View Poll Results: WW84: Diana's sewuel being in the '80s makes you feel ...

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ecstatic - I wanted this all along

3 5.66%
  • Happily surprised - didn't expect it, but I dig it

22 41.51%
  • Faithful in Jenkin & Co - they alone could make it work

14 26.42%
  • Unhappy - so she's only good for the past?

12 22.64%
  • Not seeing WW84 anyway - hated the first one

2 3.77%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Was the way she handled the episode good or bad ?

Kudos to who it was who mentioned the flipping of the fish out of water scenario. That indeed looks to be the case where its now Steve who is a man out of his element, and Diana will probably have to help him navigate it. That alone sounds worth the price of admission.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

If you have an immortal character why not have fun showing them throughout the years? We have 2 movies with her in present day and im sure her 3rd movie will take place in the present.

I'm placing my faith in Patty & co.

I'm not sure how setting this movie in the past implies that she's boring or that she's less important that Batman or Superman (who's own movies & sequels have yet to be greenlit, let alone made). They are literally still filming this movie as we speak - and not far from where I live! Details are scarce, and it's WAY too soon to bemoan storytelling choices we haven't seen pan out yet.
    Last edited by Natamaxxx; 06-18-2018 at 02:15 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Natamaxxx View Post
    I'm placing my faith in Patty & co.

I'm not sure how setting this movie in the past implies that she's boring or that she's less important that Batman or Superman (who's own movies a sequels have yet to be greenlit, let alone made). They are literally still filming this movie as we speak - and not far from where I live! Details are scarce, and it's WAY too soon to bemoan storytelling choices we haven't seen pan out yet.
    Agreed. Wonder Woman is doing fine, better than the other two for a change. It doesn't matter what time period it takes place in, as long as it's good. The general audience isn't going to give a crap about that or come to the conclusion that it must mean she's less important than other two (which is a leap in logic only comic book fans can make). They love her, if the movie gets good buzz they will see it. End of story.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    I have faith in Patty Jenkins. I look forward to the Orwellian touches she'll put in to this movie. "1984" cannot be an arbitrary choice for the sequel's setting and title.

And given today's political climate, Wonder Woman going up against nuclear warfare and the Soviet Union could potentially make a valuable, relevant and hopeful statement and commentary on today's sad state of affairs in the U.S.
    I agree that 1984 was chosen as the year for the events of the movie because of its Orwellian implications, which 1977 would not have carried.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

As a teen of the 80s, I'm into it. Besides, the 70s have already been done. For a period film, the 80s and 1984 work for the Orwellian vibe and the changes in feminism that started to take place in that time.

It'll be interesting to see how Patty navigates that with a character who has clandestinely been around since the 30s and the changes she has experienced in American and world culture in that time.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Was the way she handled the episode good or bad ?
    Personally, I think that it was one of the best episodes of a brilliant series.

I think its for the best for the next WW movie to remain at a distance from the mess that is the DCEU. Let her do her own thing. As a child of the 80s, I'm so stoked that they chose 1984. It will be interesting to see how DIana stayed under the radar with her 80s exploit. It will be so great to see a live-action Cheetah, we never got that in the Lynda Carter series.

I'm still thinking we have a trilogy on our hands, with the next movie bringing Wonder Woman up to present times. For a hero who's been around for such a long time, showing her in three completely different settings throughout history is a fantastic plan. Kind of shows how much of an important and diverse character she is. So for the voting option of she's only good in the past, I think it shows that she's good at any given moment in time. Plus it's the 80s, did you not see the filming pic of Chris Pine in a Members Only jacket and fanny pack? Hell yeah.

Am I the only one hoping CHeetah will stick around? What would be a great arc for her and Diana?

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Kudos to who it was who mentioned the flipping of the fish out of water scenario. That indeed looks to be the case where its now Steve who is a man out of his element, and Diana will probably have to help him navigate it. That alone sounds worth the price of admission.
    I concur. The more I think about it, I become more convinced that Chris Pine should be playing the same Steve Trevor from WWI and not some doppelgänger.

Diana showing Steve the ropes and acting as his guide as to how how America underwent tectonic changes in the 66 years since his "demise," how WWI still begat WWII, how the women's rights movement/women's lib progressed, the end of segregation and anti-miscegnation laws, the Korean and Vietnam Wars etc. would be an excellent flip of the script on the fish out of water trope.

Gal Gadot and Pine would sell that seamlessly. WW84 need not go into 66 years' worth of American and world history in granular detail, of course, but to see Steve shocked at how the the world had changed since he last set his feet on the ground is something I'd really love to see.
    Last edited by NYCER; 06-19-2018 at 03:12 PM.

Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

I am not placing my faith in Jenkins, especially in light of how disappointed I was with the first film. and I will not be seeing it.
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

It's too bad She-Ra debuted in 1985. I'd have loved to see Diana catching a glimpse of it and giving it sly smile. lol

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Am I the only one hoping CHeetah will stick around? What would be a great arc for her and Diana?
    You're definitely not. And I think she will in some capacity. Immortality often goes hand in hand with her curse, so she would still be around in the present day, and is likely going to be part of the Legion of Doom, if that ends up still happening.

I'm interested to see how she fits in with all these seeming Orwellian elements.