Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Detox View Post
    I would return the book, especially since you've never had any issues with them in the past.
    Nope.
    I am under no legal obligation to.
    Why should their error cause me an inconvenience?

They should not expect a customer to fix their mistake.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bri View Post
    Nope.
    I am under no legal obligation to.
    Why should their error cause me an inconvenience?

They should not expect a customer to fix their mistake.
    I agree it's an inconvenience. However, if they have agreed to cover the shipping costs, I would do the right thing and post it at a convenient time for you. Just saying

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I agree it's an inconvenience. However, if they have agreed to cover the shipping costs, I would do the right thing and post it at a convenient time for you. Just saying
    Here's the problem I have.

I had no obligation to tell them of thier mistake, and am under no obligation to return the item.

FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION
    Consumer Information
    https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ed-merchandise

IST sent an email thanking me for my honesty and claiming they could not ALLOW me to keep the book. Not only can they allow me to, they have no legal recourse to deny me from keeping it.

Again, I have ordered (literally) tens of thousands of dollars worth of books from them (hundreds of dollars worth every week for years) I also have three months worth of pre-paid advance orders with them through their sister company Tales of Wonder.

Is claiming a dedicated customer (or any customer) be responsible for fixing their error the way a company should act? I don't think so.

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 01:51 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    This isn't meant to be snarky I promise. But why did you ask for advice from a bunch of collectors, who would hate to have their book go missing? We're just going to tell you to return it in the most convenient way possible. That's what I did with Booksetc and they were much more awkward about it than IST sound to be.
    I was just wondering what others would do. I find it odd that so many people expect a cutomer to fix a sellers error. IST is not a "collector." They are a part of a for profit group of companies.
    I may have been more willing to return the item, had IST not dishonestly claimed they could not LET me do so. Obvioulsy they can.
    Anyway, I have solved the problem. Tomorrow I will donate the book to the local public library. I will email IST a copy of the reciept from the library, who will be happy to have a brand new item for thier graphic novel section.
    What possible objection could there be?

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 01:51 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    I'm just worried the vindication you might find in getting to donate the book, might cause you hassle in the future. If you buy so many books, it could effect their willingness to ship to you or they could charge for the book and force you to do a chargeback, which might be annoying to deal with.

I just honestly think asking for them to email you a printable label and taping it to the box and dropping it off when you'd be near a post office or depot anyway, that will save you hassle compared to getting to be right for a brief moment. If you get me.
    I understand your point, but I can't allow IST to foist thier error on me.
    I refuse to allow a company to punish me for their mistake. They have no legal right to do so, and if they attempt any vindinctive action the law is 100% on my side. I have money, a lawyer and no sympathy for those who believe their errors are others fault and responsibility.
    Am I talking this to far? You could argue yes, but I will argue that IST is clearly in the wrong, morally and legally.
    I also have the hope that after sending the FTC link to IST and my intention to donate the book that IST will see the error of their ways.
    Do they really want to anger and lose a dedicated customer of years over a mistake that is 100% their own? I intend to find out.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Has IST wronged you in any other way? I ask because you really want to put them in their place. Don't get me wrong, if you want to and feel they've treated you unfairly do what you need to do. It's just that they truly seem to be one of the "good" guys when it comes to dealing with damaged/erroneous goods. They've always been polite and done me right. There are so many other unpleasant and hard to deal with retailers.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Has IST wronged you in any other way? I ask because you really want to put them in their place. Don't get me wrong, if you want to and feel they've treated you unfairly do what you need to do. It's just that they truly seem to be one of the "good" guys when it comes to dealing with damaged/erroneous goods. They've always been polite and done me right. There are so many other unpleasant and hard to deal with retailers.
    No, they have been very reliable, but give them an inch and they will take a mile. I can't allow a company to do wrong by me, even once.
    I am baffled by the dishonest claim "we cannot let you keep the copy" (a direct copy and paste) when they clearly can, and are legally obligated to allow me to keep the book.
    The book in Question is a BPRD book, not some OOP Omni or limited Artist's edition. It is still availbe for sale on the IST site.
    Anyway, thanks for your time and opinons, but I am stubborn and will not be letting them put me on the hook for their error.

You probably could have asked IST for a coupon in exchange for the time and money to return their book to the post office.

They accidentally sent me 2 copies of a trade before. I sent them an e-mail informing them of the mistake and they replied asking if I could send the book back. They also provided me a pre-paid label to do so.

I usually have packing materials on hand as I sell a lot of books on eBay, so it was no problem for me to pack it up and send it back to them.

If having to make an extra stop at the post office is my biggest inconvenience for the day, I am thankful

Quote Originally Posted by Bri View Post
    No, they have been very reliable, but give them an inch and they will take a mile. I can't allow a company to do wrong by me, even once.
    I am baffled by the dishonest claim "we cannot let you keep the copy" (a direct copy and paste) when they clearly can, and are legally obligated to allow me to keep the book.
    The book in Question is a BPRD book, not some OOP Omni or limited Artist's edition. It is still availbe for sale on the IST site.
    Anyway, thanks for your time and opinons, but I am stubborn and will not be letting them put me on the hook for their error.
    I wonder if they'll still want to do business with you in the future if you're going to take that attitude.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I wonder if they'll still want to do business with you in the future if you're going to take that attitude.
    My terrible attitude of following the law and using thier mistake to benefit the local public library?

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

@Bri

I agree with everyone else. Return the book, especially if they are providing a return label.
    Did you have to tell them, no but I perceive from your responses you expected your honesty to be rewarded with "just keep the book".
    Then it wasn't and you felt slighted. Now your puffing your chest and shocked that we aren't agreeing with.

IST has narrow margins. So yeah, "they can't afford to let you keep the book" makes total sense. They are not Amazon who can brush off a few hundred errors.

Return the book.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    @Bri

I agree with everyone else. Return the book, especially if they are providing a return label.
    Did you have to tell them, no but I perceive from your responses you expected your honesty to be rewarded with "just keep the book".
    Then it wasn't and you felt slighted. Now your puffing your chest and shocked that we aren't agreeing with.

IST has narrow margins. So yeah, "they can't afford to let you keep the book" makes total sense. They are not Amazon who can brush off a few hundred errors.

Return the book.
    No.
    Can they afford to piss of a customer that spends over $200 a week, which I have for years?
    I didn't expect to be "rewarded." I wanted them to be able to avoid future mistakes and keep the inventory up to date. They are called "In Stock Trades" after all.