Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Your thoughts on 'Justice' by Alex Ross and Jim Krueger (2005 - 2007)

I admit it kinda dragged towards the end. But overall, I loved this story.

But I'm a sucker for the Satellite Years JL of A and of the Super Friends cartoon. I felt the Joker was pretty useless and unnecessary in the story but I loved the Legion of Doom.

Aquaman, Flash, and Wonder Woman's stories were the best IMO. And the art was amazing of course.

Hands down my favorite Justice League story of all time! Loved it and you can’t beat the art. Alex Ross is just a beast.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    Hands down my favorite Justice League story of all time! Loved it and you can’t beat the art. Alex Ross is just a beast.
    Allowing for the possible exception of Davis' The Nail, I agree with FlashFreak: Best JL story ever put to paper. Anyone who watched Challenge of the Superfriends as a child had been aching all their lives to see somebody do that epic, and Ross, et al. made it a love letter to the whole of the DC Silver Age.

Hm. Somewhat disturbing that 2 Elseworlds were my fave JL stories?

Loved it! The artwork was great and gave it a cinematic feel.

Also love the Satellite Years, and I really enjoyed the fact that it was treated like an EPIC adventure for both the League and the LOD. I love how Ross and Krueger prove that DC has a great catalog of heroes - and especially villains, already established. Sometimes you just need to dust them off and let them run wild!
    Last edited by Cap808; 06-18-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I originally bought all 12 issues and then the three-volume book set. I wish we could've gotten this as the cover for volume 3:

Last edited by caj; 06-17-2020 at 01:06 PM.

Add me to another who really enjoyed it. Loved it as a nod to the era. We had a thread and reviews for it a while back, I guess the forums don't go that far back anymore?

It worked for me visually and thematically as a prequel to Kingdom Come, as this was somewhat the world and heroes they had lost to a more dark cynical modern era.

There is a visual mirroring of a scene in KC which retroactively foreshadows, a parallel scene in Justice. (my interpretation anyway)

The clash between Luthor and Braniac was great, as those two on the same team, you had to expect, they would be trying to deceive one-another to their own ends.

The heroes, and the way they were each taken out, all somewhat spoke to their character and history.
    Particularly Barry Allen and Hal Jordan, who at the time were not allowed to "exist" in the actual DCU.

If I remember correctly there was also a companion book with quick origins of all the characters? Or was that part of the Treasury sized Ross/Dini books? I feel like it ties into Justice though, as that was the era they were celebrating.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I I felt the Joker was pretty useless and unnecessary in the story but I loved the Legion of Doom.
    I liked the use of the Joker, his absence in the classic Challenge era cartoon Legion Doom was played up here, you don't want him against you, you don't want him on your team either. As he's just kind of this self-indulgent, independent force feeding off and causing more chaos, unhinged right there in the middle of it all.

The twist with the Metal Men ruse at end was a bit hokey, I get wanting to celebrate everyone, so it worked for the story and fed into the fun of it all. And I actually like some of the final "armor" ideas.

Last edited by Güicho; 06-19-2018 at 09:42 AM.

I loved it. The DC Direct action figures were awesome, too.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think it was a beautifully drawn love letter to the classic Bronze Age DC era, epitomized by the Challenge of the Super Friends cartoon.

It takes itself far, far too seriously and could've used a little more humor to deflate the overall pretentiousness of the writing, but it's a nice companion piece for fans of Kingdom Come, essentially serving as a prequel to that story.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I originally bought all 12 issues and then the three-volume book set. I wish we could've gotten this as the cover for volume 3:

I've never seen that image; it's gorgeous! I love that Ross and Kruger included as many of the Bronze Age characters as they could (but then, I guess that was kind of the point).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I've never seen that image; it's gorgeous! I love that Ross and Kruger included as many of the Bronze Age characters as they could (but then, I guess that was kind of the point).
    Agree, although it did feel a little crowded at times.

I remember when I first saw this painting - I sat and stared at it for quite awhile. It's amazing. Here's a black and white of the same image:

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I really enjoyed it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Add me to another who really enjoyed it. Loved it as a nod to the era. We had a thread and reviews for it a while back, I guess the forums don't go that far back anymore?

It worked for me visually and thematically as a prequel to Kingdom Come, as this was somewhat the world and heroes they had lost to a more dark cynical modern era.

There is a visual mirroring or flipping of a scene in KC which retroactively foreshadows, a parallel scene in Justice. (my interpretation anyway)

The clash between Luthor and Braniac was great, as those two on the same team, you had to expect, they would be trying to deceive one-another to their own ends.

The heroes, and the way they were each taken out, all somewhat spoke to their character and history.
    Particularly Barry Allen and Hal Jordan, who at the time were not allowed to "exist" in the actual DCU.

If I remember correctly there was also a companion book with quick origins of all the characters? Or was that part of the Treasury sized Ross/Dini books? I feel like it ties into Justice though, as that was the era they were celebrating.
    The book you thinking of is JLA: Secret Origins by Paul Dini and Alex Ross. While it was a companion book, it was a companion to the World's Greatest Heroes series by Paul Dini and Alex Ross ( featuring Superman: Peace on Earth, Batman: War on Crime, Wonder Woman: Spirit of Truth, Shazam: Power of Hope and JLA: Liberty and Justice).

I agree the use of the Joker makes perfect sense here. I really loved how each DC super villain is used and play against each other here to be honest.

This was one of the books I read as a kid in middle school that really made fall in love with the Justice League, particularly the satellite era to be honest.

Honestly?

Don't recall liking it very much and can't even remember what it was about.

Also, was burned out on Alex Ross's cosplay superheroes by then too so that probably didn't help any.
    Batman - Daredevil

I thought it was great. A fantastic tribute to the Silver Age and the Superfriends show. The only part I didn’t care for was Superman screaming “help me!” when he was hanged up on by the villains. It was really out of character.

Loved the art and the Legion of Doom and all the characters appearing, but didn't love the story overall. It was a little more is more instead of less is more, being more effective.

But, definitely a fun ride and some great character interactions.