Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is The Wasp a member of The Hellfire Club?

We all know that Janet Van Dyne is from an old money family based out of New York. We all know that she would never join the inner circle but membership to the "regular" club is still heredity right? So she is probably a regular member but not in the Inner Circle. It's been awhile (decades) since I read an X-title but that was how Angel's membership went.

Member? Sure. I would wager that she has actively avoided their parties, though. The club can be a bit stuffy. It could be where she met Paladin though. He has done work for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Member? Sure. I would wager that she has actively avoided their parties, though. The club can be a bit stuffy. It could be where she met Paladin though. He has done work for them.
    She does avoid them, but I think it has more to do with the extreme excess on display. That would be the least stuffy club to be in. The really weird thing is when she runs into Shaw at a charity event.

He knows she is an Avenger. She knows what he is. They would rather destroy eachother but they both have to do the whole "Hey, how are you?!" song and dance.

I think in Uncanny Avengers they mentioned that she once attended a Hellfire Club meeting with Hank to "spice things up."

Incredible Member

That would certainly make an interesting one-shot if they ever give her a solo especially since it could give better insight into her family life.

in my proposed Janet solo, she does go up against members of the Club. but it's mainly as a wealthy outsider. she only attends one of their parties to do some detective work; due to the disappearance of her childhood friend Sterling Stuyvesent. I wanted to add them to her rogues gallery (well, some of the weaker members like Reeva Payge and Benedict Kine).

in my proposed Janet solo, she does go up against members of the Club. but it's mainly as a wealthy outsider. she only attends one of their parties to do some detective work; due to the disappearance of her childhood friend Sterling Stuyvesent. I wanted to add them to her rogues gallery (well, some of the weaker members like Reeva Payge and Benedict Kine).
    The only question would be has a member of her family ever been a member of the Inner Circle? The Van Dyne's have probably been members of the club for generations...and they made weapons. Of course if they were it probably occurred back before Shaw or even his father took over.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

I would read that.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    We all know that Janet Van Dyne is from an old money family based out of New York. We all know that she would never join the inner circle but membership to the "regular" club is still heredity right? So she is probably a regular member but not in the Inner Circle. It's been awhile (decades) since I read an X-title but that was how Angel's membership went.
    I didn't know that about Angel. I know Tony was in the outer circle as well with his father being a member. I would love to find out if Janet is in the Hellfire Club by proxy as well.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

All-New Member

This really sounds like a storyline that Marvel should explore. The Wasp is very underused and really should be fleshed out a whole lot more. I would love to see this.

William

It's curious that so many of the rich heroes are members of the outer club while knowing what the inner club does. Aren't they basically funding a supervillain team every time they pay their dues?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    I didn't know that about Angel. I know Tony was in the outer circle as well with his father being a member. I would love to find out if Janet is in the Hellfire Club by proxy as well.
    i reread Sebastian Shaw's origin story at lunch. Howard Stark and Warren Worthington II are kneeling right beside Sebastian during the initiation. I kind of want that to be touched upon, eventually. Shaw knew his dad. but he only knew Tony as a drunken "kid."

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    It's curious that so many of the rich heroes are members of the outer club while knowing what the inner club does. Aren't they basically funding a supervillain team every time they pay their dues?
    eh. but that's what superheroes do. they maintain the status quo; knowingly and unknowingly. the Inner Circle isn't Hydra. they mostly manipulate the world through unscrupulous means. but not in a way that invites being punched by Spider-man; like acts of terrorism. and I'm not certain who actually owns the club. the Inner Circle might just be renting space from someone. it's mostly a place for very wealthy people to meet with some anonymity. Sebastian probably has to provide the drinks and women. what I'd like to see explored is that "gentleman's club" that Norman Osborn used to hang out at.

p.s. was Mandarin a member of the Hellfire Club? i remember an image of him appearing once in an issue of X-Men that involved Sebastian Shaw and Wilson Fisk going to war.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    The only question would be has a member of her family ever been a member of the Inner Circle? The Van Dyne's have probably been members of the club for generations...and they made weapons. Of course if they were it probably occurred back before Shaw or even his father took over.
    we know practically nothing about Jan's mother. this might be a way to explore her. i can't imagine Vernon being interested in attending a Hellfire Club function; unless he was looking for funding. now that the x-verse isn't as separate from the rest of the marvel universe, they should start adding to the continuity. there is already a tie between the Club and an ancestor of Steve Rogers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardensnake View Post
    This really sounds like a storyline that Marvel should explore. The Wasp is very underused and really should be fleshed out a whole lot more. I would love to see this.

William
    Knowing Marvel they will just shoehorn Nadia into the story.