Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Yes, you said that already. That puts the confirmed profit margin at $499.750 million in the red. It's going to take more than anecdotal evidence to make such a movie successful.
    The statement was nobody wants to see it. There are people who want to see it. You'll just have to live with that, or else produce the definitive poll you or somebody else conducted to show that 'nobody' wants to see Bobba Fett movie

And any movie is as successful as it is good. That's obvious. But if you're going to do a Stat Wars prequel movie, I would think that Bobba Fett might be a better choice than Owan Lars or Chief Chirpa.
    Last edited by brettc1; 06-25-2018 at 05:54 AM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    I thought "Rogue One" worked well. honestly liked it better than "the Force Awakens" and "the Last Jedi". there were things I liked about those other films... my only a few tiny complaints about "Rogue One":
    we shouldn't have had the C3PO and R2D2 cameo in mid-film.
    Chirrut should have been able to use the force right before he died
    I probably would have ended with Vader watching as the ship sails off into space. the CGI Leia could have been trimmed out.

I was so frustrated by "the Last Jedi" that I lost any interest in watching more Star Wars films. "Solo" was also released too closely, they're over-saturating the market for these films. they should have waited at least a year. having the 'proper' films every year and 'story' films on alternating years while the main story arc is still under production was a good way to space things out.
    Back in the time of the first trilogy (4, 5 and 6), I was a huge Star Wars fan although the extended universe stuff never drew me in. I don't go see movies much now. I still haven't seen 7 and 8 but that's because they haven't and probably won't be put on Netflix. I may eventually give in and buy the DVDs. I watched "Rogue One" as soon as it was on Netflix and I really liked it. I haven't seen "Solo" yet. But my lack of going to see the Star Wars movies is just a lack of going to see most movies. Although I did go to see "Black Panther" and "Infinity War", I've seen most MCU movies on Netflix.

In a way, I don't comprehend the lack of interest in a Han Solo movie. I get that it's not Harrison Ford but a Han origin movie where we see his first meeting with Chewbacca would seem like a dream movie for a Star Wars fan. It's not like the first live action on-screen meeting of Superman and Batman which was more like a nightmare first meeting.

Just because you're a Star Trek fan doesn't mean you want to see a Young Picard movie. Or even a Spock by himself movie. But it seems like Han Solo is a different case. I can understand why "Rogue One" didn't do so well with the sad ending and all. I suspect that if CGI were cheap enough that they could have had Harrison Ford come in and do the scenes and then CGI a young Ford into the movie, it might have made a billion.

I would have thought episodes 7 and 8 would have done less well because they apparently proceed from the point of view that the battle with the Empire is still going on after 40 years? But they broke a billion worldwide.

Maybe it's just true what someone said that Star Wars has the illusion of being able to expand into a vast shared universe but it really doesn't.
    Power with Girl is better.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    The statement was nobody wants to see it. There are people who want to see it. You'll just have to live with that, or else produce the definitive poll you or somebody else conducted to show that 'nobody' wants to see Bobba Fett movie

And any movie is as successful as it is good. That's obvious. But if you're going to do a Stat Wars prequel movie, I would think that Bobba Fett might be a better choice than Owan Lars or Chief Chirpa.
    Pretty sure the onus is on the people who want to see the movie to do the market research showing there's enough of an audience to justify it. Seems very unlikely there's enough of a potential audience to even justify the expense of the market research.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I would think a James Mangold film would have a wider appeal than just Star Wars fans. They just need to keep their budget under control.
    Logan is my favorite film of all time, and 3:10 to Yuma is pretty damn great, but none of those films grossed Star Wars money, and I don't think his style has a particularly wide appeal. I'm pretty sure if they wanted to make "James Mangold" money, they could've just hired him without having to spend the money for Lucasflims.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post

In a way, I don't comprehend the lack of interest in a Han Solo movie. I get that it's not Harrison Ford but a Han origin movie where we see his first meeting with Chewbacca would seem like a dream movie for a Star Wars fan. It's not like the first live action on-screen meeting of Superman and Batman which was more like a nightmare first meeting.
    It's a story I'm curious about but not for a movie. That's like a story you tell in a book, or graphic novel or something like that. Especially since you can't go back in time to get the original actor. Maybe if Han Solo were my favorite character.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Pretty sure the onus is on the people who want to see the movie to do the market research showing there's enough of an audience to justify it. Seems very unlikely there's enough of a potential audience to even justify the expense of the market research.
    So, you have no data, Just your anecdotally informed opinion.

Meanwhile, Rolling Stone ranks Fett as one of the top 5 Star Wars character (just behind Vader).

He is also Star Wars Battlefronts most popular playable character, as reported by Forbes.

Clearly there's a lot of people with some love for Mandalore's favourite son.
    Last edited by brettc1; 06-26-2018 at 01:13 AM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

deleted post
    Last edited by brettc1; 06-26-2018 at 01:13 AM.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    That's to bad the spin-offs have been better than the main movies I really wanted a boba Fett movie....
    Co-Sign...i'm just not invested in the main trilogy. But i wonder how much of SOLO's failure can be attributed to people hating The Last Jedi? also i vehemently disagree that Star Wars can't be expanded upon. LucasFilm just botched it.
    Last edited by Madam-Shogun-Assassin; 06-26-2018 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Co-Sign...i'm just not invested in the main trilogy. But i wonder how much of SOLO's failure can be attributed to people hating The Last Jedi? also i vehemently disagree that Star Wars can't be expanded upon. LucasFilm just botched it.
    But that hatred seems to be among a very select group. I mention it to people who don't hang out on Internet forums and they give me a blank look and mention how packed the theaters were and how much they loved it and seem to find the criticism to be just stock net stuff among people who hate everything. Also, didn't it break a billion dollars worldwide, Last Jedi, not Solo. I don't think the failure of Solo can really be explained by the success of Last Jedi.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member

My opinion: I dont care as much for prequels, because i am bored by the nature of a prequel.

I dont want to see Han Solo as a young guy, there is only Harrison Ford for me...

Star Wars was something special, because you couldnt see a new chapter every year. now it isnt anymore.

Last Jedi wasnt that good, but it has nothing to do with Solos failure...

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I still honestly think Solo’s apparent failure is more of a blip than anything... coupled with its release so close to Last Jedi and also the summer mashup of it, Infinity War and Deadpool 2 back to back. It wouldn’t mean a Obi Wan movie or any other well handled anthology movie is DOA as some high ups seem to think.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I still honestly think Solo’s apparent failure is more of a blip than anything... coupled with its release so close to Last Jedi and also the summer mashup of it, Infinity War and Deadpool 2 back to back. It wouldn’t mean a Obi Wan movie or any other well handled anthology movie is DOA as some high ups seem to think.
    This is possible too, it could have kept a summer release, but just pick a date less crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    But that hatred seems to be among a very select group. I mention it to people who don't hang out on Internet forums and they give me a blank look and mention how packed the theaters were and how much they loved it and seem to find the criticism to be just stock net stuff among people who hate everything. Also, didn't it break a billion dollars worldwide, Last Jedi, not Solo. I don't think the failure of Solo can really be explained by the success of Last Jedi.
    For what it's worth i rather enjoyed SOLO more than i enjoyed TLJ. I have no idea what's the thought process of the folks over at Lucas Films tbh.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post

Last Jedi wasnt that good, but it has nothing to do with Solos failure...
    It's likely a combination of things as many people have said...I don't know if it's anything in particular.