Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Barry Trotz took the Islanders job. Not sure on the details of his contract yet.
    And who replaces him in Washington? An assistant the Caps can lowball in the salary department like they tried to do with Trotz?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    And who replaces him in Washington? An assistant the Caps can lowball in the salary department like they tried to do with Trotz?
    Probably

10 char
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Taylor Hall won the Hart trophy. I had him as an outside chance of winning back when we were talking about it. I didn't think he would win it though. Congrats Taylor!
    That one surprised me. Having seen the guy play in person before I always found him to be a fundamentally flawed player. That said, I know he's been rounding his game out more in NJ than he did in EDM.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sirmarkus View Post
    That one surprised me. Having seen the guy play in person before I always found him to be a fundamentally flawed player. That said, I know he's been rounding his game out more in NJ than he did in EDM.
    He had an outstanding season but so did several other players. I can't say he didn't deserve it, but I probably would have given it to some others before him.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

From what I heard, if Trotz stayed, a clause would have kicked in that would have paid him a certain dollar value that he deemed to be too low. Odd the one thing that should have meant big dollars for him (winning a Stanley Cup) could have screwed him over in the pay department so badly.

It was either stay and earn less than he felt he deserved or resign. That's the story I heard.

I thoroughly disliked his game when he was an Oiler. He had speed and skills, but he played like a dummy. Like a Roomba, he'd just keep on running into the defencemen when attempting to breach the zone. Every once in a while he would swerve and not be predictable, but it was so frustratingly one-dimensional when he played for Edmonton.

He had an outstanding season but so did several other players. I can't say he didn't deserve it, but I probably would have given it to some others before him.
    I think a big part of what led to Hall winning over MacKinnon was that MacKinnon had Mikko Rantanen and Landeskog who scored 29 and 25 goals respectively. Basically, Hall provided a lot of the offence for his line by himself.

Tonight's draft was really, really unpredictable. I cannot believe some of the players that were picked in the top 10, Barret Hayton and Vitaly Kravtsov being picked at 5 and 9 respectively being the most unexpected.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

It seems like the New York Islanders may have won the off-season...especially if they manage to re-sign John Tavares (which I think will happen).

Not only did they got a really good (IMO) coach in Barry Trotz, got Lou Lamerillo and managed to snag Oliver Wahlstrom and Noah Dobson. I think if they manage to get a couple of solid defenceman and a decent goalie, they are automatically a good team.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    It seems like the New York Islanders may have won the off-season...especially if they manage to re-sign John Tavares (which I think will happen).

Not only did they got a really good (IMO) coach in Barry Trotz, got Lou Lamerillo and managed to snag Oliver Wahlstrom and Noah Dobson. I think if they manage to get a couple of solid defenceman and a decent goalie, they are automatically a good team.
    If Lou keeps Tavares he'll find the other pieces. The guy knows what he's doing and knows how to build teams.

So, the Calgary Flames trade Dougie Hamilton, Michael Ferland and prospect Adam Fox to the Carolina Hurricanes for Noah Hanifin and Elias Lindholm. I think Carolina won the trade, to be honest. They get more pieces and a prospect rife with potential. I'll be honest, I don't know why Calgary would make this trade. It makes very little sense.

Ilya Kovalchuk is now a Los Angeles King. He signed a 3 year contract with them.

A pretty busy 2nd day of the draft.

It looks like John Tavares is looking at about 5 teams that he might want to sign with if he does not re-sign with the Islanders. I am pretty sure this is a tactic to raise his AAV with the Islanders, as I truly believe his heart is with the Islanders, but it is pretty interesting that it has gone that far.

Yes yes YES!!!!

John Carlson just re-signed with Washington. Now they just need to re-sign Michael Kempny and they should be solid for a while. That move to trade Grubauer and off-load the Brooks Orpik at the same time was a solid move. Who knows? With Colorado buying out Orpik, the Capitals might be able to bring Orpik back for a lot less than the $5.5 they were paying him before. There's no doubting that Orpik was a big part of the Stanley Cup win this year, so he does have value to the Capitals organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    So, the Calgary Flames trade Dougie Hamilton, Michael Ferland and prospect Adam Fox to the Carolina Hurricanes for Noah Hanifin and Elias Lindholm. I think Carolina won the trade, to be honest. They get more pieces and a prospect rife with potential. I'll be honest, I don't know why Calgary would make this trade. It makes very little sense.

Ilya Kovalchuk is now a Los Angeles King. He signed a 3 year contract with them.

A pretty busy 2nd day of the draft.
    I hear you, I'm a huge Flames fan and this one makes me scratch my head.

Apparently there were issues with Hamilton having conflict with coaching over his role and not being super tight with the locker room. Still, he was the best defenceman we had last year. Hanifin has a lot of upside, and is younger and maybe cheaper. Ferland for Linholm I'm not sure on. Ferly is a big body and not afraid to mix it up, and has a lot of skill. The only part that made sense was moving Fox's rights, as he wasn't going to sign in Calgary anyway.

The only real positive here is that Brodie will be able to move back up and play with Giordano, which will hopefully allow him to return to form.

I hear you, I'm a huge Flames fan and this one makes me scratch my head.

Apparently there were issues with Hamilton having conflict with coaching over his role and not being super tight with the locker room. Still, he was the best defenceman we had last year. Hanifin has a lot of upside, and is younger and maybe cheaper. Ferland for Linholm I'm not sure on. Ferly is a big body and not afraid to mix it up, and has a lot of skill. The only part that made sense was moving Fox's rights, as he wasn't going to sign in Calgary anyway.

The only real positive here is that Brodie will be able to move back up and play with Giordano, which will hopefully allow him to return to form.
    I heard that part about Hamilton not being really tight with the locker room. Regardless, you gotta ask for a draft pick for Fox, I think. 2nd, 3rd, 4th...7th even. I do not know why you'd give up more to get less. Now, I have a feeling that Hanifin has a lot more to offer and I really do like Lindholm, as he is a right shot C/RW and that is rare in the NHL. I just think the Flames could have gotten something for Adam Fox.

I like Lindholm's potential, and the fact he can play wing and center appeals to me. Hanifin is a good young defenseman, and may fit better in the Flames system. I know that if they didn't trade his rights they'd lose Fox for nothing. I do wish that Treliving had managed to secure a pick with the deal as well. Even if it was a 4th rounder or worse.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Brodeur, O'Ree, Bettman lead Hockey Hall of Fame Class of 2018

Devils goalie, first black player in NHL, League Commissioner selected along with St. Louis, Yakushev, Hefford
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Brodeur, O'Ree, Bettman lead Hockey Hall of Fame Class of 2018

Devils goalie, first black player in NHL, League Commissioner selected along with St. Louis, Yakushev, Hefford
    I agree with O'Ree and am surprised it's taken this long and I agree with Brodeur going in.
    When I was seventeen,
    I drank some very good beer,
    I drank some very good beer
    I purchased with a fake ID.

My name was Brian McGee,
    I stayed up listenin' to Queen
    When I was seventeen.