Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    There are some people who will say, "I like this comic the way it is now, and I don't care that it's not selling. I'd rather it not be published than to be changed in any way."

Now if you're Dan DiDio or Jim Lee, how would that argument sound to you? Wouldn't it sound like those folks were saying, "This not about your stockholders! Where did you get such a crazy idea as that? This is about MEEEEEEEEE!"
    Maybe the way it's written is not the issue.

As we have seen-you got folks who take issue with who is on the cover. And will complain all day long without reading a single issue.

We had folks not buy Batman because of Duke. We are almost 50 issues in and all his appearances in Batman wouldn't fill up 2 issues let alone a trade. Yet that perception of hate still took sales from the book no matter how small.

Could GA suffer from the Motor Crush bias? Image's Motor Crush-had certain stores not order it over the fact it was about a black woman. Some choose bias over profit as the book had a second printing and trades sold rather well on Amazon.

How about one finds out what are the outside the story issues that are hurting sales before we change the book.

Because you don't want New 52 Static Shock to happen-where fixing something that did not need fixing got you a badly done book and an editor-whose rep is bad as every book he has done has failed. Including a certain "cyborg" in the League.

BANNED

I'm not so sure that Ollie's politics sell the comics. I think they might have the opposite effect.

I'm not so sure that Ollie's politics sell the comics. I think they might have the opposite effect.
    I guess for me they can. I guess in terms of my ideal GA comic, it goes:

GA comic that uses his politics seriously and sincerely
    GA comics that doesn't use his politics at all
    GA comic that uses his politics as shallow window dressing

However, there is a market for wish fulfillment, and we've seen different forms of media take advantage of that. I think it would be worth a try.

Invincible Member

@Trey. I don't know about that. Despite the fact that most comics fans would describe Green Arrow as a liberal, the politics that are in the comic are actually pretty mild. And it's kinda funny the guys who rant about "SJWs" in comics have been rather mild ( if/when they've commented at all) regarding Ollie who called himself as a SWJ on panel.

His lack of sales really come down to the particularities of the modern market...

But then again, with our current President of the United States, who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    @Trey. I don't know about that. Despite the fact that most comics fans would describe Green Arrow as a liberal, the politics that are in the comic are actually pretty mild. And it's kinda funny the guys who rant about "SJWs" in comics have been rather mild ( if/when they've commented at all) regarding Ollie who called himself as a SWJ on panel.

His lack of sales really come down to the particularities of the modern market...
    So as a liberal, this is why I no longer read the comic. It just felt like window dressing.

Ultimate Member

To KNOW that one has to TRY the book.

This is not Marvel where books get attacked without anyone reading them.

The few issue of Arrow I have read in general-that wouldn't deter me from trying him at a later date. Expect for that Percy arc with the killer robots that only targeted black males (or it seemed like they were the only targets).

Agreed. Agreeing with a fictional character's viewpoints doesn't mean those viewpoints are a draw.

That said, I do think Ollie's views are a valid part of the character, and can inform the tone of stories periodically. Especially when his impassioned liberalism smacks up against his inherent flaws.

The Annual was sold out at a lot of comic shops, are you figuring that in?

The new team is bringing a fresh, and hopefully better, look to the book. They write Ollie and Dinah's relationship much better than Percy did, and that's sure to help. BoP readers will hopefully follow Black Canary and the creative team to GA's book, so that should help. What would really help is if comics would buy more than just what they need for their customer's pull lists. Gone are the days of just picking up a random comic because it looked interesting and getting hooked on it.