Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I agree with growing her hair out, a lot of artists can't draw it in a way that looks flattering even though short haircuts on women are not inherently masculine. I'd bring back the Ultimates as her supporting cast, and have her personally come to the conclusion that she was wrong about Civil War II and focus her mission on trying to atone for her behavior during that series, carrying a chip on her shoulder that gets her into trouble sometimes but always trying to do the right thing. More cosmic/extra-dimensional adventures as opposed to Earthbound unless she's on an Avengers mission.

Honestly, I'd probably keep the basic status quo as it currently stands. Carol's in charge of Alpha Flight, earth's first line of defense against alien threats. That's a solid role and niche for Carol to fill that she can own; no one else is really doing that. It just needs to be handled better.

I'd bring back the earthly, civilian supporting cast and have Carol spend more time on the ground between missions and meetings. Characters like Kit need to be in her life; both Carol and the book are better for those connections. And Jessica Drew would absolutely be a main member of the supporting cast. I'd also like to re-establish some of her friendships with other heroes like Peter Parker and Steve Rogers.

I'd probably return to the idea of Carol having a base in the statue of liberty; her own secret little Fortress of Solitude hidden in plain sight. No one expects to find a hero's hidden lair in a place full of tourists!

Stories would roll between dealing with problems on earth (Skrull spies, old foes like Traveler, etc) and problems within our solar system (the Brood, Kree shenanigans, Magneto asteroid bases, etc) and occasionally (once every 18 months or so?) have Carol travel on diplomatic missions to other worlds.

Kamala and the other Marvels would play a larger role. Every major, A-list hero has at least a few legacies, sidekicks, and/or junior partners. Phylla is at the top of my list for returning Marvels, but I'd want to bring in Genis and Monica too.

I'd go for the same kind of tone as KSD's first run, or Mark Waid's Captain America and Daredevil runs; quick paced stories with a light, easy tone. Not comedies, but still fun. Not dramas, but still dramatic. Big ideas, big explosions, big heart.

I think, by and large, Carol's got a good spot in the MU right now. She just needs it to be better balanced and written better. It's not the concepts that are the issue, it's the execution of those ideas.

.....and I'd probably have her grow her hair out again. She used to have the best hair this side of Jessica Drew and I miss it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I would give Rick Jones the Nega Bands and he would be Captain Marvel. His book would be about him proving himself on earth for the first year and then it would transition to a cosmic title. Captain Marvel is supposed to have the Nega Bands.

Spectacular Member

I would return the other Captains Marvel to the series. Have Carol still running Alpha Flight on Earth but bring Mar-Vell, Genis-Vell and Phyla-Vell back to life. I would include Hulkling, Ultragirl, Wendell Vaughn (now a Quasar again but since his body is comprised of them Quantum Energy, have him like Alan Scott) and Avril Kincaid.
    I would have the Marvel family out protecting the galaxy and stopping threats to Earth. And Mar-Vell remain with Carol as a 2nd in command and guidance.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I've said this a dozen times before, but I really like the idea of them trying to sell the Captain Marvel franchise as a team. They've sort of played with that recently on the Infinity Countdown tie-in, where Carol interacted with a variety of different Captain Marvels across the multiverse, and that is something I want to be properly explored in the 616 universe, with Carol and other characters related to the Captain Marvel legacy working together as an official team. I'd bring Mar-Vell back too, if not in his physical body, then at least as a spiritual guide for the team, kind of like Agatha Harkness and adult Jean Grey on the recent Scarlet Witch and Jean Grey solo books.

Add Rick Jones to this image, and you've got a perfect roster to a team book:

I'd have her shave her head. "Oh my god, people are still debating my hair? That's it, I'm going bald, I don't care any more."

I'd have her share a book with Spectrum and make her look like this

Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I would probably go full starship troopers, epic battles, insane monsters, larger than life action setting

Cut Alpha Flight and institute Wonder Man as her only other partner and go into space.

But it would require a ton of rework of Simon.

Astonishing Member

I'd ditch the Alpha Fligh thing. Yes, to stories with Kree and Skrull. Maybe bring in the rest of the Vell family -- including Rick Jones and Moondragon. Yes to long hair -- at least -- no butch cuts. Redefine the outfit --- to look more like it fits in with Vell's family -- more red/black than blue with red accents. Dont' lose the past when moving forward. Marvel tried to overhaul the character too drastically, IMHO.

I'd just make Abigail Brand in charge of Alpha Flight.

She should be the authority, because she is an excellent FOIL for Carol to play off.

And then Carol could more effectively/appropriately play to her strength of sassy, snarky, defiant, take charge gal.

I'd start with a limited series about Mar-Vell's early days in the Green and White. Walter Lawson and Carol Danvers as a security chief. The focus is more on both of them and setting up Carol as a more modern example of a career military woman. By this time, she had already had numerous experiences and a role as "girl hostage" won't cut it. The days of alien races not being the norm for Earth and trhe need for secrecy was a fun story device.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I've said this a dozen times before, but I really like the idea of them trying to sell the Captain Marvel franchise as a team. They've sort of played with that recently on the Infinity Countdown tie-in, where Carol interacted with a variety of different Captain Marvels across the multiverse, and that is something I want to be properly explored in the 616 universe, with Carol and other characters related to the Captain Marvel legacy working together as an official team. I'd bring Mar-Vell back too, if not in his physical body, then at least as a spiritual guide for the team, kind of like Agatha Harkness and adult Jean Grey on the recent Scarlet Witch and Jean Grey solo books.

Add Rick Jones to this image, and you've got a perfect roster to a team book:

That's not a bad idea. I could get behind something like that, though it's not the direction I myself would take.

Though I'd leave Mar-Vell dead and gone. I feel like bringing him back, even as a disembodied "ghost" would be to cheapen his death (one of the few that has actually stuck to any degree). And this isn't a franchise that needs competing voices of authority. Carol is Captain Marvel, the "top of the food chain" within the IP should be her; not the voice of a guy who died over thirty years ago and couldn't find success beforehand.

What would the team be called? The Marvels?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

- Get Jim McCann to write.

- develop her Binary form and powers

- Do an arc with Rogue and Mystique

Keep Abigail Brand and SWORD around

- give her long hair back

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Honestly, I'd probably keep the basic status quo as it currently stands. Carol's in charge of Alpha Flight, earth's first line of defense against alien threats. That's a solid role and niche for Carol to fill that she can own; no one else is really doing that. It just needs to be handled better.

I'd bring back the earthly, civilian supporting cast and have Carol spend more time on the ground between missions and meetings. Characters like Kit need to be in her life; both Carol and the book are better for those connections. And Jessica Drew would absolutely be a main member of the supporting cast. I'd also like to re-establish some of her friendships with other heroes like Peter Parker and Steve Rogers.

I'd probably return to the idea of Carol having a base in the statue of liberty; her own secret little Fortress of Solitude hidden in plain sight. No one expects to find a hero's hidden lair in a place full of tourists!

Stories would roll between dealing with problems on earth (Skrull spies, old foes like Traveler, etc) and problems within our solar system (the Brood, Kree shenanigans, Magneto asteroid bases, etc) and occasionally (once every 18 months or so?) have Carol travel on diplomatic missions to other worlds.

Kamala and the other Marvels would play a larger role. Every major, A-list hero has at least a few legacies, sidekicks, and/or junior partners. Phylla is at the top of my list for returning Marvels, but I'd want to bring in Genis and Monica too.

I'd go for the same kind of tone as KSD's first run, or Mark Waid's Captain America and Daredevil runs; quick paced stories with a light, easy tone. Not comedies, but still fun. Not dramas, but still dramatic. Big ideas, big explosions, big heart.

I think, by and large, Carol's got a good spot in the MU right now. She just needs it to be better balanced and written better. It's not the concepts that are the issue, it's the execution of those ideas.

.....and I'd probably have her grow her hair out again. She used to have the best hair this side of Jessica Drew and I miss it.
    This sounds dope.