Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Comic Book Sales for May

Here is the sales chart for May:
    https://www.cosmicbooknews.com/comic...sales-may-2018

Marvel Comics had four titles in the top ten. In addition to Amazing Spider-Man #800, Donny Cates and Ryan Stegman's Venom #1 ranked #2, Jason Aaron and Ed McGuinness' Avengers #1 ranked #4, and Ta-Nehisi Coates and Daniel Acuña's Black Panther #1 ranked #5. DC Entertainment had five titles in the top ten: Geoff Johns and Gary Frank's Doomsday Clock #5 ranked #3; Tom King and Tony S. Daniel's Batman #47 ranked 6; King and Daniel's Batman #46 ranked #7; Scott Snyder, James Tynion IV, Joshua Williamson, and Francis Manapul's Justice League: No Justice #1 ranked #8; and Brian Michael Bendis, Ivan Reis, and Jason Fabok's The Man of Steel #1 ranked #9. Also in the top ten, Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead #179 ranked #10. Among the premier publishers, BOOM! Studios' Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #27 was their top book at #133, Frank Miller's Xerxes: The Fall of the House of Darius and the Rise of Alexander #2 was Dark Horse's top book at #129, Dynamite Entertainment's Red Sonja/Tarzan #1 ranked #142, and IDW Publishing's TMNT: Urban Legends #1 ranked #159.

Avengers beat Justice League in sales, and no X-title made the top ten.

I imagine Synder's Justice League #1 will probably beat Aaron's Avengers #2, though where it goes from there is anyone's guess.

I'm curious if Spencer can keep ASM in the top 10 after the new #1 shine wears off.

I'm also curious where sales for Bendis' Superman and Action Comics will end up in the rankings. DC apparently wasn't happy about Man of Steel's sales, but it is still in the top 10.

It looks like Cates and Stegman were enough to give the Venom book new life and better sales, which is good considering the movie will be coming out but maybe not so good if people are tired of Marvel milking the heck out of Venom and Symbiotes .

I'm curious if Coates' sales will stay up or how long until they fall to the numbers the book was doing before the relaunch.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

The massive difference between the Dollar share and the Unit share for Marvel and DC seems to be the number one reason why they're so committed to all these 3.99 and 4.99 (and 5.99) comics. They're just barely selling more than DC but making a lot more money. So far we haven't seen massive drops in sales from price bumps like people have proclaimed, but I wonder how long that's sustainable. I think once DC moves its semi-monthly comics to 3.99 and Marvel continues to ship 18 issues a year on some titles while hiking up the price on any issue with more than 32 pages, we might see an impact. Or maybe the impact has always been that the higher-selling titles still get consistent sales while the titles at the bottom of the list suffer as people cut back their pull lists to stay on budget...

Spectacular Member

Honestly it's been such a fantastic year for Donny Cates at Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm also curious where sales for Bendis' Superman and Action Comics will end up in the rankings. DC apparently wasn't happy about Man of Steel's sales, but it is still in the top 10.
    Same. Like it's Superman so it'll still be a top book. But I imagine there are other readers like me who
    1) enjoyed Tomasi's run
    2) were happy to take a double-shipped book off their pull list
    Floppies as of November: Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman, Catwoman, The Green Lantern, Black Panther, Dead Man Logan, Domino, Exiles, Iceman, Immortal Hulk
    Digital as of November: Daughters of the Dragon, Iron Fist: Phantom Limb, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage.

Bendis's Superman won't be double shipping though.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Here's the link to the chart:
    https://www.cbr.com/may-2018-sales-a...-spider-man/2/

Amazing Spider-Man sold 411,480 issues.
    Avengers #1 sold 131,450. Avengers #2 sold 66,646, which brought it in line with Justice League: No Justice #2-4. Both Avengers issues outsold all X-Men team books and Star Wars.
    Infinity Countdown sold 59,041, which is not good for an event book.
    Quicksilver: No Surrender sold 20,213 issues. Not a promising start.

A two-page article? No thanks. Here's Comichron's version.
    http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...8/2018-05.html
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Holy shizzle. Them Spidey numbers.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I imagine Synder's Justice League #1 will probably beat Aaron's Avengers #2, though where it goes from there is anyone's guess.

I'm curious if Spencer can keep ASM in the top 10 after the new #1 shine wears off.

It looks like Cates and Stegman were enough to give the Venom book new life and better sales, which is good considering the movie will be coming out but maybe not so good if people are tired of Marvel milking the heck out of Venom and Symbiotes .

I'm curious if Coates' sales will stay up or how long until they fall to the numbers the book was doing before the relaunch.
    I can't imagine DC could be happy with Man of Steel #1. It wasn't a disaster or anything but I have to think they expected a lot more. In my opinion they should have had Bendis debut with a new Action Comics #1. Having him officially debut in DC Nation and then in Man of Steel and then again in two other new books diminished the impact.

I am also not sure if the relatively low sales are more reflective of Superman's current low standing or more a sign that creators jumping ship doesn't hold as much weight as it used to.

Mighty Member

[QUOTE=responsarbre;3733011 Or maybe the impact has always been that the higher-selling titles still get consistent sales while the titles at the bottom of the list suffer as people cut back their pull lists to stay on budget...[/QUOTE]

That has been my experience... the big, expensive "must haves" squeeze out the fringe titles. There's also a large percentage of customers who set their "budget" by capping the number of books they will sub, as opposed to measuring by total dollar amount. That is why the Rebirth practice of double shipping at $2.99 was so well liked by a lot of retailers. The customer is counting Batman as one spot, even though it is actually two books. And the lower price point made for a happy customer, which is always a good thing.

So moongirl wasn't on that list only a trade does that mean its selling less than 250 copies

#30 was out last week of April and #31 first week of June. So she's missing because there was no new issue in the month.

Quote Originally Posted by super curry max View Post
    So moongirl wasn't on that list only a trade does that mean its selling less than 250 copies
    Yes and no. Diamond represents comic book shops. So, Moon Girl probably sold less than 250 trades in May of 2018 in LCS. Marvel doesn't sell trades in book stores through Diamond, they publish through Hatchette Book Group. They have since 2010, if I recall.

Great to see the Market recovering. The market share for Marvel has also gone back to a dominant position with a huge share of the cash going to them this month. Possibly skewed a little by ASM but notably something DC couldn’t do with Action Comics which still shocks me.

I guess the biggest difference was one had a highly successful run coming to a head and one was an anthologised issue partly trying to launch a new run.

Quote Originally Posted by Materiel View Post
    Yes and no. Diamond represents comic book shops. So, Moon Girl probably sold less than 250 trades in May of 2018 in LCS. Marvel doesn't sell trades in book stores through Diamond, they publish through Hatchette Book Group. They have since 2010, if I recall.
    Even some of the larger comic shops prefer to order a portion of their trades through the book channel. But I think the interest was in the floppy which of course wasn’t published so not on the list. Whereas the trade was on the list.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 06-19-2018 at 01:04 AM.