Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Getting Doug Braithwaite to do the pencils so that Ross could focus on the painting was pretty smart.

BANNED

I consider it one of the worst written books I have ever read.

I can spot Jim Krueger five pages in (he did a fill-in issue of Buffy, and I had missed this until I was five pages in and checked the cover).

This is what I wish the DC looked like today. Classic heroes in classic settings against Classic villains with modernized writing and amazing artwork. I loved every issue of it and really there isn't anything in post-Flashpoint (or much even post-zero hour if I'm honest) that I like anywhere NEAR as much as I like this story.

Something about the way Superman got taken out was just... wow. What was it? Bizarro, Parasite and Black Adam team up to just overwhelm him? Rarely have I ever seen Superman pounded so badly and sat back and said... "Yeah, that seems legit to me."

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Easily one of my very top few favorite Justice League stories of all time. It has so many nods to the Silver/Bronze Age and Superfriends, showcases the best of all the characters, makes the classic Society villains shine, incorporates interesting global themes, has some cool twists, and is absolutely gorgeous. Each point deserves its own elaboration. (Excuse any errors in what I remember.)

This story made me realize how important it is to make everyone shine on a team adventure. The dialogue is excellent and each character has extremely strong moments that for me just nail the character's voice.

Batman interrogating and threatening Captain Cold while wearing the lasso;
    Aquaman taking charge and flat out declaring he's going to kill Brainiac (after regrowing a frontal lobe no less);
    Plastic Man and Elongated man confronting their insecurities, and Ralph outdoing himself against Clayface
    Green Arrow's narration and dialogue with Dinah ("Earplugs?")
    Hal's fistfight with Sinestro and John's moment when he gets the ring
    Cap Marvel and Superman throughout ("I hate to ask...but Barry needs to eat, and I left my wallet at home.")
    Wonder Woman's compassion, divinity, and Barry's humility in the face of her affliction ("I look away, but it's not fast enough")
    The Metal Men being so creative in their support
    Lex's anti-superhero/alien philosophy perfectly exhibited, Grodd and him vying for power, Brainiac a chillingly threatening dissecting scientist, and the Joker the unpredictable x factor both sides should fear.

The multiple twists were great too. The Metal Men disguising Superman was cool enough, but so was Hal using the yellow ring and Green Arrow totally fooling Supergirl and throwing a hail Mary to Stewart.

I also love that the villains are selling philanthropy as a way to gain popularity while trying to delegitimize the Justice League. It's not only clever, but the images of people from different countries seeking their help remind us that it's a big world with vast complex problems that the JLA may or may not be able to respond to. It makes the League feel more global and real to me.

Worst thing I could say about it is that the plot meanders a bit as the villain plot is unveiled, and the suspension is a little thinned out at the end. But it doesn't hurt the story for me, I still feel so much excitement and grandiosity during the final battle.

Quite frankly if you love the Justice League I can't see how you can't appreciate (if not love) this book. Creative powers, strong focus on relationships & characters, and an intriguing villain plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I consider it one of the worst written books I have ever read.
    How is it "badly written"?

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    This is what I wish the DC looked like today. Classic heroes in classic settings against Classic villains with modernized writing and amazing artwork. I loved every issue of it and really there isn't anything in post-Flashpoint (or much even post-zero hour if I'm honest) that I like anywhere NEAR as much as I like this story.

Something about the way Superman got taken out was just... wow. What was it? Bizarro, Parasite and Black Adam team up to just overwhelm him? Rarely have I ever seen Superman pounded so badly and sat back and said... "Yeah, that seems legit to me."
    Yeah, the update of classic characters with modern writing is always a treat.

it's the only DC story that i like.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    it's the only DC story that i like.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    How is it "badly written"?
    An utter and complete failure to make me like any character he writes about, even if they're been favourites of mine for decades, and a total lack of ability to engage me emotionally and make me care about anything that happens in the book.

Not just this book, everything Kruger has written that I started reading. And never managed to get further than 60 or less pages into.

Mighty Member

Is it really as good as people say or is everyone putting this on a high pedestal due to nostalgia for a specific era? Things that are cheesy turn me off.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Black View Post
    Is it really as good as people say or is everyone putting this on a high pedestal due to nostalgia for a specific era? Things that are cheesy turn me off.
    Both? I got into it for the Nostalgia factor and loved it because it was really good. It's been a few years since I read it, but I don't remember it being cheesy it at all. If anything it had an almost dark and gritty feel... WITHOUT throwing everyone in unnecessary armor.

It was familiar characters in a serious situation (i.e. the enemies are organized and actually efficient ant WINNING) and I couldn't wait for each issue to come out.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Oh, Justice is not cheesy in the slightest. My biggest problem with the story is that they steer so far away from cheesy into self-seriousness, which for a story that is playing tribute to a gloriously goofy and cheesy cartoon from the '70s feels kinda strange.

It's worth checking out for the art alone.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Both? I got into it for the Nostalgia factor and loved it because it was really good. It's been a few years since I read it, but I don't remember it being cheesy it at all. If anything it had an almost dark and gritty feel... WITHOUT throwing everyone in unnecessary armor.

It was familiar characters in a serious situation (i.e. the enemies are organized and actually efficient ant WINNING) and I couldn't wait for each issue to come out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Oh, Justice is not cheesy in the slightest. My biggest problem with the story is that they steer so far away from cheesy into self-seriousness, which for a story that is playing tribute to a gloriously goofy and cheesy cartoon from the '70s feels kinda strange.

It's worth checking out for the art alone.
    I do TPB shopping every other weekend. Alex Ross art has always been beautiful but because of that I'd definitely give it a buy.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

BANNED

Is it really as good as people say or is everyone putting this on a high pedestal due to nostalgia for a specific era?
    The second. Definitely the second. It's Silver Age Nostalgia: The Comic. Sort of Identity Crisis done right in that regard.

It’s fantastic and I read all three trades in one sitting. That rarely happens. Definitely worth your time and does not even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Identity Crisis.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    An utter and complete failure to make me like any character he writes about, even if they're been favourites of mine for decades, and a total lack of ability to engage me emotionally and make me care about anything that happens in the book.

Not just this book, everything Kruger has written that I started reading. And never managed to get further than 60 or less pages into.
    Care to point out any specifics? Hard for me to see anything wildly off base for any of the characters.

I didn't grow up during that era, so no. Everyone's measure for "cheesy" is different, but this is certainly not cheesy. It feels modern.