Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

I feel like Marvel just doesn't want to deal with explaining her conception.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Some goofy ideas are better left to non continuity. She is one of them. Galactus is a force of nature and does not a spawn running around.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    I'll be alone then in thinking she was a terrible concept.
    The whole idea of having a 'good' Galactus. Not a life-bringer mind, but a devourer who is good because she doesn't feed on humans. Someone watched too much Buffy/Angel back in the 90s.
    And her living on Earth out of all worlds in the universe as some regular human when she's an immensely powerful cosmic being. It's so contrived.
    But that's just me.
    Agreed.

So not just you. Me too!
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

wait … when did they revert Galactus?

The cosmics tend to have a little more wiggle room on lasting changes as they are more supporting cast … so I was expecting this one to stick a bit longer. Though I guess technically it lasted as long as Jane Thor.

Extraordinary Member

I think the concept is really contrived, but it's a fun sort of contrived. And I think she could be used to great effect. Plus, her living on Earth now actually makes sense given that it's one of the few planets she doesn't have to worry about Galactus feeding on.

And yes, Galactus is back in purple and abusing poor Norrin Radd, but we don't know if he's really a "villain."

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    I'll be alone then in thinking she was a terrible concept.
    The whole idea of having a 'good' Galactus. Not a life-bringer mind, but a devourer who is good because she doesn't feed on humans. Someone watched too much Buffy/Angel back in the 90s.
    And her living on Earth out of all worlds in the universe as some regular human when she's an immensely powerful cosmic being. It's so contrived.
    But that's just me.
    It's not just you. I saw the character first in a Marvel handbook and thought she was utterly ridiculous.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

No thanks. Best kept as an absurd comedy character, unless you want to pull her from the alternate reality she exists in.
    Galactus is a loner Dottie, a rebel.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrandEleven View Post
    wait … when did they revert Galactus?

The cosmics tend to have a little more wiggle room on lasting changes as they are more supporting cast … so I was expecting this one to stick a bit longer. Though I guess technically it lasted as long as Jane Thor.
    Infinity Countdown #4, I believe.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Infinity Countdown #4, I believe.
    Which made me sad. Ultimates did such a great job of explaining how when Galen came into this new universe, and was made into this new being, his job was supposed to be bring life around the universe - which made sense. Instead, he wasn't gestated long enough and instead brought death. So, now, upon repair - he was doing his job and this .... this seems like a lazy cop-out to bring back the status quo. Why does doing this act "regress" him to a death-bringer? Disappointing if you ask me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    how does that work? who did Galactus sleep with?
    Apparently if they over eat they can get a tapeworm? and it splits off of them ? So Galactus overrate in to pregnancy and gave birth.
    As for why they can't use her... thinking her unborn child is a tapeworm and trying to abort it with the ultimate nullifer might have something to do with that

I love when writers use continuity to enhance their stories, so I think it'd be fun to see Galacta used again in some capacity.

-Pav, who figures she could fight the Dread Rorkannu from the Dank Dimension...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quasar's Bands View Post
    Which made me sad. Ultimates did such a great job of explaining how when Galen came into this new universe, and was made into this new being, his job was supposed to be bring life around the universe - which made sense. Instead, he wasn't gestated long enough and instead brought death. So, now, upon repair - he was doing his job and this .... this seems like a lazy cop-out to bring back the status quo. Why does doing this act "regress" him to a death-bringer? Disappointing if you ask me.
    Because in the billions and billions of years Galactus has been around he has become one of the primal forces of the universe. Saying that he was supposed to be the lifebringer all along just goes against everything they ever established over the last 60 years. During the Trial of Reed Richards storyline even the other cosmic deitiys appeared and said Galactus was a primal force of the universe and was needed to serve his role which was to devour and keep the universe in balance. The Ultimates stuff while an interesting idea went against everything, and had to be reversed at some point.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quasar's Bands View Post
    Just about every creation myth posits that there is some damning flaw at inception. To the extent that Galactus was that flaw, I get it. It's the gi-normous billboard sign that tells anyone entering this omniverse that tragedy abounds as a result of an imperfect structure. I mean if the matter/antimatter asymmetry didn't clue you in first, Galactus as one of the trinity (Death, Life (Eternity), Galactus) running around gorging on life-capable planets should do it.

Still, methinks there should be a Lifebringer in the current omniverse. Whether that's a real individual, an abstract being, or a protective cosmic force that permeates everything, I'd like to see something exist in the MU. Let's start a new mythos.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 06-25-2018 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Just about every creation myth posits that there is some damning flaw at inception. To the extent that Galactus was that flaw, I get it. It's the gi-normous billboard sign that tells anyone entering this omniverse that tragedy abounds as a result of an imperfect structure. I mean if the matter/antimatter asymmetry didn't clue you in first, Galactus as one of the trinity (Death, Life, Galactus) running around gorging on life-capable planets should do it.

Still, methinks there should be a Lifebringer in the current omniverse. Whether that's a real individual, an abstract being, or a protective cosmic force that permeates everything, I'd like to see something exist in the MU. Let's start a new mythos.
    Love this post, and totally agree. The Ultimates embraced the notion that, after the recreation of the universe post-SW, any change was in play, and for me, that's why it was such a fun book.

I'm all for Galacta as Lifebringer! Put her in some sort of Cosmic Defenders title!

-Pav, who loves the weirdness of the MU...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Love this post, and totally agree. The Ultimates embraced the notion that, after the recreation of the universe post-SW, any change was in play, and for me, that's why it was such a fun book.

I'm all for Galacta as Lifebringer! Put her in some sort of Cosmic Defenders title!

-Pav, who loves the weirdness of the MU...
    I love the weirdness too.. Ewing always brings the wild imagination that brings me back to the beginning days of the MU.

I don't look at the Lifebringer role as going against any established history as much as I see it as changing the lens through which we see that history. Meaning he did all of those things and was still the Devourer and still filled his role, it's just that his role was not as it was originally intended. I think you can look at the change as building onto pre-existing continuity as opposed to deleting it, if you're a fan who puts a lot of value in that distinction.

Cosmic Defenders.. starring Galacta, Singularity, maybe Avril Kincaid Quasar, the Smasher from Hickman's Avengers, Silver Surfer (he and Galacta could have a very interesting relationship).. any other ideas?