Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Just saw the estimated sales......200k+ first issue sales for Venom is insanely large for that character (regardless of incentives).

Is it the movie hype or something?

Meanwhile, 131k sales for Avengers 1 seems a little low for a title of that caliber. I would have expected at least 200K for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Just saw the estimated sales......200k+ first issue sales for Venom is insanely large for that character (regardless of incentives).

Meanwhile, 131k sales for Avengers 1 seems a little low for a title of that caliber. I would have expected at least 200K for that.
    The previous #1 for Avengers was 81.8K so I guess it depends how you measure 'caliber' Avengers might be a book Marvel want to be high profile, but it certainly doesn't translate into guaranteed sales.

I was always concerned that three high price books were hitting the stands in the same month, but it seems to have worked out.

Strike that there were quite a few $5 books this month. Because I don't work in dollars I sometimes miss the pricing.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 06-19-2018 at 01:41 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    The previous #1 for Avengers was 81.8K so I guess it depends how you measure 'caliber' Avengers might be a book Marvel want to be high profile, but it certainly doesn't translate into guaranteed sales.

I was always concerned that three high price books were hitting the stands in the same month, but it seems to have worked out.

Strike that there were quite a few $5 books this month. Because I don't work in dollars I sometimes miss the pricing.
    Oh...I see.

There were a lot of highly priced books that month and they generally sold very well.

Despite the screams of fans (and some retailers online), it seems the market is somewhat inelastic to price.

Oh...I see.

There were a lot of highly priced books that month and they generally sold very well.

Despite the screams of fans (and some retailers online), it seems the market is somewhat inelastic to price.
    Not sure that is true. There is a lot of hype about prices, when prices will generally find their own level. Of course they find that level in retail, and we don’t see the discounts and the actual return on investment. I know from my personal perspective I am not spending as much, so the equation only goes one way for me.

I still find it fascinating that we have seen two separate pricing strategies maintained by the big two for such a long time. Seems like they have both settled into their models.

Ultimate Member

Not sure that is true. There is a lot of hype about prices, when prices will generally find their own level. Of course they find that level in retail, and we don’t see the discounts and the actual return on investment. I know from my personal perspective I am not spending as much, so the equation only goes one way for me.

I still find it fascinating that we have seen two separate pricing strategies maintained by the big two for such a long time. Seems like they have both settled into their models.
    The thing is, Marvel has for the last couple of years consistently pumped out books between $3.99 and $9.99 and they still see big returns on them at retailer level.

I strongly suspect retailers are making good returns hence their constantly ordering them in large numbers.

I haven't really followed the sales data closely but I frequently see very highly priced books at the top of the charts.

The very high price books are the exception though. And I imagine the retailers estimate that with discounts they are a safe bet to order to the next level.

Action Comics was still pretty successful for example and clearly the shops either underestimated its sales in the first month or staggered their investment for reorders. To be #6 in the dollar chart on the following month is pretty impressive, even if the sales figures looked a little lower than I might have guessed overall.

The massive difference between the dollar share and the unit share is because of DC Nation selling a million copies but priced at only 25 cents. Comichron did post the unit and dollar shares without including that though.

Dollar Shares in Top 300 - Marvel 53.53%, DC 28.77%
    Unit Shares in Top 300 - Marvel 48.02%, DC 32.57%

Quote Originally Posted by spidey&wondy View Post
    The massive difference between the dollar share and the unit share is because of DC Nation selling a million copies but priced at only 25 cents. Comichron did post the unit and dollar shares without including that though.

I just don't look at unit shares. I am interested in how the companies are doing, and recognise these are not charts. The DC Nation problem was a little inconsistent too given previous years and previous cheap books.

Quote Originally Posted by spidey&wondy View Post

You, perhaps unintentionally, bring up an INTERESTING topic... The top 100 vs the Top 300.

To me, and many other fans, the case is often that whenever one discusses these things, the going is this: If it's not in the top 300 - IT DOESN'T EXIST!

N.o. No discussion - nothing to discuss, no purpose to it at all.

However, this may not necessarily be true - the market has expanded and diversified immensely in recent years, and at times even grown - perhaps we should be talking a bit more about the other 200 books that make out the market, and beyond.

What is YOUR take on the significance of the top 300, and their impact on the market? Could there one day even be life BEYOND the top 300? In other markets than the North American, such as the Japanese Manga-market, there is DEFINITIVELY life outside of the top 300, and such books can have quite an impact, in time.

The French-Belgian, i.e EU-market with books like Tintin, Asterix and so on, also, I believe, have a liittle bit of life outside of the top 300, and certainly a great deal of diversity in the books published.

Could the NA market one day evolve into such a market too?

Ultimate Member

Oh...I see.

When it's Mosaic-folks scream bloody murder but when it's guys like Peter Parker-no one has an issue with it. Despite the fact many of those books pack bins in higher numbers months later.

Sop if one wanted Amazing Spider-Man 800 and did not care what cover-they can wait till it hit a bin or a used book store.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    I can't imagine DC could be happy with Man of Steel #1. It wasn't a disaster or anything but I have to think they expected a lot more. In my opinion they should have had Bendis debut with a new Action Comics #1. Having him officially debut in DC Nation and then in Man of Steel and then again in two other new books diminished the impact.

I am also not sure if the relatively low sales are more reflective of Superman's current low standing or more a sign that creators jumping ship doesn't hold as much weight as it used to.
    I dunno, weekly mini series with no variant support. Seems like decent numbers.

I'm not sure if it's movie hype, because you would think that would have kept the Costa run at better numbers, though the double-team of Cates/Stegman might be the deciding factor here (plus the new #1 sheen).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm not sure if it's movie hype, because you would think that would have kept the Costa run at better numbers, though the double-team of Cates/Stegman might be the deciding factor here (plus the new #1 sheen).
    It has been very apparent over the last few years that Marvel are finding success with Venom. For those of us that don’t really care much about him this may seem odd, but one only has to look at the sheer number of books with Venom in, and the success of the Venon variant covers.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by QBall View Post
    I dunno, weekly mini series with no variant support. Seems like decent numbers.
    The book is totally returnable though. Retailers have no reason not to order as many as they think they can possibly sell, in a best case scenario, with no risk. Taking that, plus how much they hyped Bendis coming over, into account and it's a pretty underwhelming debut imo.

It has been very apparent over the last few years that Marvel are finding success with Venom. For those of us that don’t really care much about him this may seem odd, but one only has to look at the sheer number of books with Venom in, and the success of the Venon variant covers.
    I think they're definitely finding success with Venom in certain avenues.

The Venom solo wasn't selling so hot but the events and minis did pretty well.

It's the 90's all over again .