Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

I could not make up my mind between the cover I posted and this one, so I tossed a coin...

from 1942:

"How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Congratulations to nx01a for a powerful cover. I don't think it's a surprise to many of us that Kirby's strengths lie in his ideas and his creative abilities. The youth of the face is evident as is the emotions being felt. This is an amazing piece of work and even moreso because the work is atypical Kirby. The subtleties in the art make the cover and subtlety is not what we equate with Jack Kirby. Damn, I didn't think I could like Kirby more than I did, but these covers were all extraordinary.

As to what the captain has learned this week, he's gained a wider knowledge of Jack Kirby's bibliography and has a greater appreciation for what the King meant to the comics world. We owe Jack a lot.

And a belated thank you to Raffi Ol D'Arcy for their vote.
    Last edited by CaptCleghorn; 06-27-2018 at 11:01 AM.

Congrats nx01a!

And thanks PaulBullion for the vote. Your cover was interesting, the style was very reminiscent of Bill Willingham.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Hey , my lesson learned...DO NO VOTE...it is rigged! I am over it!

Good luck with the next contest...because I will NOT participate! So ironic that the same people keep re-winning based upon status!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Good luck with the next contest...because I will NOT participate! So ironic that the same people keep re-winning based upon status!
    I almost never win, but it's still fun to play. I actually don't consider this forum to be so much of a "competition" as a "game", where we enjoy sharing unusual covers or obscure ones that we know won't garner many (or any) votes but that still a lot of fun to search for and then share.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    [IMG]https://www.lambiek.net/artists/image/k/kirby_j/kirby_foxhole.jpg[IMG]
    The King drew an amalgamation of Michael Beihn and Sebastian Stan that many decades ago.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Woohoo two votes for the New Guy! Thanks!

I think I can speak for everyone here. We vote for the cover we like. Period. Not the poster, the cover. And part of the fun is seeing which cover wins. It is often not one I think is the top 5. But that's what makes it interesting.
    You got two votes for your cover, better than most, but the point of the game is to share covers of artist we love with one another. I mean the award is just to set up the next contest. Nobody is keeping score.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

That's not the way things are IMO. It can be streaky....last week I got 5 votes, this week a shut out. But there's always going to be another contest to try, try again.

If the same people win more frequently, it's because they are the ones who provide the best covers.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    If the same people win more frequently, it's because they are the ones who provide the best covers.
    Seriously... nx01a copies off of me, posting basically a similar cover from the same title and wins...and a lesser depiction to boot!!?? BLAH..BLAH..I AM DONE HERE!!!!

Seriously... nx01a copies off of me, posting basically a similar cover from the same title and wins...and a lesser depiction to boot!!?? BLAH..BLAH..I AM DONE HERE!!!!
    Nobody copied off of you. One more person liked his Foxhole cover than liked yours. There are 3 or 4 Sandman covers here. I've lost plenty of times to others who posted covers for the same comic series, it's just what gets the votes.

But if you aren't happy with the contest as it is, your loss.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Nobody copied off of you. One more person liked his Foxhole cover than liked yours. There are 3 or 4 Sandman covers here. I've lost plenty of times to others who posted covers for the same comic series, it's just what gets the votes.

But if you aren't happy with the contest as it is, your loss.
    Yep,this is the reason...what you said...as long as you agree! LOL,no reason to EVER participate again IMO. I AM DONE!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Bryan; 06-27-2018 at 02:29 PM.

I got ZERO votes, so you got 2 more votes than I did. You don't see me making an issue [Okay, yeah I kinda did once before, but I got better]. You either play, or you don't. There are still more than enough players in the game to keep it going.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.