Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Amazing Spider-Man Issue 801 Thoughts

So we come to an end of an era with this issue being Dan Slott last. What are your thoughts about it for me it was a pretty good one especially the conversation with the little girl.

BANNED

The call back to BND was nice, not my favorite era but works perfectly with tying Slott's run back to the arc where it started.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

I liked it, the plot was a pretty cliche type of bystander perspective story but Dan executed really well on this one. I kinda wish it had been a bit more Spider-Man specific, but overall it was a pretty great final issue for his run. I really hope we see some Spider-Man guest appearances in Iron Man, or, even better, Fantastic Four, so Slott gets a chance to write a bit more of Spider-Man. I'm really not ready for Spencer to ruin Spider-Man in 2 weeks...
    Last edited by blackspidey2099; 06-20-2018 at 07:13 AM.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

BANNED

A good issue, but not as insightful as I had hoped. Seems to me that most of the observations made about Spider-Man in this issue could have been made about almost any other street-level superhero, all of whom go around saving civilians on a daily basis - Slott should have found a way to make a story more specific to Peter Parker, his particular ethos and 'responsibility' mantra.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

It was ok, I hope we see Slott continue writing the character some day sorta like how Snyder wrote all star batman after he finished his run with Capullo.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    It was ok, I hope we see Slott continue writing the character some day sorta like how Snyder wrote all star batman after he finished his run with Capullo.
    Agreed. I think Spidey being a recurring character on F4 would be great, especially since Slott writes Spider-Man/Fantastic Four team-ups better than anyone else. But a separate book would be cool as well.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

I just want to say...

...thank you. Thank you, Mr. Slott for all these years of Spider-Man.

Yeah, I think that covers it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I just want to say...

...thank you. Thank you, Mr. Slott for all these years of Spider-Man.

Yeah, I think that covers it.
    That Judy and Uncle Ken seem to be another version of Peter and Uncle Ben. Makes me wonder if Ken will get shot and Judy becomes Spider girl/ woman.

Thought it was a very touching, thoughtful, and well thought out issue. Shows why Spider-Man is one of Marvels greatest heroes. Sure he can save the world, but what makes him great is he does take the time to watch over and care for the average man too.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    That Judy and Uncle Ken seem to be another version of Peter and Uncle Ben. Makes me wonder if Ken will get shot and Judy becomes Spider girl/ woman.
    maybe in spidergeddon from an alternate timeline

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    Thought it was a very touching, thoughtful, and well thought out issue. Shows why Spider-Man is one of Marvels greatest heroes. Sure he can save the world, but what makes him great is he does take the time to watch over and care for the average man too.
    I agree with you one hundred percent

Incredible Member

Beautiful issue all around.

The last page nearly did bring a tear to my eye. The idea of Spider-Man having always been there for me, and continuing to do so, is quite powerful. (Assuming Dan meant the character in general, and not just the creators, specifically, as the afterword potentially implies. But either way, it works, I suppose)

Now, one element of the story, which I'm not sure was intentional, is the realization that Peter is missing out on most of these moments that the story praises. Being there for the good times and the bad. For us, as readers, he certainly is. Yet, the whole crux of the Spidey story is the fact that he keeps having to balance these responsibilities, which his loved ones seem to pay the price for, often. While Spidey is out here for all of us, those close to him may feel let down. Part of the inherit tragedy of being Spider-Man. Maybe it doesn't need to be stated.

Anyway, great job, Dan!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    Thought it was a very touching, thoughtful, and well thought out issue. Shows why Spider-Man is one of Marvels greatest heroes.
    Agreed. This was a perfect note for Slott to close out on.

You could hand this issue to someone who's never read a single issue of Spidey and they'd be able to appreciate it.

And for longtime fans, it's a wonderful evergreen encapsulation of what makes the characters so important and so loved.

A solid issue with a nice call back; 2.5 out of 5 stars (remember I'm very stingy with my ratings).
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Fantastic Member

This issue just frustrated me, as there's always these "fly on the wall" perspective issues that Slott just absolutely delivers on. Yet, all his attempts to change Peters status quo all flopped, outside of new characters. It's mind boggling, but we'll see what happens going forward.