Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

One of the weak spots of the "Mar-Vell" run was the way that Marv's link to Earth, Rick, was almost totally surplus to requirements - I didn't dislike him you understand, but he had little going on in his personal life, and had no combat skills or advice for Mar-Vell. I would have a new character become linked to the Nega-Bands who would become Captain Marvel when he (or she) slammed them together, transforming into a super-human form and gaining a link to Mar-Vell's consciousness much like Rick had, only the new character would only see him when powered up. Mar-Vell would be there to provide advice in both hand-to-hand and tactics and strategies as he was a highly-trained Kree soldier/spy even before gaining the Nega-Bands and becoming a super-hero, but the new character would be in the driving seat.

A decent supporting cast would also be needed - some Earth-based and mundane, attached to the new character's life, while others would come from Mar-Vell's past and be more... extra-terrestrial in nature (Elysius, Mentor, Ronan).

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    I would probably go full starship troopers, epic battles, insane monsters, larger than life action setting
    This. Give her massive conflicts and massive villains that no other hero can handle.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    This. Give her massive conflicts and massive villains that no other hero can handle.
    Exactly how powerful is Carol in the comics?
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Exactly how powerful is Carol in the comics?
    She's been creeping up in the past few years. Stronger than Iron Man, but no real indicator how much stronger. Though it's like any character, "As strong as necessary."

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    She's been creeping up in the past few years. Stronger than Iron Man, but no real indicator how much stronger. Though it's like any character, "As strong as necessary."
    So Carol's as powerful as the plot demands it huh typical, thanks.

So Carol's as powerful as the plot demands it huh typical, thanks.
    Just like anybody else tends to be. lol

Just like anybody else tends to be. lol
    Someone should just set a limit for these power and skill levels.

I swear someone always tries and then the next writer needs to change it to fit the narrative better.

How many times has Tony Stark fixed the power drain on chameleon mode just to complain about it in another armor? I hate it.

But at the same time, if it were so lock tight I'd be stuck over analyzing every little comic misstep.

I swear someone always tries and then the next writer needs to change it to fit the narrative better.

How many times has Tony Stark fixed the power drain on chameleon mode just to complain about it in another armor? I hate it.

But at the same time, if it were so lock tight I'd be stuck over analyzing every little comic misstep.
    Tighter editorial could help to teach the writers to work within the boundaries of what has been established but that might not work either.

BANNED

Why?
    "As powerful or as weak as the plot requires" is how superhero stories work and have always worked since Action Comics #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Why?
    "As powerful or as weak as the plot requires" is how superhero stories work and have always worked since Action Comics #1.
    You tell me when people take continuity so seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Why?
    It's also necessary to the flow and function of a story since a hypercritical adherence to even small number differences is gonna screw up the story.

You tell me when people take continuity so seriously.
    A lot of people do, but it's usually more in the mold of the story and not how much the Thing could benchpress in 1991 compared to 2001. I understand the frustration with weird power incontinence, but I understand why it's there. So long as the writers don't take or give huge amounts from/to the characters. If one day Thor showed up and had problems rumbling with Luke Cage I'd be up in arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I'd have her shave her head. "Oh my god, people are still debating my hair? That's it, I'm going bald, I don't care any more."
    In order for it to be a debate wouldn't someone have to defend that terrible haircut? I think we have reached consensus

A lot of people do, but it's usually more in the mold of the story and not how much the Thing could benchpress in 1991 compared to 2001. I understand the frustration with weird power incontinence, but I understand why it's there. So long as the writers don't take or give huge amounts from/to the characters. If one day Thor showed up and had problems rumbling with Luke Cage I'd be up in arms.
    You raise a good point but continuity has a bad habit of establishing power levels which alone only adds to the frustration and annoyance when no one adheres to continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    In order for it to be a debate wouldn't someone have to defend that terrible haircut? I think we have reached consensus
    In other words not many likes that hair cut and it was a horrible idea to begin with seriously what was Marvel thinking?