Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Red Letter Media got it right. Star Wars is not a big enough franchise to expand this much. It gives the illusion of that. But the whole goddamn series has down to this one conflict between the Empire and the Rebellion and their respective offshoots. It's not DC/Marvel where you have multiple characters with their own central solar systems around them that can operate independently that happen to exist and merge with other characters apparatus'. It's one single thing with a lot around it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Sorry, that's bull. I can think of a dozen people I know who want to see that.
    I don't get why anyone would. Boba Fett is a character that is so much better being a mysterious assassin. The one time we got anywhere close to learning more besides him being a dude in a cool suit with a cool voice was in Attack of the Clones and everyone hated that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I don't get why anyone would. Boba Fett is a character that is so much better being a mysterious assassin. The one time we got anywhere close to learning more besides him being a dude in a cool suit with a cool voice was in Attack of the Clones and everyone hated that.
    That's as much untrue as the comment you're replying to

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Oh really people liked Boba Fett being a clone of the model of the Storm Troopers who watched his dad die? Yeah fans were just crazy about toddler Fett. Boba's most notable appearances were in a Empire where he barely talked and just looked cool and in Jedi where he barely talked and got jobbed out. He was also in that one cartoon special where he was pretty good. Most of Fett's draw was being heavily pushed in merchandise.

Mighty Member

I thought "Rogue One" worked well. honestly liked it better than "the Force Awakens" and "the Last Jedi". there were things I liked about those other films... my only a few tiny complaints about "Rogue One":
    we shouldn't have had the C3PO and R2D2 cameo in mid-film.
    Chirrut should have been able to use the force right before he died
    I probably would have ended with Vader watching as the ship sails off into space. the CGI Leia could have been trimmed out.

I was so frustrated by "the Last Jedi" that I lost any interest in watching more Star Wars films. "Solo" was also released too closely, they're over-saturating the market for these films. they should have waited at least a year. having the 'proper' films every year and 'story' films on alternating years while the main story arc is still under production was a good way to space things out.

Fantastic Member Red Robe Jaldari's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Red Letter Media got it right. Star Wars is not a big enough franchise to expand this much. It gives the illusion of that. But the whole goddamn series has down to this one conflict between the Empire and the Rebellion and their respective offshoots. It's not DC/Marvel where you have multiple characters with their own central solar systems around them that can operate independently that happen to exist and merge with other characters apparatus'. It's one single thing with a lot around it.
    KOTOR says hi.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Red Robe Jaldari View Post
    KOTOR says hi.
    Which is sadly no longer canon, unless there's an announcement that I missed recently. That was one of the good things about the EU, especially during the Yuuzahn Vong War. We had an enemy that was not an Empire offshoot, or heck, even a Sith offshoot.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Enterprise E View Post
    Which is sadly no longer canon...
    It never really was. None of the old EU was canon.

We had an enemy that was not an Empire offshoot, or heck, even a Sith offshoot.
    On the downside, the Vong were runaways from a Clive Barker novel who fit into Star Wars like a Hutt fits into a g-string.

Extraordinary Member

So I finally got around to seeing SOLO tonight with my son.

Look, it's okay. It's not a bad movie, it's just not a great one. I definitely enjoyed Rogue One more, probably because while it did just as much fan service [if not more] it was not as mired down in having to follow continuity issues because you had no idea who these guys were prior to walking into the movie.

I give it a 7 out of 10. But I think Disney is of the opinion that every Star Wars movie has to knock it out of the park or it's a failure.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

So I finally got around to seeing SOLO tonight with my son.

Look, it's okay. It's not a bad movie, it's just not a great one. I definitely enjoyed Rogue One more, probably because while it did just as much fan service [if not more] it was not as mired down in having to follow continuity issues because you had no idea who these guys were prior to walking into the movie.

I give it a 7 out of 10. But I think Disney is of the opinion that every Star Wars movie has to knock it out of the park or it's a failure.
    Well, it has made about $350 million worldwide, but it cost $250 million to make and the promotion costs are estimated at $150 million! So it has lost money so far.
    This has nothing to do with whether it is good or not. But at these costs, a movie has to make at least half a billion to break even.

I always thought the SOLO film was risky. These characters , Han, Landro... are so identified with the original actors. They aren't characters like Marvel or DC who existed prior and independently from the actors.
    So the gamble was if audiences would embrace the young actors in the roll.
    And of course when you are shooting that high for returns, it is hard to make a sure bet.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Which isn't. I do know a dozen people who would want to see a Bobba Fett movie.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

Which isn't. I do know a dozen people who would want to see a Bobba Fett movie.
    Yes, you said that already. That puts the confirmed profit margin at $499.750 million in the red. It's going to take more than anecdotal evidence to make such a movie successful.

BANNED

Yes, you said that already. That puts the confirmed profit margin at $499.750 million in the red. It's going to take more than anecdotal evidence to make such a movie successful.
    I would think a James Mangold film would have a wider appeal than just Star Wars fans. They just need to keep their budget under control.

Fantastic Member Red Robe Jaldari's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post

On the downside, the Vong were runaways from a Clive Barker novel who fit into Star Wars like a Hutt fits into a g-string.
    It was practically canon for many years even if it it was not G canon.

They did not stop writing the books till Unifying Force was out so more then enough consumers felt it's Star Wars and ,must have been buying them. The great thing about the EU is you can ignore certain eras easily.
    Last edited by Red Robe Jaldari; 06-25-2018 at 08:12 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    True, but at the very least, it was seen as official by many people, far more so than the Star Trek novels, even the modern ones that seem to be connected to one another, are.