Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default X-Men Gold #30 Recap/Review *spoilers*

First four pages are the ones from the preview.

Magik takes Kitty up to the roof of Harry's to get drunk. Magik tells Kitty her and Piotr shouldn't get married because their relationship is a fucking joke. Okay, she doesn't say it quite like that, because Guggs writers her quite poorly, but it's pretty much the jist of it. If Kitty and Piotr were meant for one another, they would've gotten hitched long ago. There's no gay subtext here for those who were hoping for it, but Yana does say she loves Kitty.

At the wedding preparations, Kurt tells Piotr he's going to propose to Rachel, which is one of the most baffling story developments in a run full of them. Meanwhile, Stevie is doing Kitty's makeup. Kitty says she hates mascara and makeup, so her doing it for for Magik in Dead Souls last week should've been a big tell for Yana that things weren't quite as they seemed. Kitty hugs Storm, Stevie and her mom, the women who raised her (let's just forget Stevie all but dissappeared from comics somewhere in 1983). As the parade leaves for the wedding grounds, Logan looks on, glad that his OTP is finally setting sail.

At the wedding, Storm makes the weather nice while Magik still feels like ****. Girl, just own it instead of this weeping. Rogue and Gambit flirt around (won't lead to anything I'm sure) while Jeen and Tyke are freaked out about the fact they got married right her as well. Kurt forgot the rings. In case for those wondering: Kurt is best man and Magik is maid of honor (suck it Rachel).

Kitty is walked down the aisle by her born again feminist mom and I feel the need to point out that Kitty's wearing a different dress than the one on all those variants lol. The rabbi tells the story of Kitty and Piotr's love, which is just a long list of disasters, and the ring ceremony begins. Kitty puts the ring on Piotr, but when Piotr tries to put the ring on Kitty, SHE PHASES THROUGH IT. Then she says she can't go through with the wedding and phases through the ground. LMAO. Rougemort 2018! And perhaps the best editorially mandated interference since the last time editorial decided Kitty and Colossus needed to be broken up. Anyway, Piotr is a liiiiiittle embarassed and asks Kurt to teleport him away.

At the not-so wedding reception, Ink appears! FINALLY! Watch out Jubilee fans, he might make a move on her! There's a kind of fun page with Rachel and the Jeans too where they feel out all the pain. Also our lovely goatlady still feels like **** instead of just admitting she likes kitties.

Piotr finds Kitty at the place where he broke up with her all those years ago, and Kitty explains that while she loves him and the had good times, their history is basically straight garbage and they probably shouldn't marry ever. Back at the reception, Storm says it's better to break up now than realize you're not meant for each other years down the line. Storm is of course an expert on this since she ended up fighting her husband in a hero vs hero event. Storm continues to talk about how marriage requires serious conviction, which inspires one half of a relationship whose ups and downs are an even bigger dumpster fire than Kitty and Piotr's to propose to his lady love. Of course, Gambit probably also knew that he shouldn't let the opportunity for a free wedding go to waste.

So in take two of the WEDDING OF THE CENTURY, Anna Marie Sookie and Remy LeBoyo tie the knot, with Kurt and Iceman being Rogue's bridesmaids and Storm and X-23 being Gambit's groomsmen. And so the gentiles are wed without their wedding licenses by a rabbi. Just as it was always foretold.

Now somebody check up on the writer who spent 35 years living up to the wedding of Kitty and Colossus, and who would've gotten away with it too if it wasn't for those meddling editors.

While the wedding twist is truly bizarre, it hits that sweet Chuck Austen spot of being so bad it's good. The editorial interference actually forced Guggs to truly grapple with the continuity for once, instead of just telling stories about old stories. Even outside of the twist, this is probably the best issue of Gold. Nobody feels REALLY out of character (except probably Magik, who, depending on your read of the character, should've been fully supportive of the couple or been plotting all along, instead of this half-assed nonsense). The jokes actually land and the character dynamics are breezy and memorable. The art was STUNNING, as to be expected of David Marquez. Every page is a delight, the fashions are all on point (hot take: Rogue wore a better dress than Kitty anyway) and the facial expressions are lovely and expressive. 10/10, this was indubitably the best issue yet.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I'm happy for Rogue/Gambit.

I'm neutral with Kitty/Colossus but it's sad to waste all the development and tease it just to keep screwing the relationship.

Cute Jeen/Tyke interaction though

The reason for the plot twist seemed really lame to me, but let's face it: it was never a truly solid relationship. BTW, it makes me remember the Alex/Lorna fiasco. Glad for Rogue and Gambit. As you said: no one is out of character here, good art as well.

I really liked Gold 30. It was a very good and beautiful issue.
    All felt natural.

Happy for Gambit and Rogue.

Sad for Colossus and Kitty but will see how it all will end.

Marquez art is amazing. I hope he will stay on X books.
    Last edited by Purplevit; 06-20-2018 at 08:04 AM.

BANNED

Beautiful Wedding for Rogue and Gambit. :0)

LOVE Storm's Dress.

I really loved that issue. The art was perfect, for once the characters where really in character (except the Kurt already wanting to propose to Rachel).

I'm really happy that Gambit and Rogue are finally a thing.

And all those Summers/Grey interactions were perfect.
    Favorite characters:
    5 DC- Roy Harper, Donna Troy, Helena Bertinelli, Dinah Laurel Lance and Big Barda
    5 Marvel- Jean Grey, Richard Rider, Natasha Romanoff, Clint Barton and Angelica Jones

Pull List:
    X-Men Red, X-Men Blue, Old Man Hawkeye, Marvel Two-in-One, Aquaman, Mister Miracle, Mera Queen of Atlantis, The Terrifics and some more.

Well I admit I was clearly wrong.

What I don’t get is how rogue and gambit are any different than colossus and kitty. They even show colossus and kitty when rogue and gambit are talking about “always finding your way back to each other.”

Man gold really has hurt kitty’s image. Condolences to the fans.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    First four pages are the ones from the preview.

Magik takes Kitty up to the roof of Harry's to get drunk. Magik tells Kitty her and Piotr shouldn't get married because their relationship is a fucking joke. Okay, she doesn't say it quite like that, because Guggs writers her quite poorly, but it's pretty much the jist of it. If Kitty and Piotr were meant for one another, they would've gotten hitched long ago. There's no gay subtext here for those who were hoping for it, but Yana does say she loves Kitty.

At the wedding preparations, Kurt tells Piotr he's going to propose to Rachel, which is one of the most baffling story developments in a run full of them. Meanwhile, Stevie is doing Kitty's makeup. Kitty says she hates mascara and makeup, so her doing it for for Magik in Dead Souls last week should've been a big tell for Yana that things weren't quite as they seemed. Kitty hugs Storm, Stevie and her mom, the women who raised her (let's just forget Stevie all but dissappeared from comics somewhere in 1983). As the parade leaves for the wedding grounds, Logan looks on, glad that his OTP is finally setting sail.

At the wedding, Storm makes the weather nice while Magik still feels like ****. Girl, just own it instead of this weeping. Rogue and Gambit flirt around (won't lead to anything I'm sure) while Jeen and Tyke are freaked out about the fact they got married right her as well. Kurt forgot the rings. In case for those wondering: Kurt is best man and Magik is maid of honor (suck it Rachel).

Kitty is walked down the aisle by her born again feminist mom and I feel the need to point out that Kitty's wearing a different dress than the one on all those variants lol. The rabbi tells the story of Kitty and Piotr's love, which is just a long list of disasters, and the ring ceremony begins. Kitty puts the ring on Piotr, but when Piotr tries to put the ring on Kitty, SHE PHASES THROUGH IT. Then she says she can't go through with the wedding and phases through the ground. LMAO. Rougemort 2018! And perhaps the best editorially mandated interference since the last time editorial decided Kitty and Colossus needed to be broken up. Anyway, Piotr is a liiiiiittle embarassed and asks Kurt to teleport him away.

At the not-so wedding reception, Ink appears! FINALLY! Watch out Jubilee fans, he might make a move on her! There's a kind of fun page with Rachel and the Jeans too where they feel out all the pain. Also our lovely goatlady still feels like **** instead of just admitting she likes kitties.

Piotr finds Kitty at the place where he broke up with her all those years ago, and Kitty explains that while she loves him and the had good times, their history is basically straight garbage and they probably shouldn't marry ever. Back at the reception, Storm says it's better to break up now than realize you're not meant for each other years down the line. Storm is of course an expert on this since she ended up fighting her husband in a hero vs hero event. Storm continues to talk about how marriage requires serious conviction, which inspires one half of a relationship whose ups and downs are an even bigger dumpster fire than Kitty and Piotr's to propose to his lady love. Of course, Gambit probably also knew that he shouldn't let the opportunity for a free wedding go to waste.

So in take two of the WEDDING OF THE CENTURY, Anna Marie Sookie and Remy LeBoyo tie the knot, with Kurt and Iceman being Rogue's bridesmaids and Storm and X-23 being Gambit's groomsmen. And so the gentiles are wed without their wedding licenses by a rabbi. Just as it was always foretold.

Now somebody check up on the writer who spent 35 years living up to the wedding of Kitty and Colossus, and who would've gotten away with it too if it wasn't for those meddling editors.

While the wedding twist is truly bizarre, it hits that sweet Chuck Austen spot of being so bad it's good. The editorial interference actually forced Guggs to truly grapple with the continuity for once, instead of just telling stories about old stories. Even outside of the twist, this is probably the best issue of Gold. Nobody feels REALLY out of character (except probably Magik, who, depending on your read of the character, should've been fully supportive of the couple or been plotting all along, instead of this half-assed nonsense). The jokes actually land and the character dynamics are breezy and memorable. The art was STUNNING, as to be expected of David Marquez. Every page is a delight, the fashions are all on point (hot take: Rogue wore a better dress than Kitty anyway) and the facial expressions are lovely and expressive. 10/10, this was indubitably the best issue yet.
    It can't be as bad as Chuck Austen. The almost wedding of Havok and Polaris was so bad that it's bad. Rogue and Gambit had the signs to keep things getting completely bizarre.

Remy LeBoyo slayed me.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post

What I don’t get is how rogue and gambit are any different than colossus and kitty. They even show colossus and kitty when rogue and gambit are talking about “always finding your way back to each other.”

Precisely. Probably they are less afraid.

Welll, I really cant see what Kitty did hurting any fans except potentially Colossus fans. She (& Yana) were the stars of the issue. This is definitely gonna be the top scene during the 2018 X-Awards.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post

I think this quote by zarabasket.com summed it up pretty well:

2BB43FC5-3067-4DDF-A73D-BD8BA82F6CB1.jpg

Rogue, like she explained in the vow and the mini, is ready to accept that they’ll never have a peaceful relationship so to speak, because of their involvement as X-Men and as mutants; what’s more important to her is that she wants Remy through it all. Kitty, on the other hand, isn’t ready to accept that and hence doesn’t think it’s a good foundation to base a relationship/marriage on, which is understandable (but she should have thought it through before embarrassing Piotr). In fact, Kitty’s reason is almost similar to Rogue’s at the end of the mini; she’s been running because she was afraid of the uncertainty and messiness that followed her and Remy but she ultimately accepted it, which is a huge step towards fixing their relationship.
    Last edited by rogueisbae; 06-20-2018 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rogueisbae View Post
    I think this quote by zarabasket.com summed it up pretty well:

2BB43FC5-3067-4DDF-A73D-BD8BA82F6CB1.jpg
    Wow! They summed it really good. I agree.

Copy paste:

What. A. Garbage. Comic. Even though I knew what was coming, it was still garbage. This is just bad story telling, it doesn't matter if your preferred couple got together. It's still bad story telling. Just a solid waste of 30 issues.

Attachment 67309

And a terrible sister. I hate Magik here. And the 50 lesbian jokes that are sure to come won't change the fact that Magik is a terrible person here.

Attachment 67310

Oh my god! WHY?!

I loved this issue and each page looked beautiful. Reading the book I got chills when I saw Gambit and Rogue exchange vows. I am a Romy fan since the days of X-Men TAS and this issue handled it really well. When I saw the leaked scan I got a feeling that Kelly Thompson might have played a hand regarding how Gambit and Rogue interacted and she did confirm that she played a part on her Tumblr account.