Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What's up everyone? I used to be a member before the crackdown in April (if you never saw me it's cause I was an infrequent poster in the Ultimate Marvel board), and after seeing this thread I just had to put my two cents in.
    In regards to PBS, I'm not really a fan. If you're looking for a nice, simple superhero universe, with self-contained single series, yet a cohesive universe, this isn't really the place to go. Sure, it does all those things right, technically, but there's just not much of a shared universe to be had. There's only 3 ongoings at any given time, and if you're just not into one of them, you only have 2 to look forward to every month. 2 Past Midnight looks cool. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    Also, like someone else said earlier, their superheroes aren't terribly original.
    Captain Midnight = Captain America
    X = Punisher/Rorschach
    Brain Boy = Tony Stark with telekinesis
    Skyman = Falcon
    Now.. to be fair, I haven't read all that much, so don't take my opinion too seriously. I've read Brain Boy 0, the FCBD2014 issue, and the free PBS webseries. I really enjoyed the FCBD issue but it's not going to go anywhere any time soon... Brain Boy was very disappointing, because he was the character that looked most intriguing to me. The art was super off-putting, and the storytelling was just plain lazy. I realize that it's a 0 issue and not a #1, but if Dark Horse is gonna release it for free, this is going to be my first exposure to him. And the PBS webseries... is boring as f***. It's 5 (very short) issues in and I was struggling to stay awake.
    It seems like Dark Horse just isn't putting much effort into it, which is sad because they're about to lose Star Wars and the Whedonverse can't hold up the publisher by itself.

Onto Valiant!
    I just recently found Valiant, and it has blown my mind! I am completely enamored with it right now, and plan on dropping almost all of my DC/Marvel stuff so I can get everything Valiant (and DynaKey). The universe is air-tight, and the crossovers don't feel overbearing. Each series is extremely well thought-out and a lot of love is put into every issue. On top of that, you don't have to read anything else to understand what's going on in any single series. Even if there's a crossover/event, you can just ignore it and you'll still understand what's going on. The line is made up of many different superhero styles and genres, so there is literally something for everyone. Sci-fi, comedy, teen, Conan-esque, futuristic, team-up, super-soldier, vigilante, cosmic, dark, fun, supernatural... you name it.
    The only book that was lame was Shadowman, but even that was pretty awesome at points. If you like Dr. Strange/Ghost Rider/JLD you'd like it. Hopefully Dr. Mirage'll be better. I would list all the titles, but I really don't want to make this post longer than it already is. Just know that legitimately every single series is good. Some may not be for you. For example I'm not really into cosmic or Conan-esque (there's gotta be a better word for that) stuff, so X-O Manowar and Eternal Warrior aren't really my thing, but for people who are into that kind of stuff?: they're fantastic. One thing that should be mentioned is that PBS is severely lacking in comedy books. Archer & Armstrong is pretty hilarious and satirical but it's not, in itself, a comedy book. Whereas Quantum & Woody is straight-up comedy gold. If you like humor in your comics, you're doing yourself a disservice by not reading it. I find myself literally laughing out loud during like every other page. (Dear god, that damn goat is hilarious)
    QW_004_crop-600x507.jpg
    Either way, good luck finding a better superhero universe than Marvel or DC! (I'm loving Gold Key as well)
    Last edited by TheFerg714; 07-26-2014 at 05:32 AM.