View Poll Results: WW84: Diana's sewuel being in the '80s makes you feel ...

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ecstatic - I wanted this all along

3 5.66%
  • Happily surprised - didn't expect it, but I dig it

22 41.51%
  • Faithful in Jenkin & Co - they alone could make it work

14 26.42%
  • Unhappy - so she's only good for the past?

12 22.64%
  • Not seeing WW84 anyway - hated the first one

2 3.77%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default WW84: Really? the Eighties?

So, now we know more about the sequel 's setting.

It's going to be set in 1984, almost 70 years after her first movie's primary setting ended. Chris Pine is back (not a spoiler) but we don't know how or in what capacity (resurrection, descendant, clone, hallucination a la Tyler Durden in Fight Club, part of a long con, etc).

However, My question here is why?

Why do another period piece for Wonder Woman? Why are her solo exploits being done past tense? Why don't they want her solo in the present day?

Sure, there is lots of fun to be had in the past settings. And the 80s are always good for a laugh.

But that is kinda sending messages that she's too boring for the present day (which could use her now more than ever).

You know they would not do this with Superman or Batman, because it feels like those two are endlessly rewritten to be contemporary and as relevant as possible.

WW84 could be bigger than the first, or about as well, or disappoint. I feel like this move to more period pieces may backfire. I have faith in Jenkins, but this move is eating up a lot of it.

Is everyone else excited about the 1980s setting and I'm just being the turd in the punch bowl about this? Or do others share my concern?

Let your voice be heard (poll forthcoming).

BANNED

You do a period piece because the 20th century is full of interesting periods.
    You also do a period piece because at the moment the 21st century DCEU is a bit of a mess and letting other characters clean it up a bit makes sense.
    Another reason is that the first one was a period piece and did very well indeed.

And that's not even getting into current 80's nostalgia.

I have faith in Jenkins...
    You have a funny way of showing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    You do a period piece because the 20th century is full of interesting periods.
    You also do a period piece because at the moment the 21st century DCEU is a bit of a mess and letting other characters clean it up a bit makes sense.
    Another reason is that the first one was a period piece and did very well indeed.

And that's not even getting into current 80's nostalgia.

You have a funny way of showing it.
    Sorry, should have clarified: I have faith, not blind faith.

I'm sure Jenkins loves the character and will do her job admirably, but this doesn't feel like a confident move, ESPECIALLY because of the 1980s nostalgia fad, which makes less sense for Wonder Woman. If they wanted full - on WW nostalgia, it'd be WW77, not WW84. And just do an updated big - screen homage to Lynda Carter's show.

Whatever, I'll still watch the sequel. Especially because Chris Pine is back.

Along the line of what someone just mentioned, it gives them a very simple way to put a "Wonder Woman" movie together. Easy way to make it a "Solo" sort of a film.

Past that, she is a very old character. What is the argument against that being a part of telling her story?

Edit: In addition to that, I thought I came across an article where the writer suspected that the specific year might be a bigger deal than that what might appear to be just "An Eighties" callback on the surface.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 06-16-2018 at 05:26 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Sorry, should have clarified: I have faith, not blind faith.

I'm sure Jenkins loves the character and will do her job admirably, but this doesn't feel like a confident move, ESPECIALLY because of the 1980s nostalgia fad, which makes less sense for Wonder Woman. If they wanted full - on WW nostalgia, it'd be WW77, not WW84. And just do an updated big - screen homage to Lynda Carter's show.

Whatever, I'll still watch the sequel. Especially because Chris Pine is back.
    I don't think there's a big audience for a full on WW77 homage, anymore than there is for an Adam Westing Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I don't think there's a big audience for a full on WW77 homage, anymore than there is for an Adam Westing Batman.
    Disagree completely.

There was always a much stronger connection between Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman and WW fans over the decades than there ever was with Adam West 's Batman and Batman fans over the following decades.

Adam West famously disliked the 1989 Movie on is release and stupidly thought HE'd still be cast as Batman when the movie was announced. Even before The Dark Knight Returns was published, he was persona non grata among many Batfan circles.

There was never any rapport between him and Keaton the way there is with Carter and Gadot. And Carter may yet cameo in the sequel

And Gadot is blatantly homaging Carter with her civilian wardrobe in the sequel, by the looks of the recent pics from the set that were released.

If they were going to stay in the 20th century, WW77 would have been the bolder move over WW84. But hey, like I said, Chris Pine's return makes the second period piece much easier to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Disagree completely.

There was always a much stronger connection between Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman and WW fans over the decades than there ever was with Adam West 's Batman and Batman fans over the following decades.

Adam West famously disliked the 1989 Movie on is release and stupidly thought HE'd still be cast as Batman when the movie was announced. Even before The Dark Knight Returns was published, he was persona non grata among many Batfan circles.

There was never any rapport between him and Keaton the way there is with Carter and Gadot. And Carter may yet cameo in the sequel

And Gadot is blatantly homaging Carter with her civilian wardrobe in the sequel, by the looks of the recent pics from the set that were released.

If they were going to stay in the 20th century, WW77 would have been the bolder move over WW84. But hey, like I said, Chris Pine's return makes the second period piece much easier to deal with.
    Not dismissing Lynda but Adam got his career resurgence in the 90's and 00's thank to fans becoming people with influence in Hollywood. Howard Stern, Conan O'Brien, Ralph Garman, Seth MacFarlane, and the DCAU crew to name some outside of Stan Lee I can't think of anyone who was more beloved in comics pop culture. As for 84 over 77 84 is a more interesting year cold war tensions were higher and the United States had an election where for the first time a major party chose a woman to be in the ticket.

Since its the Cold War I hope we see Blue Snowman

If it speaks to a lack of confidence of anything, its the current DCEU landscape in the present day. And there should be a lack of confidence in that, its a laughingstock shitshow. It doesn't however, suggest a lack of confidence in Wonder Woman herself. Another period piece can fit for the character, you avoid having to worry about the crap Snyder/Whedon left at the door, and you just move forward and try to make a good successor to her first film.

Why not do '77? Its been done. And the 80s is the decade to be right now for period pieces. I have no problem milking that a bit. The franchise doesn't NEED the milking, but can only help, not hurt.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Since its the Cold War I hope we see Blue Snowman
    Since it is a political Cold War, Minister Blizzard would be more fitting.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'm all for more Wonder Woman period flicks. Sounds rad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Not dismissing Lynda but Adam got his career resurgence in the 90's and 00's thank to fans becoming people with influence in Hollywood. Howard Stern, Conan O'Brien, Ralph Garman, Seth MacFarlane, and the DCAU crew to name some outside of Stan Lee I can't think of anyone who was more beloved in comics pop culture. As for 84 over 77 84 is a more interesting year cold war tensions were higher and the United States had an election where for the first time a major party chose a woman to be in the ticket.
    Hillary Clinton wasn't the first female presidential candidate? Never knew that. Timing would make sense though since the British Prime Minister was a woman throughout that decade (there's actually only ever been two female PMs, and the other one is the incumbent).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

I guess the 80's make sense since Wonder Woman won't have any interference from superhero types. I mean, Batman would be in his teens at best and Superman not even born. It was made abundantly clear from Justice League that the world only needs Superman for world ending threats, so it is a good excuse to make the movie dated so that he can't possibly be in it.

I am not sure how they are going to shoe horn in an ability for her to fly though, like many are hoping. Maybe if the movie happened after the events of Justice League would that make sense for her to fly. That is, if her powers are constantly evolving and she hasn't come into her full powerset yet.

Hopefully she will use her super saiyan powers in WW84 like she did at the end of her solo movie, and maybe explain why she couldn't use it against Steppenwolf.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    I guess the 80's make sense since Wonder Woman won't have any interference from superhero types. I mean, Batman would be in his teens at best and Superman not even born. It was made abundantly clear from Justice League that the world only needs Superman for world ending threats, so it is a good excuse to make the movie dated so that he can't possibly be in it.
    Could Diana be apart of Bruce's journey after his parents get killed and as a rich kid travels around the world?

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    If it speaks to a lack of confidence of anything, its the current DCEU landscape in the present day. And there should be a lack of confidence in that, its a laughingstock shitshow. It doesn't however, suggest a lack of confidence in Wonder Woman herself. Another period piece can fit for the character, you avoid having to worry about the crap Snyder/Whedon left at the door, and you just move forward and try to make a good successor to her first film.

Why not do '77? Its been done. And the 80s is the decade to be right now for period pieces. I have no problem milking that a bit. The franchise doesn't NEED the milking, but can only help, not hurt.
    The DCEU is currently at the status quo DC Comics constantly reboot too. The story is set in the past because that is where the creators wanted to place it. All other forthcoming DC films are being set after JL.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut