Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

Default best superhero video games

With Spider-Man for PS4 nearly here it got me thinking about my favorite Superhero games. What would you say are the best superhero/comic book based video games of all time?

Mighty Member

Every once in a while, someone asks what the best superhero video games are and I always go back to X-Men Legends. That game was a love letter to X-Men fans.

1) It featured so many iconic and fan favorite X-Men characters, that even if some of your favorites weren't featured (for example, Kitty Pryde), you were still satisfied.

2) The story is amazing. Basically, the entire game plays on a sprawling storyline that easily could have been an amazing 2 year run in the comics as the X-Men fight many of their memorable enemies over their history.

3) Danger Room sessions and exploring the X-Mansion. Seriously. How cool were both of these features? To be able to walk into any member's room, explore, and learn little tidbits of information that only hardcore X-Men fans know, it's undeniably awesome. Plus, the Danger Room sessions allowed players to experience scenarios referencing some of the classic X-Men stories (for example, the first appearance of the Juggernaut).

4) The X-Men fight like they would in the comics. Rogue can fly and divebomb enemies. Colossus can pick up Wolverine and do a fastball special. The strong characters can lift things like cars and snowmobiles, and smack enemies with them or throw them. The elemental characters can destroy environments and mobs very quickly.

5) You can play alone or with friends easily. How great is it to play a game where a friend can drop in or out without making everyone restart a level? Friend wants to join, he just picks up a controller, picks a character, and the mayhem resumes. If said friend has to go suddenly, the computer takes over no problem. This was an amazing feature.

There are flaws with the game: The mansion exploration, many of the danger room sessions, and some of the gameplay itself is single player (which, while awesome to hardcore X-Men fans, would damper a good multiplayer session). Also, some of the voice actors are atrocious.

However, the overall product was just a thing of beauty for X-Men fans. To be able to control your heroes and participate in what feels like an epic comic book run was an amazing experience that no other superhero game has managed to replicate at this time. I love this game.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by comicstar100 View Post
    With Spider-Man for PS4 nearly here it got me thinking about my favorite Superhero games. What would you say are the best superhero/comic book based video games of all time?
    There aren't that many really good ones.
    The first three Arkham games come to mind (but definitely NOT Arkham Knight). Injustice too, the first one anyway, before it became a lootbox jackpot.

And hen there's a lot of mediocre to okay games that get lifted to the next level because [your favourite character here] is in it.

I really liked the Punisher game that was on... PS2 and Xbox 1, I think.

And X-Men Legends 1-2, Ultimate Alliance 1 but not 2. Justice League Heroes...

Agreed on Legends/Arkham. They each really took a shot at doing the properties justice.

While it's going back a ways, I also felt like X-Men: Madness In The Murderworld had it's heart in the right place when it came to that even though it wasn't really a success.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

X-Men Legends 1 and 2 are my absolute favorites. I also love both Injustice games and the Arkham series. Marvel vs Capcom used to be a great series. I also miss Marvel Heroes.

Marvel vs Capcom 1, 2, 3 bar none

BANNED

I liked Spider-Man on the Atari 2600. It had amazing graphics.

Superman 64.

In all seriousness, some good ones that may get overlooked or not really mentioned:

-The PS2/X-Box Punisher game.
    -The Sega Spider-Man arcade game.
    -The Sunsoft Batman NES game.

Quote Originally Posted by ChibaMariners View Post
    Marvel vs Capcom 1, 2, 3 bar none
    Special note should be made to the also great games that paved the way for those ones: Children of the Atom, Marvel Super Heroes, X-Men vs Street Fighter and Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

I really liked Freedom Force when I was younger.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

I enjoyed the heck out of Superman Returns, Punisher, and the Iron Man game.

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I really liked Freedom Force when I was younger.
    Freedom Force with Mods is next level. Just about any comic character you can think of can be added. Can't recommend it enough, It's on steam.