Look up “Bill Russell, Charles Barkley”
    Ah ha! Thank you! Found it. Also saw it on the news (well, ESPN anyway).

Loved it. Glad he explained it, even tho he didn't need to.

Glad even though we've made it to 2018, and Bill Russell is still unforgettable in the present tense.

Magic Johnson says he might resign if Lakers fail to land any major free agents:

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/06/2...-remake-roster

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Magic Johnson says he might resign if Lakers fail to land any major free agents:

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/06/2...-remake-roster
    Meh, now if he had said "MUST" instead of "MIGHT", then the stakes are high. If he whiffs on all 3 potential Superstar targets (LeBron, PG-13, and Kawhi), well, he's Magic Johnson of the Los Angeles Lakers: he has a huge amount of immunity with Jeannie Buss. If he whiffs on all 3 and they are lottery team the following year, THEN he MIGHT be in a little hot water with ownership.

EDIT: Whoops, actually read the article. He's serious: "Like I told you when I took the job, it's going to be a two-summer thing for the Lakers," Johnson said. "This summer, and next summer, and that's it. And if I can't deliver, I'm going to step down myself. She won't have to fire me. I'll step away from it. Because then, I can't do this job. But so far, so good." OK, stakes are high.

Meanwhile, in low-key might-be-significant-down-the-road news:

Becky Hammon has just been promoted by the Spurs to ... "front-row assistant coach"

I gotta be honest here, I had no idea that "front row assistant coach" was considered an actual promotion in coaching circles. Or is this just a Spurs thing?

Currently, Becky Hammon is the #3 on Pop's Assistant Coach hierarchy, after Ettore Messina and Ime Udoka. I fully expect Messina to land a head coaching gig elsewhere in the league after this upcoming season. Udoka, if not next season, then definitely the season after, probably with another team. At that time, I more and more expect that Becky Hammon will take over as Head Coach of the San Antonio Spurs in the 2020 off-season.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 06-27-2018 at 07:17 PM.

"Front row assistant coach" sounds like a meaningless made-up title given to mimic a promotion but not create any of the usual waves that go along with the usual promotions
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Considering the position she's filling was last held by a guy who just got a head coaching job I'd think it's a significant promotion, probably has a more active role during games since she now sits beside Pops, maybe she's higher on the list to fill in if Pops isn't there or gets tossed from a game as well
    Last edited by Hiromi; 06-28-2018 at 10:50 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Considering the position she's filling was last held by a guy who just got a head coaching job I'd think it's a significant promotion, probably has a more active role during games since she now sits beside Pops, maybe she's higher on the list to fill in if Pops isn't there or gets tossed from a game as well
    This.

Teams can have 10 coaches, most who sit in the back row. Sitting in the front row is a huge step. It's like being an offensive/defensive coordinator in football. Just like how Red Auerbach made the decision in 1966 that a black man was going to be his successor, it will take someone like Pop to designate a woman as head coach. Becky doesn't yet have the chops for the head role, but this move puts her literally and figuratively in the front row.

Well, it's official, boys and girls: According to Bleacher Report, Lebron has opted out and is now a free agent. Let the courting season begin (at 12:01 a.m. Sunday)!