Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

LOL. I'm glad, I'm not the only one who read the thread as 'Ollie in a dress'.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Black View Post
    You must be new to the character.
    Not at all. Read and enjoyed hundreds of Green Arrow stories.

But I don’t think GA fits all that well in modern DC stories, or DC has that much to lose by trying something different with him.

There’s a ton of non metas that insist on handicapping themselves in Bat family alone. Not essential for Ollie to do that as well.

Is Trey wrong, and GA is selling so well that all real change must be outlawed?

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Well, I'm loving his MOS at the moment, as I did his U. Spider-Man, Daredevil, and Defenders.
    I read a few issues of Bendis' New Avengers run from back in +/-2011 where the team was constantly eating and talking at the breakfast table in Avengers Mansion.
    Then there was the fight where Mockingbird was shot in the chest while the group was fighting Superia, but it took several issues for them to do anything about it because Bendis (with Howard Chaykin) was using about half of each issue on an "Avengers 1959" story with a team of Nick Fury, Dum-Dum Dugan, Kraven The Hunter, Sabretooth, Dominic Fortune, Namora, Ulysses Bloodstone, and Ernst Sablinova (present-day female Silver Sable's father).

feh!

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I read a few issues of Bendis' New Avengers run from back in +/-2011 where the team was constantly eating and talking at the breakfast table in Avengers Mansion.
    Then there was the fight where Mockingbird was shot in the chest while the group was fighting Superia, but it took several issues for them to do anything about it because Bendis (with Howard Chaykin) was using about half of each issue on an "Avengers 1959" story with a team of Nick Fury, Dum-Dum Dugan, Kraven The Hunter, Sabretooth, Dominic Fortune, Namora, Ulysses Bloodstone, and Ernst Sablinova (present-day female Silver Sable's father).

Sympathy.

I bailed out, after reading first trade. Thankfully, took it out of library rather than parted with cash.

Ultimate Member

Amazon numbers on the trade for those who wondered.

Green Arrow volume 1 (book not Kindle numbers)
    #76 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > DC
    #246 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Graphic Novels > Superheroes

Volume 2
    #140 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > DC
    #399 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Graphic Novels > Superheroes

Volume 3
    #175 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > DC
    #494 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Graphic Novels > Superheroes

Volume 4
    #749 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > DC
    #2348 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Graphic Novels > Superheroes

Volume 5
    #119 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > DC
    #351 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Graphic Novels > Superheroes

For the most part on Amazon-the trades are doing WAY better than the Kindle numbers. While volume is in the 2000k in trades. Digital all the book are in the 5000 & up rankings.

Excluding volume 4-this is a top 150 seller for DC titles and a top 500 overall.

He's in better shape than Deathstroke & Cyborg however trails Titans (of ALL books) and even Marvel's Gwenpool who has a volume that beats 3 of the 5 Arrow trades.

So it depends on who you are comparing him to.

Extraordinary Member

Bendis generally shines the brightest on solo books or street level characters. There is literally nothing in his Daredevil run that doesn't make me think he could do wonders for GA. And his take on Luke Cage during his run on New Avengers during Civil War and the immediate aftermath makes me think he can handle the social justice aspects of the character perfectly.

Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Amazon numbers on the trade for those who wondered.

Green Arrow volume 1 (book not Kindle numbers)
    #76 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > DC
    #246 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Graphic Novels > Superheroes

Volume 2
    #140 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > DC
    #399 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Graphic Novels > Superheroes

Volume 3
    #175 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > DC
    #494 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Graphic Novels > Superheroes

Volume 4
    #749 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > DC
    #2348 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Graphic Novels > Superheroes

Volume 5
    #119 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > DC
    #351 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Graphic Novels > Superheroes

For the most part on Amazon-the trades are doing WAY better than the Kindle numbers. While volume is in the 2000k in trades. Digital all the book are in the 5000 & up rankings.

Excluding volume 4-this is a top 150 seller for DC titles and a top 500 overall.

He's in better shape than Deathstroke & Cyborg however trails Titans (of ALL books) and even Marvel's Gwenpool who has a volume that beats 3 of the 5 Arrow trades.

So it depends on who you are comparing him to.
    Rankings are meaningless. Number of copies sold give us actual quantitative metrics to work with. Sells more than Cyborg is useless unless we know WHAT those numbers are. These are the numbers DC works with and why it's silly for any of us to think we can do better without access to the data they have.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

feh!
    I read this and the spin-off. I literally have no memory of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I read this and the spin-off. I literally have no memory of the story.
    I thought that was suppose to be typical for Bendis?

Isn't GA about to get a new creative team? That's the first step in helping a title out. I also like the idea of him being around the Justice League more, that would help some.

And I haven't read any of this current run so I might be talking out my arse here, but I never seem to hear much from the title as far as, a really big important story. Maybe they've done that already which would mean it didn't work. But every now and then a big story that feels like it really means something can get good outside attention. Maybe not Scott Snyder this is the biggest most epic story of his history so far big, but something.

Just hear me out here...

1. Bring Ollie back as a full Justice League member.

2. Have him team up with one of the Green Lanterns in the GL books for a story arc.

3. Redo his origin in a special mini with a decent writer and artist team.

4. Have his book be more of a team book with Black Canary.

Edit - 5. More techy trick arrows.
    Last edited by Vakanai; 06-19-2018 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Bendis generally shines the brightest on solo books or street level characters. There is literally nothing in his Daredevil run that doesn't make me think he could do wonders for GA. And his take on Luke Cage during his run on New Avengers during Civil War and the immediate aftermath makes me think he can handle the social justice aspects of the character perfectly.

Thats the issue that me love Luke Cage
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Give the book to Tom Scioli.

That OR bring in Ed Brubaker.

Astonishing Member

The Percy run was good enough and concentrated enough that I'm very interested in getting it collected, that said - it was always going to be a hard book to sustain, even if it remained critically pretty good. Transitioning to a new team is fine and all, but a book like G.A. is never going to stay afloat just from a creative team change, and going from a really solid run with good stories, they would have needed to switch to a big flashy a-list type creative team announcement. Which is still an option, after all, more often these days they get a creative team to finish out a volume but keep the book "alive" and the property "current" (and usually do a lot of crossing over into big universal events) while a big Relaunch # 1 is prepped with a flashy big creative team attached to it down the line shortly.

A spiffy RELAUNCH # 1 with a flashy new creative team would be just fine for Green Arrow, would probably bump sales more than just continuing the numbering, give a writer a whole new volume to call their own, make their own, put their own spin on.

As for what I'd do personally with the book itself, it's a toughie because the previous run covered so much ground and did so much melding and meshing and integrating with classic Golden Age, O'Neil era, Grell era, and T.V. show era concepts. It laid a strong baseline for what a Green Arrow comic should be. I mean I'd probably go all out and do a SUPERMAX storyline because why wouldn't you. Maybe even start that way and go from there, and get a little weird with it. A little Kirby. I don't want to go full-Morrison and just bring in the old International Green Arrows Guild or whatever they were, though doing more dramatic updates of those characters could be interesting instead of just bringing them up-to-date in canon like the Batmen/Club of Heroes.

More likely though, I'd just flip the script, and Eighty-Six the Green Arrow book but launch a Black Canary book where she's the lead and he's the supporting role love interest. She'd still be Star City-based, or Seattle-based, or whatever. The G.A. supporting cast would still be featured. But it'd be first and foremost a Canary book. With a return to the Punk Rock aesthetic (if not the art style, exactly.)

And I'd get Mitch Gerads.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

In his longest solo run, the Mike Grell run of blessed memory, he wasn’t a super hero. He was a tough guy adventurer.

It might be worth going back to that with a modern spin. DC has brought back multiverse, but done very little with it, really. Have Ollie explore some parts of it. He might well fit really well into a medieval world, and/or learn some new useful skills in high tech worlds.