Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Creed II

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Hands down my favorite rocky movie. Probaly also Stallones best dramatic acting. Though Michale B Jordan Carrie's the film. Also best boxing scenes no more of that corny stuff from early rocky movies. It looks like real boxing. (OLD ROCKY movies had fine fights for the time I'm not complaining)
    Well they did really get hit for some shots...there is the clip floating around of MBJ getting knocked out cold while filming. So the boxing looked better for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The guys Michael B Jordan fights in the Creed are actual professional boxers. That might have to do a lot with the size disparity.
    Tony Bellew who appeared in Creed isn’t particularly big by modern heavyweight standards. He’s “only” 6’3”. Wilder and Joshua, as has been said, are massive. Tyson Fury at 6’8” is even bigger. Well, that’s the current era. For a famous heavyweight from the past, Mike Tyson is around Jordan’s height I think, and he was regarded as short for a heavyweight in the 80s.

That said, obviously Stallone would be tiny for a heavyweight, in almost any era
    Last edited by Coin Biter; 09-27-2018 at 04:15 PM.

I remember Rocky IV when it came out... at that time a Russian heavyweight boxing champion seemed an exotic notion, in a division dominated by Americans.

How things have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post
    Tony Bellew who appeared in Creed isn’t particularly big by modern heavyweight standards. He’s “only” 6’3”. Wilder and Joshua, as has been said, are massive. Tyson Fury at 6’8” is even bigger. Well, that’s the current era. For a famous heavyweight from the past, Mike Tyson is around Jordan’s height I think, and he was regarded as short for a heavyweight in the 80s.

That said, obviously Stallone would be tiny for a heavyweight, in almost any era

Slyvester Stallone and Mike Tyson, in their physical primes (1980s), were BOTH 5'10" and BOTH over 200 lbs of lean muscle. Michael B. Jordan is 5'11" and just under 200 lbs now (2010s).

Not much difference between the 3 in terms of physical mass and volume.

Now: Fury, Joshua, and Wilder ... well, they all look like mutant goons compared to the those other 3 average-sized boxers ... and each one could make for a great big bad villain for CREED III.

Actually, I’m being dumb. Unlike Rocky, Adonis Creed is supposed to be a light heavy, isn’t he? Makes a lot more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I just hope that Rocky and Ivan can be civil with each other.

They don't have to be friends, just have respect for one another.

Otherwise I'm just expecting the same great boxing action and solid character acting from the previous Creed movie.
    I remember around the time of "Balboa" that there were rumors that Mr. T or Tommy Morrison would have cameos with Rocky possibly having made peace.

We did however get Spider Rico though.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Actually, I’m being dumb. Unlike Rocky, Adonis Creed is supposed to be a light heavy, isn’t he? Makes a lot more sense.
    Yea Adonis is light heavy. But he doesnt look like hes near the size of his opponents in the movies. But apparently for Black Panther he clocked in in the high 190s. So hes bigger then I though he was especialy sicne Adonis is suppose to be like 175

Michael B. Jordan is 6 fight and looks chiseled as anything. I don't get that complaint.

Nobody in the first film looked out of his weight class. The last fight he's just fighting a taller guy with more reach. Hell Stallone is like 5'9" and MBJ already looks bigger than he did in the first 4 films. Stallone was super old in the last one but between the HGH and any other steroids he was popping he looked pretty big considering his age. I'd go so far to argue that MBJ is actually above the light heavy weight weigh in. What's light heavy weight these days? 175? 180? I'm shorter than MBJ and in solid shape and I come in around 185. MBJ has to be high 190s if not low 200s. He's around Michael Vick's size and he got up to like 205 or 212 back in the day.

Half the actors in these boxing movies just go the body building route anyway just because it looks better. Drago's son has to be in Heavy Weight, no way he could make weight for light heavy weight.

MBJ could make Light Heavy weight if he went back to his original size. Google image search him back in 2011 or earlier, still in good shape but actually a believable light heavy weight.

Still crazy hyped for this tho.
    The J-man

No, I accept that Michael B Jordan is about the right size for a light heavyweight - the current world champions are all around 6 feet or thereabouts.

He’s heavily muscled now, in a way that a light heavy wouldn’t be to make the weight, but it’s pretty clear that with this film, featuring a guy who’s around 250 pounds as his opponent, they’ve moved away from the realism of the first film. Which I guess is natural, if they’re inspired by Rocky IV, perhaps the most hilariously absurd boxing film of all time So weight categories and whether boxers look like boxers or more like jacked body builders are no longer considerations. They went Tony Bellew first time - a guy who’s now fought at light heavy, cruiser and heavy (he must have seriously starved himself to make the lighter weights). This time, Florian Munteneau, is described as a heavyweight boxer, but there don’t seem to be any details of his professional career online.

The franchise has always moved between story telling inspired by real life events and more cartoonish elements. Will they have a robot in this one?

So weight categories and whether boxers look like boxers or more like jacked body builders are no longer considerations
    So, judging by the new official teaser poster:

Ummm, definitely leaning more toward "jacked bodybuilder".

This time, Florian Munteneau, is described as a heavyweight boxer, but there don’t seem to be any details of his professional career online.

I'm underwhelmed by this choice for Ivan's son. The actor is also described as a fitness model. If you needed a hulking white dude with boxing bonafides to play Viktor Drago, then the 6'9" boxer Tyson Fury would have been a better choice.

But who knows, maybe Florian is a surprisingly better actor and will be a memorable villain after all.

No just gt an actor so my mind won't be whispering to me about who should really win the fight
    The J-man

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    So, judging by the new official teaser poster:

Ummm, definitely leaning more toward "jacked bodybuilder".

I'm underwhelmed by this choice for Ivan's son. The actor is also described as a fitness model. If you needed a hulking white dude with boxing bonafides to play Viktor Drago, then the 6'9" boxer Tyson Fury would have been a better choice.

But who knows, maybe Florian is a surprisingly better actor and will be a memorable villain after all.
    The whole point of drago was that he liked an inhuman real life action figure that was in the realm of fantasy. Fury doesn't fit that. You don't want realism for Drago

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    The whole point of drago was that he liked an inhuman real life action figure that was in the realm of fantasy. Fury doesn't fit that. You don't want realism for Drago
    This. While Florian in no way could ever remotely fight at the same weight as MBJ. He looks like a lab experiment. Which makes him intimidating in the trailer but we have to wait and see if he can act. I hope Drago is given more depth in this.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post

The idea of getting actual boxers involved is fun but... Fury’s enormous but doesn’t have a sculpted physique by heavyweight standards. There’s also a 97% probability that he’d say or do something incredibly controversial at an awkward moment for the filmmakers, I fear.

I think with this one they needed someone from Eastern Europe (although given Lundgren’s nationality, I guess they could have gone for a Swede talking in a monotone ), and wanted someone who looked a bit like a machine. Being a model kind of makes sense as well - after all, Lundgren dabbled a bit in modelling I believe, among his huge list of accomplishments.

Will have more than four or five lines of dialogue, I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I hope Drago is given more depth in this.
    Considering how cartoonish Rocky IV was, there were some nice touches. The evident disgust/dislike of the press conference at the beginning, tying into his attitude in the exhibition match. Drago’s “I fight for myself” at the end.

I mean, sure, he was a remorseless Cold War nemesis, but if you really wanted to, you could find something here.

It’s going to be very interesting to see what they do with him in Creed 2. I’m genuinely uncertain as to what direction they’ll take with him and his son, given we now live in a world so different from that of the first film.