Astonishing Member

Default Arowverse Season Finales- Which were your favorites?

Alrighty.

With Supergirl concluded tonight we have all the Arrowverse and related shows done for their respective seasons.

But...which show had the best season finale? And how would you order them all?

What say you all.

Arrow, Dc Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl or Black Lightning? And yes I know officially Black Lightning isn't connected to them let's include it for simplicities sake.

Black Lightning by far, then maybe the Flash.

Astonishing Member

My ratings for their finales

1) DC Legends of Tomorrow
    2) Arrow
    3) Supergirl
    4) Flash
    5) Black Lightning

Legends, because it’s the only one i saw.

Retired

LEGENDS was the best.

I liked FLASH. It wasn't perfect, but it had a lot of great effects and wow moments and I was invested in what happened with the characters. BLACK LIGHTNING wasn't as good simply because it didn't live up to the high standard that had been set throughout the short season--I felt like they created this white guy villain, made of cardboard, just to give BL and his family something to defeat at the end of the season, when the real adversaries were sidelined for next season.

I hated ARROW's whole arc with the heroes constantly fighting each other. The execution of the finale wasn't bad, I just didn't care what happened. SUPERGIRL was badly executed, but I cared more about the story. It's just that this story could have been wrapped up much sooner and a lot of the episodes felt like they were tacked on to the season just to fill the episode requirement. But it could have easily been an 18 episode season.

The only one I've seen in its' entirety is Supergirl. I've watched bits and pieces of the others. That being said...

1. Legends. As I said in the Supergirl thread, what does it say about the state of these shows that the best finale included a 50 foot Beebo Kung-Fu fighting a flying time demon?

2. Arrow. Good fight scenes, a telegraphed but emotional death, and a decent wrap up to a bad season that at least lets me like the newbies again, somewhat.

3. Supergirl. Lots of good moments ruined by piss-poor CGI (I'm guessing they blew the VFX budget early and had to scrape together what they could for the finale. That explosion on Argo last episode was horrible as well). We get a nice send-off for Winn, Alex gets promoted (making me wonder if Chyler also wanted a reduced schedule next season), J'onn is going to channel is inner David Carradine, and Kara looses her man again (and apparently Chris Wood isn't coming back next season) but is content to live on Earth. That said, these last few episodes felt rushed as hell, like they were trying to throw out everything they wanted to do in case they were canceled. No interaction between Alura and Alex was a bummer. And Kara apparating into Siberia makes me wonder if they will to to adapt Superman: Red Son next season, or if they will be sticking with her New52 origin and make the new Kara Power Girl (and if they do that, is it wrong that I want them to pad her costume?).

4. Black Lightning. Haven't watched it yet- I plan to binge the show in a few weeks. But I bet it was heads and tails over...

5. The Flash. Meh ending to a truly terrible year. Glad we got Dibny back, and that he'll be a regular. And Nora Allen has hooked me for next season, so that's a plus.

Retired

You wouldn't want the other shows to be anything like LEGENDS. They should each satisfy the dictates of their own story.

The LEGENDS finale was good, because it was consistent with the tone that the series had throughout the third season. And it rewarded viewers by pulling on all the strings that threaded through the other episodes. You had characters show up from those episodes, there were references to the events of those stories (like what happened with Stein), and it felt like the creators listened to the fans and gave us what we wanted, plus so much more.

The one thing I would have added was a tiny Atom sitting on the shoulder of Beebo in that big fight scene. But I can understand that they only had so much to go around for all the visual effects.

The reason the other series failed in their finales--to the extent that they did--was because they did all those wrong moves. They weren't as consistent with the tone of their respective seasons--which for some series is understandable because they had shifted tone so often, it gave the viewers whip lash. They didn't reward the viewers that had watched every episode by paying off that investment with some satisfying scenes. They forgot about characters established in earlier episodes and left plot threads dangling.

And I'd say that they all felt rushed--even LEGENDS--to varying degrees. SUPERGIRL and BLACK LIGHTNING felt the most off their game. Like they were trying to wrap things up as best they could by sticking the scenes together with scotch tape. FLASH and ARROW weren't as bad, because it seemed like this is the ending the producers had in mind. But it's how they got there that was the problem. Maybe the producers should have kept their eye on the episodes leading up to their finales for Barry and Ollie, so the final episodes would seem like a natural outcome of everything that happened.

I can understand why, with their shooting schedules and all the obstacles along the way, the shows come off this way. But I wish they had the luxury of figuring out the whole season first, so they could polish up the stories.

Amazing Member

Legends by far. Funny how this show has gotten better over time and the others worse.

Legends really is its own thing. Its about the only show you can get away with the Beebo fight, and it still be awesome. Kind of hard to really put in the same category as the others, but it was still awesome.

Black Lightning. A great family dynamic, overcame the rogue agency, and had a satisfying conclusion, while still having plenty for next season.

Flash. Kind of a mess at the end, especially with Mrs. Thinker getting off scott free despite being an accomplice to multiple murders. But the ending was fun, and had a good setup for next season.

Arrow. Honestly, a mess all season, and the end wasn't much better. I was actually at the point where I wouldn't have minded if NTA was all killed off, with Zoe staying with Ollie and his family or something. Hopefully the new showrunners will have their shit together next season, after this trainwreck.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Black Lightning by far, then maybe the Flash.
    Wait what?

No, the season was great, but that episode felt like a penultimate episode more than anything else.

Mine would be

- Supergirl
    - Legends
    - Arrow
    - Flash
    - Black Lightning

Incredible Member

1.Legends

2.Arrow

3.Supergirl

4.The Flash

5.Black Lightning

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    My ratings for their finales

1) DC Legends of Tomorrow
    2) Arrow
    3) Supergirl
    4) Flash
    5) Black Lightning
    To give my choices some reasoning.

1) DC Legends really is just tops. Lots of fun characterization and interesting plots if not silly as all hell at times. And can you really hate Helen of Troy as an Amazon?
    2) Arrow. Not a very high pedestal for it's #2 ranking but it had a relatively solid finale and set up for the next season. Even if it had things I found ridiculous in it like Quentin's death. Or the show acting like we're supposed to care about Black Siren or New Team Arrow.
    3) Supergirl's finale was fairly straight forward. It'd be higher if the show and episode could actually decide what they wanted to focus on. It was EVERYWHERE.
    4) Flash and Supergirl are semi flippable to me but Flash's episode didn't have much of anything working for it. Bringing back Ralph was great but it doesn't really change anything regarding the whole threat of the Thinker and by the end of the episode the seasons Big Bad left no impression on seemingly anyone or anything. At least it finally gave us the answer to Mystery Girl.
    5) For what may have been the best SHOW of the season Black Lightning's writers seemed to aim at not making a typical season conclusion. By which I mean...they didn't seem to make one at all. This was easily an episode that thematically felt like it could've been a middle of a season episode made to pad air time. If I didn't know it was the finale I'd be watching next week wondering where the next episode was. Part of me honestly wonders if the first season was written to be twice as long and we really are writing wise only at the end of the first half of a shows season and the writers decided to leave it as is.

Retired

I think this season of BLACK LIGHTNING had the advantage that the creators pretty much figured out the whole storyline before most of the episodes were shot, so they could pace it out very well--and they didn't have to pad episodes to fill out a 23 episode season. But the last half of the finale seemed like they pulled it out of their butt--like maybe they didn't really plan for that to be where the season was going to end.

I wish I had stopped watching ARROW with season 5. That season managed to somewhat redeem the show after the horrible 3 and 4 and it ended with a bang. Everybody dies except Ollie and Will. Perfect. All the scenery chewing fights between characters in season 7 were a pain to watch. The one character I continued to enjoy was Quentin--and he . . .

People seem to forget all the good stuff that happened on FLASH this season--watching compilation videos of funny scenes reminded me that they had a lot of great moments. I've also watched several reaction videos to the finale and Barry's big scene where he zooms to save the world from the satellite gets an enthusiastic reaction from everyone.