Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Question If You Wrote Comics: Captain Marvel

Even though I was apprehensive towards the idea nevertheless since somehow Kevin Feige has been knocking out of the park for some time I decided to pull the trigger. So welcome ladies and gentlemen to yet another If You Write Comics thread. And in honour of Carol Danvers' big screen debut we are going to tackle Captain Marvel. As always just imagine if the comic companies gave you full reign over Captain Marvel and it doesn't matter which one Mar-Vell, Monica Rambeau, or Carol herself, the rogues gallery (if there are enemies exclusive to Captain Marvel), and supporting characters which obviously will include Kamala Khan due to her association with them, and maybe find a new direction for for the Captain Marvel title. As always let loose, live, and have fun.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

I would reinstate Carol’s femininity, Ms. Marvel identity, and black costume. I would also bring back Mar-Vell. And I would either change Monica’s name back to Photon or Pulsar or think of something better. Spectrum just sounds weird. Possibly because it’s now a cable company. Moonstone would be a recurring annoyance for Carol, but the main threat she would face would be a secret cabal of renegade Kree and Skrulls that are intent on destroying their worlds and wiping outhumanity with the goal of both races starting anew on Earth as a blank slate.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

BANNED

I’d bring him back “alive” as some sort of energy construct that had been stored in the bands. Something cheesey like that, since I’m not really creative.

Oh wait...

Kree-Skrull Cold War in near space, Earth’s solar system.

Shifting alliances, defended borders, disputed trade routes. SWORD + Alpha Flight man Earth’s defense, but Carol leads Omega Flight to fight FOR Earth’s interests on the front lines or into enemy territory.

Invincible Member

If I were writing Carol, the first thing i would do is establish a supporting cast for her. Bring back Kit. Give her a non-superhero love interest. Give her some sort of "normal" life for her that's not about super-heroing 24/7.

Then build up her rogues gallery. Dr Minvera, Doomsday Man, Moonstone...I'm sure there's other villains that aren't being used that could be reshaped into foes for Carol.

While I don't need her and Monica to be besties, I would make previous Capt Marvels a presence in the book. Monica would show up, so would Phylla. Genis and Mar-Vell would be remembered.

I would try the balance cosmic adventures with earthbound stories. I'd lose the whole Alpha Flight thing...

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    If I were writing Carol, the first thing i would do is establish a supporting cast for her. Bring back Kit. Give her a non-superhero love interest. Give her some sort of "normal" life for her that's not about super-heroing 24/7.

Then build up her rogues gallery. Dr Minvera, Doomsday Man, Moonstone...I'm sure there's other villains that aren't being used that could be reshaped into foes for Carol.

While I don't need her and Monica to be besties, I would make previous Capt Marvels a presence in the book. Monica would show up, so would Phylla. Genis and Mar-Vell would be remembered.

I would try the balance cosmic adventures with earthbound stories. I'd lose the whole Alpha Flight thing...
    Agreed with all of this. In particular I want Grace Valentine from the Kelly Sue run to come back to actually do something.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

I like a lot of the ideas that recent runs have been trying in isolation, but I don't know if they're all working.

I think that I would trade Alpha Flight for Carol's Initiative-era response team from under Brian Reed (or maybe combine the two). I think a lot of fans would love to see Machine Man and Sleepwalker again, and Carol should have more Earth-bound adventures. And I agree about her vilains and especially Grace Valentine. She should have been introduced a while before the issue she debuted in, and then tried to pull off a long con like Dario Agger in Aaron's Thor books or Veronica Cale in Wonder Woman.

I would have more connections with her friends in the X-Men and her friends from the Avengers. I don't see why Wanda and Jessica couldn't be constant presences within her book (especially since they're not being used anywhere else ...) and maybe there could even be an extended story about Carol finally, truly burying the hatchet with Rogue. This would all be in addition to Carol's own supporting cast, of course.

BANNED

Grow her hair out again. Her haircut is hardly original at this point, and not every artist can depict it in a way that's visually flattering (the same problem applies to Kitty Pryde & Crystal- it looks better w/ some artists, but often is flat or masculine)

A decent love interest, and a relationship where neither party is undermined. War Machine or Hyperion would be my choice.

Spider-Woman on the supporting cast. I consider Jess to be her closest friend, and I want to see them hang out and/or team-up on a regular basis. Bonus if we get a girls night out with Jessica Jones, She-Hulk, Hellcat, America Chavez and Spectrum.

A balance of earthbound and spacebound adventures. There's no reason we can't have both. Her capabilities and her ties to characters both cosmic and ground level should keep her between the two.

Moonstone as an ongoing antagonist, meddling in Carol's personal life, and maybe even manipulating her love interest. Having her pose as an ally could be interesting too, and then the inevitable betrayal.

Build a strong Rogue Gallery. I'd start with Toxic Doxie, Deathbird, Dr. Minerva, Magnitron, Ronan the Accuser and Captain Glory.

A restoration of the Kree empire (whats left of it anyway). Carol comes to Martyr, Hulkling, Noh-Varr & Ultragirl and asks for their aid in finding a new home planet for any Kree refugees scattered across the cosmos.

Astonishing Member

I'd immediately turn it in to dragon ball and have her fight a parody of Frieza on a planet that will be destroyed in 5 minutes over 20 issues.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Mystique murdered Carol's boyfriend back in the day. I think they could reignite that feud.

I would probably have Carol coming up missing and bring in a time-displaced Mar-vell. I would give him a power increase, bring in the Kree and Skrulls as major foes, give him a new love interested.

I'll have Monica and Adam as part of his supporting cast. I would really push the defender of the universe part of his history. At the same time, I would have a sub-story dealing with Carol and her trying to get back to Earth or wherever I might put her.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Nothing much different from what has already been said.

I prefer Carol with long hair.

I'm also more of a fan of street level stories so I bring her back to Earth adventures instead of dealing with aliens. Would give more attention to classic villains with connection to her in the past as Mystique or Moonstone.

Give more attention to support cast with friends, heroes, family and love interests.

I would also make her less nervous or worried . Trying to create a social life and interacting more with ordinary people, in addition to exploring their connections and past life in the army with their current life . In doubt between duty and friendship always choose friendship on contrary to what writers have made her do.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

I would retcon Civil War II as it was the story that turn Carol into a jerk and give her long hair and costume that is a compromise between her current look and one that can make her look more feminine.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

I would cast Carol as Marvel's Captain Kirk. Her title would be Marvel's answer to Star Trek in which attempt to use diplomacy, but almost always end up using her fists, to put and end to Alien conflicts that threaten Earth. Instead of traditional rogues gallery where she faces specific individuals repeatedly I would have her regularly clash with the various Alien/Cosmic races of Marvel. In doing so I would attempt to put more emphasis on her relationship with the members of her crew.

Thematically, the stories would be the potential of humanity, leadership in the face of adversity, and need for diplomacy.

I would retcon Civil War 2.

I would bring back the long hair and black costume. Spider-Woman can come back in her original costume as well because it's not 2015 anymore.

A healthy mix of space and earth adventure.

Cut Alpha Flight loose along with the space station. The only people who should have a space station are villains. Having a hero have one is a little too DC.

I'm going to assume I can pick my artist so I'm going to go with Ethan Van Sciver because his work on Green Lantern was spectacular. He could show far out space opera and everyday earth adventure, and you know that his Carol will look heroic.