Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    I can see why many liked this issue. Very pretty art, but

Here we have an Xmen wedding, a superpowered wedding, and all that entails leaving room for all kinds of highjinx, and what does Guggenheim give us?

Every damn wedding cliche you can think. Just uninspired crap/pap

The best man forgets the ring, haha, oh what a clever and wacky incident
    The bride gets emotional and ruins her makeup, THAT HAPPENS IN ALMOST EVERY WEDDING!!!

Bobby, jokes that Peter is a, and I quote (puts on reading glasses, looks at page) “dead man walking.” Haha no one ever makes that joke!

Are rabbis allowed at the rehearsal dinners? So why is she meeting everyone for the first time at the wedding?

Logan is watching from the Book Depositary for some reason. Why is he in hiding? Oh right, we have 4 miniseries we need to sell.

Kittys, I’m sorry I can’t do this, also a cliche in every Young and the Restless.

Anyway, lots of nitpicks I know, but we should expect eXtraordinary events at Xmen weddings. I enjoyed the rest of the dialogue tho, esp. illayan.

Storm’s dress was also strange on her, she’s not a Dallas socialite.

Maybe Laby Mastermind was hanging out by the porta potties?
    You pretty much explained why I disliked the issue with all of the above. It's made worse that person who proposed is the one who could not go through with the wedding. How about not ruining a wedding, wasting everyone time and break Colossus heart. So they offer us another wedding pairing of Gambit and Rogue you want to put a bet that either one cannot commit or is not ready to be in a relationship as the Marvel writers seem to hate writing married couples for very long imo. The sapd part in ten years if not earlier Marvel will try and write them getting together and married again.
    Last edited by sureshot; 06-22-2018 at 05:53 AM.
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

Havok and Emma were right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Does anyone have a scan of Kitty's hand phasing through the ring?
    Untitled.jpg

Despite my intense dislike of this series....this issue was decent and balanced. Did KT ghost write it LOL

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
    ...Marvel writers seem to hate writing married couples for very long imo.
    This is the truth. I've heard many a writer say things along those lines. How marriage doesn't work and its not interesting. Typically from single and divorced men. In their minds being married somehow changes the character as if for some reason they can do less. I can understand if they were having characters hook up left and right but that's not typically the case. Well they did seem to pass Rogue around every couple years... But romance hasn't been Marvel's thing for a long time. The change in 30 wasn't based on narrative, I believe it was a lack of confidence in the original plan. For goodness sake they called it the "wedding of the century". C'mon we're using rose colored glasses. I've been around as long as the rest of you. They've barely been together. The 80s they had something of inappropriate relationship, in Excalibur they were kind of together but you can say the same about her and Pete Wisdom. Colossus came back to the X-Men, she didn't. You can count AoA (but you shouldn't seeing as he killed her by accident). He was here for years up until he died. He was gone until Whedon, they got back together but not heavily. AvX happened and he got drunk on power weirded her out. They broke up, she got with Bobby, he with Domino. Then she got engaged to Starlord (WTH was that?) before coming back in Gold which brings us to now. We're talking about huge gaps in time. This was not all that strong either. I can argue that R/G just came off of a 5 part mini, but Kitty and Colossus just had 29 issues of development. It's not fair. Especially to the readers of Gold that were sold this.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

BANNED

Guggs broke up Kitty and Star-Lord for no real reason so ultimately this is just karma.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Guggs broke up Kitty and Star-Lord for no real reason so ultimately this is just karma.
    Kitty and Star-Lord were never going to stay together. That relationship was going to last as long as Kitty was staying in the GotG book. Them breaking up was inevitable.

And it wasn't Guggs who broke them up iirc.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rivka View Post
    Yes. Thank you. Marvel made this decision because they could. It was irresponsible from a business point of view. It was unfair to fans of GOLD, it was unfair to fans of Kitty and Colossus, and yes, despite the womp-womp of excited Romy fans, it was really unfair to them too. It had nothing to do with how many fans showed up in CBR forum X-MEN GOLD threads each month. In fact, I kick myself now because I didn't post enough the last year. I paid $3.99 for this comic book each month and I like GOLD fine! But I didn't feel like posting each month in a place where fans were dumping on Guggenheim--it was a real pile-on, and a turn-off for fans of GOLD. Criticism is fine, and some of GOLD's criticism was well deserved. But it went way overboard. What do pros tell us to do? Read the book, enjoy the book, live in the world of the book, don't pay any attention to the fandom cliques online. So I did.

Do I think Kitty is bi? Yes, I do. Do I think she should have married Piotr? I don't know--it would have been an amazing story, how she's in denial of her true feelings--traditional background, wants to get married to a man like she was taught to do. (That's why she was the aggressive partner, being the one to propose.) Did I think Guggenheim would go through with the wedding? No, I expected a last minute twist. Did I expect Rogue and Gambit--two characters that (TO ME) are garbage together, who I avoid like the plague when they're together--to jump in and steal my GOLD story that I paid many $$ for and followed loyally? No, I never would have thought Marvel could be that crass and irresponsible. I always say, you don't like a character, don't read the book and don't go into "appreciation" threads and post hate. I try to be like that. But Marvel/the X-Office threw Romy into my GOLD book, a book that didn't feature them at all, and hijacked the wedding, and (TO ME) it was annoying as hell.

I've already ranted enough about how ruinous it is to Rogue and Gambit as characters. Let their fans deal with the fallout. To people who like their marriage, all I can say is, be careful what you wish for. All I care about now is, keep Romy out of my face, Marvel. Do not hijack comics that I pay a LOT of money for, again. Do not waste my money and my time again. (Show me one comic with Rogue or Gambit in it that outsold GOLD each month. I may be wrong, but I don't think there is one.)

I understand why the Storm fans, or Magik fans, or fans of the supporting cast of GOLD were unhappy, and they have a right to post each month about GOLD because they feel their favorites were neglected. Think about it -- people post more often when they're unhappy (like me now), than when they're satisfied. I was satisfied with GOLD, I was satisfied with Kitty's portrayal as a fan, and I didn't like all the griping and attacks against the writer, so I didn't post as often as I should have. It doesn't mean I didn't like what was happening in the book, it doesn't mean I wasn't buying the book.

Guggenheim is a good writer, I've enjoyed GOLD very much. Kitty Pryde is one of my favorite characters, so are Magik and Storm. Maybe now Marc can finish out his Kitty story like he intended.

Yeah, I thought X-Men Gold was good but I encountered a lot of Gold haters in this forum.

Yet, I still posted my opinions in this forum, I wish this forum has more fans like you.

Marvel hijacked Gold and made Kitty look terrible and irresponsible.

The reason for the last minute decision was so lame, and after so many issues of her wanting do die when Colossus life was in danger and after so many sex sessions with him.

I am not against Remy and Rogue getting married but they should get married in a proper way with their own bachelor and bachelorette parties etc.

BANNED

It was kind of shitty that Kitty didn't even speak to her MOTHER of all people after she disappeared from the altar. Did she leave out of disappointment?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Kitty and Star-Lord were never going to stay together. That relationship was going to last as long as Kitty was staying in the GotG book. Them breaking up was inevitable.

And it wasn't Guggs who broke them up iirc.
    They were happy together in Bendis' book (after a short break-up), then nothing for a long time (because Bendis was doing solo issues), then Prime started and Guggs had Kitty say Quill was a horrible mistake. Then a month after that, Bendis had them break up in a much more respectable way. Duggan likes having Kitty cameo in his books so I doubt he would've minded an excuse to have her guest star once in a while. Meanwhile, Guggs needed to do THE WEDDING OF THE CENTURY.

A long distance relationship between two characters who are on different teams and live different lives is a more interesting thing to explore than marrying your childhood sweetheart.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
    You pretty much explained why I disliked the issue with all of the above. It's made worse that person who proposed is the one who could not go through with the wedding. How about not ruining a wedding, wasting everyone time and break Colossus heart. So they offer us another wedding pairing of Gambit and Rogue you want to put a bet that either one cannot commit or is not ready to be in a relationship as the Marvel writers seem to hate writing married couples for very long imo. The sapd part in ten years if not earlier Marvel will try and write them getting together and married again.
    Gugg said it was Marvel editors pressure on him and not his original plan....

So Gugg isn't the one to blame for this mess.

The true tragedy of this situation if that Logan's first OTP didn't happen, he would be dissapointed when he finally comes back .

Just re-read Gold 1-30. The book when dealing with Kitty and Piotr's relationship, focuses largely on their positive feelings they have for each other and ignores all the failures. It isn't until the wedding issue that Kitty and Piotr start to look back on the all the missteps in their relationship\history. 29 issues and the only part of their troubled history raised is Piotr not looking at Kitty as girlfriend material when they first met is because she was so young. And Piotr's "proposal-non proposal" coming so soon after her failed engagement to Quill, I was thinking he is setting him self up for failure as the rebound guy. All signs were there that spelled trouble. I think their rekindled romance was hurt by being part of a team book, which already had a heavy focus on Kitty.

Over in Gambit's and Rogue's 5 issue mini-series the ground work was laid much better for a possible future wedding. The plot centers around a couples retreat with relationship counseling. They vent about their troubled history, get a first hand glimpse inside each others' heads about how strongly they feel for each other and the hurt they caused each other. They come out of it stronger as a couple, and strong hints that a wedding would come eventually.

I don't know if it was because the mini while short compared to Gold's run was focused solely on Gambit& Rogue, or that KT is better at reconciling a couple's troubled history than Gugg, but it laid a better foundation for the "surprise" outcome of Gold #30, than 29 issues did for the "expected" outcome.
    Last edited by MikaelNovasun; 06-22-2018 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    The true tragedy of this situation if that Logan's first OTP didn't happen, he would be dissapointed when he finally comes back .
    Well at least one of his daughter figures tied the knot that day so he’ll just shrug it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Well at least one of his daughter figures tied the knot that day so he’ll just shrug it off.
    My reading of the X-Men is full of holes, but i'm pretty sure that in the comics Rogue wasn't a daugther figure to him, if anything i think that he saw both Gambit and her as friends more than anything else (then again i never thougth of Logan as a father figure toward anybody).

I'm sure that he will be happy for Remy and Ane thougth.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    My reading of the X-Men is full of holes, but i'm pretty sure that in the comics Rogue wasn't a daugther figure to him, if anything i think that he saw both Gambit and her as friends more than anything else (then again i never thougth of Logan as a father figure toward anybody).

I'm sure that he will be happy for Remy and Ane thougth.
    When she first joined the X-men he was the first one to give her a chance to prove herself. Due in part because the rest of the team with the exception of Ororo had been hospitalized by poison. His mentoring took its typical form of fighting Yakuza, samurai, ninjas and Lady Viper.

Quote Originally Posted by MikaelNovasun View Post
    When she first joined the X-men he was the first one to give her a chance to prove herself. Due in part because the rest of the team with the exception of Ororo had been hospitalized by poison. His mentoring took its typical form of fighting Yakuza, samurai, ninjas and Lady Viper.
    Oh i know that, is right after his first mini when he was going to marry Mariko (damm you Mastermind!!!), althougth unlile Kitty or Jubilee she wasn't really his sidekick.