Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I'm always drawn back to the old unfinished Byrne fable, "The Last Galactus Story." Since Time is an illusory construct, who is to say that Galacta couldn't be the daughter of end times Galan and Frankie Raye (Nova II) existing in the here and now? Nova ultimately would have evolved into becoming the next Eternity/Infinity according to Byrne's notes. It might make for a sweet slice of continuity pie if Nova becomes the mother of the next omniverse while also giving birth to its next Galactus in Galacta. It would certainly answer the question, "Why is Galacta here?" To meet her father, of course. Every little girl needs her father.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    I love the weirdness too.. Ewing always brings the wild imagination that brings me back to the beginning days of the MU.

I don't look at the Lifebringer role as going against any established history as much as I see it as changing the lens through which we see that history. Meaning he did all of those things and was still the Devourer and still filled his role, it's just that his role was not as it was originally intended. I think you can look at the change as building onto pre-existing continuity as opposed to deleting it, if you're a fan who puts a lot of value in that distinction.

Cosmic Defenders.. starring Galacta, Singularity, maybe Avril Kincaid Quasar, the Smasher from Hickman's Avengers, Silver Surfer (he and Galacta could have a very interesting relationship).. any other ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I'm always drawn back to the old unfinished Byrne fable, "The Last Galactus Story." Since Time is an illusory construct, who is to say that Galacta couldn't be the daughter of end times Galan and Frankie Raye (Nova II) existing in the here and now? Nova ultimately would have evolved into becoming the next Eternity/Infinity according to Byrne's notes. It might make for a sweet slice of continuity pie if Nova becomes the mother of the next omniverse while also giving birth to its next Galactus in Galacta. It would certainly answer the question, "Why is Galacta here?" To meet her father, of course. Every little girl needs her father.
    I like both of those ideas, and the first would be great for giving Singularity a role in the Marvel Universe again.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

The problem with a character like Galacta is that you just know at some point she's going to get killed off by a Beyonder or something, thus turning Galactus into a black hole of purest rage.

Then again, that would have been a pretty decent plot that resulted in Galactus becoming the Devourer again. Galacta gets brutally and sadistically murdered. Galan as the Lifebringer still at this point, tracks down her killer fully intending to exact revenge. Before he can deliver the mortal blow, Death and Eternity appear and advise him that he can either continue to be the Lifebringer and walk away from this vengeful act, or he can go on and kill Galacta's murderer, but in doing so become the Devourer. Galactus, like I think most father's would, proceeds to annihilate Galacta's murderer, thus becoming the Devourer once more. Like the saying goes, when you head out to kill a man in revenge, you better dig two graves.

I like the idea of her as Lifebringer. That changes my view of the character.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

I never knew Byrne intended that fate for Frankie. She's one of my favorite characters, and it's interesting reading her earliest appearances as a hip girlfriend of Johnny's during the 70s and knowing her cosmic powered future.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Galacta will literally be a Lifebringer. She was preggy in her last appearance.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member

I've been looking at old scans and pics of Galactus and anyone else notice how the guy doesn't normally crush or squeeze people who annoy him? He holds them gently in his giant hands like they're fragile little birds.

How often has he accidently killed someone before he started just gently holding them?

Astonishing Member

I'd love to see Galacta brought back. She was adorable.

And yeah since they apparently made Galactus the devourer again (boo), they may as well bring her back and make her the Lifebringer.

Shame Ultimates did so bad in sales. I really loved Lifebringer Galactus.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Ultimates should have ended with Galactus going back to devourer; the story should literally have been his story of sacrificing his one true desire to save the universe.

But no, Ewing decided not to do that and so someone else did it in a really underwhelming way.

Lifebringer Galactus sounds like a route to the Cancerverse, which is where I thought the story might eventually go. Lifebringer Galacta having to be stopped cos of possible Cancerverse complications, eh, even as my own idea I dont think I'm that interested.

I dont see the need for her to be canon.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

The problem with a character like Galacta is that you just know at some point she's going to get killed off by a Beyonder or something, thus turning Galactus into a black hole of purest rage.

Then again, that would have been a pretty decent plot that resulted in Galactus becoming the Devourer again. Galacta gets brutally and sadistically murdered. Galan as the Lifebringer still at this point, tracks down her killer fully intending to exact revenge. Before he can deliver the mortal blow, Death and Eternity appear and advise him that he can either continue to be the Lifebringer and walk away from this vengeful act, or he can go on and kill Galacta's murderer, but in doing so become the Devourer. Galactus, like I think most father's would, proceeds to annihilate Galacta's murderer, thus becoming the Devourer once more. Like the saying goes, when you head out to kill a man in revenge, you better dig two graves.
    That would be sad and messed-up as hell, but alas, not surprising. Would make an epic tragedy, though.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    I'd love to see Galacta brought back. She was adorable.

And yeah since they apparently made Galactus the devourer again (boo), they may as well bring her back and make her the Lifebringer.

Shame Ultimates did so bad in sales. I really loved Lifebringer Galactus.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That would be sad and messed-up as hell, but alas, not surprising. Would make an epic tragedy, though.
    I know, right? Because if that all happened, the next time you hear Galactus say, "I hunger," you'd never be completely sure if he's hungering for sustenance... or for something to fill (and end) his sorrow.

Extraordinary Member

I actually liked what Duggan did with Galactus and the Silver Surfer. He captured the true horror of the situation, which isn't just that Galactus is back as the Devourer of Worlds, but that he quickly and readily takes Norrin down with him. Neither of them like their respective jobs and, honestly, Galactus doesn't actually need a Herald when you think about it. Really, he keeps them around more as companions more than anything. They're like pets you ca. Have a conversation with.

Galactus isn't so often a villain because he's been damned to do a very unpleasant but necessary job: he's a villain because he's petty, cruel, and self-absorbed. And those are traits he has even as the Lifebringer.

He immediately forces Norrin, someone he actually likes and respects, into a role he knows he absolutely hates and despises seemingly out of spite.

I know, right? Because if that all happened, the next time you hear Galactus say, "I hunger," you'd never be completely sure if he's hungering for sustenance... or for something to fill (and end) his sorrow.
    Yeah, just about the ultimate tragic villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I actually liked what Duggan did with Galactus and the Silver Surfer. He captured the true horror of the situation, which isn't just that Galactus is back as the Devourer of Worlds, but that he quickly and readily takes Norrin down with him. Neither of them like their respective jobs and, honestly, Galactus doesn't actually need a Herald when you think about it. Really, he keeps them around more as companions more than anything. They're like pets you ca. Have a conversation with.

Galactus isn't so often a villain because he's been damned to do a very unpleasant but necessary job: he's a villain because he's petty, cruel, and self-absorbed. And those are traits he has even as the Lifebringer.

He immediately forces Norrin, someone he actually likes and respects, into a role he knows he absolutely hates and despises seemingly out of spite.
    Hmm, that's a great point, too. Not just the horror of his regression into a more villainous/antagonistic role, but also in how on a personal level, he drags the Silver Surfer back down with him just so he won't be alone. Simultaneously saddening and horrifying.