Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sirmarkus View Post
    Sekera tore his achilles while training the other day. The Oilers shallow D-corps just got shallower. I still can't believe Chia didn't try to address this glaring weakness in his team. Talbot can't be a happy camper right now.
    Yeah...unfortunately, there's not much out there. Chia will have to go out and get someone via trade and that's also a bad move, because he's lost every single trade he's made so far. I think Chia should consider looking internally for a potential call up or just wait it out.

At the same time, I think the Oilers cannot be any worse than they were last year. I think a lot of things went wrong and they will be better this year.

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    Never thought I'd say this, but I'm buying ESPN+ for this upcoming season if I actually want to watch interesting games.

Like, I live in Indianapolis; if I wanna watch a Blackhawks game, we syndicate 50 of them. Why does NBC feel obligated to show the same four damn teams 70% of the time each season?!

I can understand them not bothering with a team like Vancouver (who's guaranteed to suck once more), but Carolina drafted Andrei Svechnikov, and it's as usual at the end of the season, a road game for Carolina, and likely to be preempted just cause. **** NHL on NBC!
    I'm thinking about getting a hockey package, so I can watch more games. The one I got only showed some of the games I wanted to watch. Really not worth it.

I am actually hoping to catch a few Carolina games, to see how that Svechnikov kid does. I do have to point out one thing, though. Even if Vancouver sucks, they will have Horvat, Boeser and Petterson in the line-up, I think. I do think they'll play a fun brand of hockey.

That and who really needs to listen to Mike Milbury talk?
    LOL!
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

So there was a little news about Karlsson this week. A rumour came out that the Canucks may be interested and just as quickly their GM vehemently denied it. For Van that is the right move. They have a lot of great prospects that are going to move the team forward in the next couple years, and I don't think they should trade them.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

So there was a little news about Karlsson this week. A rumour came out that the Canucks may be interested and just as quickly their GM vehemently denied it. For Van that is the right move. They have a lot of great prospects that are going to move the team forward in the next couple years, and I don't think they should trade them.
    I saw that. I heard my Blackhawks were in on trade discussions for him as well.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    I saw that. I heard my Blackhawks were in on trade discussions for him as well.
    At this point, I think the Hawks are better of unloading as many heavy contracts tied to older players and start a mini-rebuild. I honestly do think that they can get another 3-4 great years and maybe a couple of good years from Toews and Keith. I think anyone who is older than 28 and doesn't have NMC/NTC clauses on their contract should be moved to make way for younger talent.

Basically, I think they should opt out of trying to get Erik Karlsson. I think Karlsson is a great defenceman, maybe the best of his generation, but I think that injury he sustained will make any contract beyond 5 years a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    At this point, I think the Hawks are better of unloading as many heavy contracts tied to older players and start a mini-rebuild. I honestly do think that they can get another 3-4 great years and maybe a couple of good years from Toews and Keith. I think anyone who is older than 28 and doesn't have NMC/NTC clauses on their contract should be moved to make way for younger talent.

Basically, I think they should opt out of trying to get Erik Karlsson. I think Karlsson is a great defenceman, maybe the best of his generation, but I think that injury he sustained will make any contract beyond 5 years a nightmare.
    Bowman won't do that. He knows the fans expect to go deep in the playoffs every year and he's going to try to make that happen again.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Bowman won't do that. He knows the fans expect to go deep in the playoffs every year and he's going to try to make that happen again.
    That's the hardest part of being a GM, knowing when your window is closing and finding the right time to rebuild. Detroit used to be the kings of this. An off year was a first round playoff loss. Like the Hawks they were good at finding talent in different places. Unfortunately Chicago is very much a victim of the cap system.

That's the hardest part of being a GM, knowing when your window is closing and finding the right time to rebuild. Detroit used to be the kings of this. An off year was a first round playoff loss. Like the Hawks they were good at finding talent in different places. Unfortunately Chicago is very much a victim of the cap system.
    They are, but this year they are actually in pretty good shape and have a surplus with the trade of Hossa. I could be wrong, but I believe they have about $6 to 7 mil to play with.

They are, but this year they are actually in pretty good shape and have a surplus with the trade of Hossa. I could be wrong, but I believe they have about $6 to 7 mil to play with.
    For my money, I wouldn't mortgage any more future pieces to fit another 28+ year old player. Then again, that's me. I do think that the Hawks have a great scouting system, because they found some really great players in the later rounds and I think they can keep doing it as long as they don't make one more expensive move with the cap space they've gotten.

For my money, I wouldn't mortgage any more future pieces to fit another 28+ year old player. Then again, that's me. I do think that the Hawks have a great scouting system, because they found some really great players in the later rounds and I think they can keep doing it as long as they don't make one more expensive move with the cap space they've gotten.
    I agree, Bowman has an excellent staff at his disposal. I think if they can move a Seabrook or Keith for prospects and picks they could open up even more salary, and maybe keep their window open a little longer. If any GM can pull it off it's Bowman.

I really like the signing of Hanifin by Calgary. IMO, this contract will be a bargain in about a couple of years.

What did you all think of the Nate Schmidt? Personally, I saw the headline about what happened and then read his statement and I have to say: it felt like he got a severe suspension (not a bad thing) for something that was very minuscule amounts of banned substance. Now, this is the off-season and if he was doping, it could be that there are trace amounts of the stuff in his system, but his statement indicated that he'd been tested a couple of times during the season and that the amount that they found in his system is likely something that could have be found in anyone's system.

Based on the little I have read, I am inclined to side with Schmidt in that this is a very harsh suspension.

YOWZA! Blake Wheeler just signed a massive deal. The Jets will be tight against the cap next year, having to sign players like Laine, Connors, Trouba, Myers, etc. with a projected $27 million left. There will be some major holes after the 2018-2019 season. Looks like the Jets are going to make a massive push this year.

YOWZA! Blake Wheeler just signed a massive deal. The Jets will be tight against the cap next year, having to sign players like Laine, Connors, Trouba, Myers, etc. with a projected $27 million left. There will be some major holes after the 2018-2019 season. Looks like the Jets are going to make a massive push this year.
    I don't mind it. Wheeler is the guy that leads the team, and he has the numbers to support it.

How about the Vegas/MTL deal? I'm not sure how I feel about that, but it feels like Montreal loves to blame it's leaders for team failures, rather than coaching and management.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Hard to believe the preseason is already here as it cranks up on Saturday with Calgary hosting Boston. My Flyers play the next day against the Islanders.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I really like the signing of Hanifin by Calgary. IMO, this contract will be a bargain in about a couple of years.
    I sure hope so.

And with the last day of Rookie camp the Flames rookies beat the Oilers rookies back to back, out scoring them 13-6 over two games!